1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

DMOZ has learnt - Became smarter in dealing with expired domains

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by samdar, Oct 16, 2011.

I was tracking couple of DMOZ listed domains for purchasing them. Previously these link will stick to DMOZ for years together before they track and deleted them for all.

However lately I have observed that the moment a DMOZ listed domain expires they are washed out of the directory. I have seen this behavior for multiple domains. I am sure they might have some automated tool to scan and delete the expired websites.

I was like "Good, DMOZ has become smarter than they were!"

Thought of sharing this observation. Have you had any similar experience? Feel free to share it here.

samdar, Oct 16, 2011 IP
  2. Agent000

Agent000 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    They have been doing that for years!!!

Agent000, Oct 17, 2011 IP
  3. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    I very much doubt that was your reaction. More like "Damn they're onto me" :)

dcristo, Oct 17, 2011 IP
  4. samdar

samdar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You got me man! I was like WTH ! I got a domain as it is listed in DMOZ and now they screwed me up !!!

Oh is it...? I didnt know that... Thanks for pointing out.

samdar, Oct 17, 2011 IP
  5. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    He didn't know that either, as he was lying to you. Before the recent upgrades to the ODP they in no way shape or form had the technology to make something like that happen. Heck, they couldn't even correctly kick oyut 404ed pages, so there is no way on the web they were automatically nixing expired domains. I do not know if they are doing it now, but I can certainly say they have NOT been doing it for years... at least not automatically as you are implying.

What they have been doing for years though is if they notice a listed DMOZ site that expires they will check it, or flag it, most of it done manually. And depending on where the domain was bought, their bot could flag it, but it was certainly far from an instant process, sometimes it would take weeks or months, or heh, years!

What would be nice is if they could figure out how to tell which of the thousands upon thousands of YAHOO GROUPS they have listed are still active/open. The ability to find 404ed listings, and better yet, if they could automatically yank out parked pages... but is anyone really holding their breath for such things?

Qryztufre, Oct 17, 2011 IP
  6. newspanel

newspanel Peon

Best Answers:
    yep, they have some tech that does it for them automatically apparently,

newspanel, Oct 17, 2011 IP
  7. samdar

samdar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Interesting..... They should really focus to add value to the site or it will die for sure in the years to come.

samdar, Oct 17, 2011 IP
  8. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I have warned before that purchasing a DMOZ listed site does not mean it will continue to be listed it will be checked to see if it deserves to be listed before being relisted,, yes we have the technology, so don't waste money trying to buy your way in.

Anonymously, Oct 19, 2011 IP
  9. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    How long have you had it?

Qryztufre, Oct 20, 2011 IP
  10. samdar

samdar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well, I don't see it being done very often. I can list down 100s' of expired domains that are still there in your index.

samdar, Oct 20, 2011 IP
    Qryztufre likes this.
  11. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    And i can see hundreds of thousands that arent expired :) Given theres around 5 million listings or so, its not a 2 minute job keeping on top of the changes. But, people like to whinge rather than help........

snooks, Oct 21, 2011 IP
  12. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Help with what? The ODP HAS the technology!

Unless Anonymously meant humans doing it... which if that's the case, I guess it would be another instance of DMOZ changing the meaning of things.

*shrug*

As for seeing hundreds of thousands not expired, lol. With 5 million listings, one would HOPE that there are more then hundreds of thousands not expired, lol.

Qryztufre, Oct 21, 2011 IP
  13. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Not you Q....i dont think you are allowed to help, are you? Regarding technology, even the best tools need a human eye kept on things.

snooks, Oct 21, 2011 IP
  14. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Great,if we have not got to them yet, please do list them with the update button on every page. As they say at Tescos "every little helps"

Anonymously, Oct 21, 2011 IP
  15. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    O M F G

That is your technology? LOL, completely and totally F U N N Y!

You seriously said that you have the technology to find these things and you honestly meant the report button?

Yes, the ODP certainly is top notch! Web 2.0 all the way! Congrats on being state of the art!

Qryztufre, Oct 22, 2011 IP
  16. samdar

samdar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I am new to this directory section. Is 'Anonymously' an editor or some one who is a part of DMOZ team?

I think the issue boils down to the fact that editors are not getting paid. If editors are getting paid, and if there is some sort of revenue generating system, the technology might be taken care and people will spend good amount of time to clean the mess.

I think since things are done voluntarily, there is no hard and fast rule.

At the same time, when I think of Wikipedia, those guys rock. Though it's a non profit organization, they do a great job in providing world class information.

samdar, Oct 24, 2011 IP
  17. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes.

That would be Yahoo! :).

jimnoble, Oct 25, 2011 IP
  18. samdar

samdar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Jim, I know! But you guys should have some sort of revenue mechanism. I am insisting this because a revenue will feed the site to maintain quality. Right now if I look at some submissions, I see sites that were developed in 2000 and 2005 which doesnt make sense now. Just wondering who owns ODP - Is it AOL ? In that case I am sure they would have 1000 other things to bother.

samdar, Oct 25, 2011 IP
  19. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Yes,. its AOL. And yes they have a thousand other more important things to deal with. It's hard to even find a mention of the ODP on any AOL site.

Qryztufre, Oct 26, 2011 IP
  20. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    and NO we don't want a revenue mechanism. Editors work as a hobby and AOL seem willing to allow editors to work that way. We also don't want to be building categories for webmsters to have a free listing service, we build for those who want to use categorised data for searching, not another directory that runs because of its funding from webmasters.

Anonymously, Oct 29, 2011 IP