1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Hostgator Shared Hosting for a 1000gb+ site ?

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by Koala, Oct 29, 2011.

Hi
    I have been out of the webmaster business for a while and found an opportunity to buy a good website.

it uses more than 1TB bandwidth a month. not much processes and only one database. basically most of the bandwidth used for images and downloadable files.

I want to know that is hostgator business (shared) hosting plan good for this ? they do offer unlimited bandwidth but would it be a problem using 1T bandwidth ? (disregarding memory and processor usage)

please share your opinion. thanks!

Koala, Oct 29, 2011 IP
  2. eroker

eroker Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have had good experience with HostGator but they tend to still be monitoring the bandwidth and the rate of visitors. I have been contacted by them to change and install plugins so I didn't use to much of their BW when it was unlimited.

Have you talked to them via Live Support Yet?

eroker, Oct 29, 2011 IP
  3. elicitservers

elicitservers Peon

Best Answers:
    Personally I'd probably suggest you go with a VPS or low-end dedicated server, pushing 1+ Tb bandwidth is sure to at least attract attention for a shared account, not only that you never know when you'll have sudden bursts of traffic/resource usage and could end up getting suspended. VPS's are less restricted in this sense. Not saying HG wont let you push 1+ Tb of bandwidth on a shared account, but personally I believe when working with numbers like that its always good to know the explicit limitations of the service you're being provided.

elicitservers, Oct 29, 2011 IP
  4. WSWD

WSWD Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm pretty sure HostGator will not let you get away with 1TB of bandwidth. In fact, I don't think any shared host will. That is WAY beyong what you should be using on a shared account.

As Elicitservers said, you're into VPS or dedicated server territory.

WSWD, Oct 29, 2011 IP
  5. RonBrown

RonBrown Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That's the problem with your question. You can't ignore memory and processor usage, because without considering them your question is fanciful rather than being based in reality. Any answer you receive will be of no real-world benefit to you.

As for 1TB of data transfer, that's only just over 3mpbs. I doubt Hostgator will pay much attention to that, but....and the reason you can't ignore other factors....is that you could fall foul of a shared resource usage policy - network bandwidth in this instance (in the true sense of this word, not as a substitute for "data transfer").

So, without considering other factors, it's impossible for anyone to say.

As for Hostgator monitoring bandwidth being proof of anything. They'd be fools if they didn't. That doesn't mean that unlimited isn't genuinely on offer.

RonBrown, Oct 29, 2011 IP
  6. WSWD

WSWD Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    On shared hosting? The HG business plan is somewhere around $11/mo. Even if each of their servers had a dedicated 100mbit connection (which is highly-doubtful), if every user was allowed to use 1TB of data, it wouldn't even come close to paying for the server or bandwidth. I know they're oversold, but 1TB is just not appropriate for shared hosting.

WSWD, Oct 29, 2011 IP
  7. HSJason

HSJason Peon

Best Answers:
    It's probably not the bandwidth that will do it, but the resource usage or inodes on a shared plan. I would advise not going with any shared host, unlimited or not for this site.

HSJason, Oct 29, 2011 IP
  8. sachin410

sachin410 Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    If the bandwidth is used for images and file downloads, the bandwidth shouldn't be a problem for you.

How big is your database? If it is a big database, then it can be a problem for you as it may overload the server.

sachin410, Oct 29, 2011 IP
  9. Koala

Koala Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Articles:
    the database is only less than 2mb.

Koala, Oct 30, 2011 IP
  10. nikvn

nikvn Active Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think that shared hosting is suitable to your site. It's better to talk to them. You can always use their live chat feature

nikvn, Nov 11, 2011 IP
  11. blockdos

blockdos Active Member

Best Answers:
    no way hostgator or any of the oversellers would let you use 1tb bandwidth a month. Its all a big resource usage/inode loophole and you will NEVER be able to use a fraction of ANY of the allocations. Its all a scam but continues to go on as USA laws allow you to flat out lie, rip people off with fine print and loopholes as well as mislead clients. A great country eh?

UPDATE: i would actually be willing to make a bet that you could upload a 1mb or 10 mb file and find some way to get it downloaded over and over using 3 mbs of bandwidth and see if you get suspended, You will within a day or two.

blockdos, Nov 29, 2011 IP
  12. WSWD

WSWD Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    All it takes is one lawsuit, but nobody has the time or money to do it, I guess. Ever wonder why Verizon wireless no longer offers "unlimited" data plans? They got their behinds sued off a couple times after they were shutting people down when they reached unprinted quotas that were never published or agreed upon in the contract.

Web hosting is one of the few industries where people can get away with this crap. Like I said, all it's going to take is a few lawyers, or a class action lawsuit against some of the big companies (HostGator, BlueHost, etc.) and it will be done away with. Unfortunately, they'll just find something else to use for account suspension, i.e. CPU usage or inodes, or something ridiculous. They'll never tell you that you're being terminated because of your bandwidth or disk space usage.

WSWD, Nov 29, 2011 IP
  13. dumindushalika

dumindushalika Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If you have such a good site, why don't you go for a VPS or dedicated server? Don't run your site in a risk. Shared web hosting has more resource limitations.

dumindushalika, Nov 29, 2011 IP