1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Free forum software where I can put ad banners?

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by FreddyGdiP, Oct 20, 2011.

This is my very first posting here on the forum. I´m planning on starting a forum and the final goal is to generate revenue through advertirsers on the forum (side banners, top and bottom banners, etc). For what I´ve been reading VB bulletin is the best forum software out there and probably also the best for my intentions but -for the time being- it is a bit out of my reach, budgetwise. So, my questions are: Is there any free forum software that lets me have advertirsers and can -eventually- have all of its content transpassed to a VB forum? and: How can I generate revenue from a forum? Thanks for the help in advance!

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
    FreddyGdiP, Oct 20, 2011 IP
  2. DJboutit2

DJboutit2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    DJboutit2, Oct 20, 2011 IP
  3. FreddyGdiP

FreddyGdiP Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks, DJbouti2! I´m looking into Mybb right now and it seems like a good option. I guess my next question is: Will it be possible to move all the content of the forum from Mybb to VB if I needed to do so?

FreddyGdiP, Oct 21, 2011 IP
  4. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There are scripts that will move the forum from MyBB to VB, i had mine moved. I cant remember what its called but its readily available.

But the smart move would be to start off on the platform that you wish to have because moving the forum isnt always an open and shut thing, themes differ, changes need to be made and many things pop up.

If you start off on the foundation that you want, build it the right way and have a clear picture of what you wish to achieve, it will be far better than changing later:)

snooks, Oct 21, 2011 IP
  5. asoltech

asoltech Peon

Best Answers:
    nice post. very informative
    thanks a lot.

asoltech, Oct 22, 2011 IP
  6. sambling

sambling Well-Known Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    MyBB or SMF are the best, either would be good for you.

sambling, Oct 23, 2011 IP
  7. FreddyGdiP

FreddyGdiP Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the advice, everyone! Snooks, I completely agree with you about starting in the platform that will the definitive one but, as I said, it has to do with a budget decision at this point, so I think I´m going to give it a go with MyBB.Since I´m at it, another question: The url I intend to use for the forum is on a Linux webhost. I know my way around Internet and forums and all but, I know nothing about programming. Is there any issues I will have do deal with having a Linux host or is it the same as having a Windows one? What is the difference between them? Again, thanks!

FreddyGdiP, Oct 25, 2011 IP
  8. dumindushalika

dumindushalika Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If you have a general knowlege in HTML, you can done this easily just editing the template files in phpBB.

dumindushalika, Oct 27, 2011 IP
  9. sambling

Best Answers:
    Hosting on linux is just Cpanel hosting, so no you won't need any programming knowledge. :D

sambling, Nov 9, 2011 IP
  10. FreddyGdiP

FreddyGdiP Peon

Best Answers:
    So, I´ve looked around and finally settled for PhpBB free forum software. I´ve spent quite a few hours in how-to forums but eventually finished my site:www.rememberthatmovie.netIt´s a movies forum. The purpose of it is that you describe a scene or the characters or whatever you remember of a movie you don´t remember the name of and the forum users will tell you the name of the movie. Of course, for the time being, I´m answering most of the questions myself but I´m hoping to get enough users to get the thing going. So far I´ve posted links in movie videos in youtube and a few related forums. What else do you suggest, promotion wise? Any input will be greatly appreciated!

FreddyGdiP, Nov 19, 2011 IP
  11. sambling

Best Answers:
    Took a look at it. Few Words of Advice:

1. Most people don't think PHPBB is the best free forum software.
    2. Maybe cut down on the number of boards.
    3. Get a review for the forum ASAP so you know what to work on.

sambling, Nov 19, 2011 IP
  12. JMDomains

JMDomains Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I personally prefer MyBB over any forum software. Not because it's free, but because it has hundreds of add-ons and themes and is a very secure platform. In my experience PHPBB has too many vulnerabilities.

But best of luck with your forum, be sure to keep us up to date with your experience :)

JMDomains, Nov 20, 2011 IP
  13. FreddyGdiP

FreddyGdiP Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the replies!Sambling: I chose PHPBB because I saw a few forums I really liked that where built on that plataform. I agree, it has a lot of boards but they are necessary. Also, what do you mean by getting a review for the forum?JMDomains: Thanks!

FreddyGdiP, Nov 21, 2011 IP
  14. sambling

Best Answers:
    If Phpbb suits you than that's fine :) It is still a good forum platform. By a review I mean going into the reviews section here and asking members what they think. You may also want to get a review from an admin or promotion forum. Two places I can recommend are anotheradminforum.com and my own site forumhoopla.com (I don't actually do the reviews, they're done by a very experienced forum owner- the owner of anotheradminforum and other bigger sites). A review would really clarify both the positive things about the forum and the things you could work on to improve it.

Hope that helps :D

sambling, Nov 23, 2011 IP
  15. BenWilliams

BenWilliams Peon

Best Answers:
    If you are planning to set up a business, then you should invest in advertising . If your forum will be popular , you will earn more money :) So at the beginning you need a marketing strategy and complete advertising management solution

BenWilliams, Jan 18, 2016 IP