1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

help me , i want to run a forum in my site

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by forexking1, Oct 19, 2011.

i want to run a forum in my site , how much i must pay for vbulletin ? i want cheap price ...is users prefer vbulletin than other forums format ? and i want to know is forum format increase or decrease clients ?

forexking1, Oct 19, 2011 IP
  2. vpslist

vpslist Peon

Best Answers:
    vBulletin is not cheap and the basic license is $195 USD. I would not trust getting a license traded / sold to me by anyone other than vBulletin's official site. Once you get the license, you're going to need a virtual private server or dedicated server to run vBulletin on. Something tells me you are going to try to run this on a cPanel web hosting server.

vpslist, Oct 20, 2011 IP
  3. forexking1

forexking1 Banned

Best Answers:
    you mean it must run on dedicate server and do not work with regular share hosting

forexking1, Oct 20, 2011 IP
  4. vpslist

vpslist Peon

Best Answers:
    vBulletin will not work on a shared hosting environment.

Reasons
    1. High load on the MySQL server
    2. Exceeds the MySQL database limit size

Anyone who tells you otherwise is wrong or trying to sell you shared webhosting they run and if they are not a large company, they may take your money and suspend you one day.

You need either a dedicated server or a virtual private server. I recommend the virtual private server route and you will need a minimum of 1024mb of RAM, with more RAM the better. I think 2 gigabytes of RAM with 2 gigabytes+ of swap space will be sufficient for you.

vpslist, Oct 20, 2011 IP
  5. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    These statements are totally untrue & incorrect.

You can run a vbulletin site on almost any vhosted account, the main thing to NOT do is:
    1. Install a bunch of hacks/addons.
    2. Not properly adjust some basic tuning settings in vb's admincp.

The basic VB resource usage is fine on many vhost's, such as hostgator, 1and1, host rocket etc....

AnthonyG, Oct 20, 2011 IP
  6. vpslist

vpslist Peon

Best Answers:
    1and1 explicitly says no forums or "high usage" in their MySQL manager so what you are trying to provide is untrue. What are you going to do when your MySQL database exceeds the shared hosting provider's limit, which with 1and1 as an example is 100mb? Do you seriously think you can run a vBulletin forum on a 100mb SQL database? Not likely!

vpslist, Oct 20, 2011 IP
  7. AnthonyG

Best Answers:
  8. vpslist

vpslist Peon

Best Answers:
    I install vBulletin for a living. What do you do?

vpslist, Oct 20, 2011 IP
  9. AnthonyG

Best Answers:
    wow, what a response....

what does installing vbulletin have to do with your incorrect statements?

10. vpslist

vpslist Peon

Best Answers:
    I've installed it before (would bet more times in 3 months than you ever have in your lifetime) and since you did not reply, I think you're just here to play devil's advocate and waste this user's time and money.

1. MOST (1and1 actually upgraded to 1 gigabytes for MySQL databases) shared hosting providers have 100mb SQL database limits.
    2. The load generated from PHP and MySQL (you would know this if you're a system administrator) is very high from vBulletin
    3. I know people who have been kicked off of shared hosting for phpBB and other load producing MySQL/PHP web applications

1and1 didn't say anywhere on their website, but as an ex-customer, I know from installing Wordpress that there was a warning in their MySQL manager saying that forums, chat scripts and other CPU / memory intensive stuff was prohibited.

Now you may reply but you're just going to keep saying "incorrect statements" all the time and never back anything up beyond that. This is typical DP at it's finest: a self-proclaimed expert, with no technical knowledge, going on the statements of what a bunch of broke / scammers tried to do

Edit:
    HostGator said vBulletin is fine but if you need to import a larger than 2 gigabyte database, they have to do it for you. Absolutely hilarious that a shared hosting provider, for $4 per month, will allow you to run such an intensive web application. Guess what? The performance must be absolutely awesome for that $4 per month (sarcasm)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
    vpslist, Oct 20, 2011 IP
  11. AnthonyG

Best Answers:
  12. vpslist

vpslist Peon

Best Answers:
    You show your lack of experience in system administration because I keep bringing up that this limit was in the MYSQL DATABASE MANAGER and you keep referencing a page without no technical details.

Did you even read what I just posted previously?

You're out for an argument and trying to win by any means necessary, even if it'll compromise what you are trying to say and how it will make you look. I pointed out that 1and1 updated their MySQL databases to 1 gigabyte and you didn't even care to mention that. Ok, lets say his forum gets busy 6 months down the road - I have a forum with 1.4 gigabytes with about 100 active users after about 6 months like in my exmaple. What do you suggest this guy do when this happens?

What do you also suggest when he needs to replicate his MySQL database, install memcache or any kind of PHP addon, or anything else system administrator related?

vpslist, Oct 20, 2011 IP
  13. AnthonyG

Best Answers:
    I dont recall anyplace in my posts that i stated he would be able to host his site for a lifetime at any of those hosts on a vhost package.

Your original statements are still incorrect, no matter how you try to defend your posts.

You do NOT need anything other than a basic hosting package to start a vbulletin forum.

As for my experience, seeing as you keep asking, ive been a member on vbulletin.com & org since 2001, so if you really want to resort to using the size of your epenis, i can easily do that, and for future reference, my username is not AnthonyG on either of those sites, its just what i use here. In the end, using your epenis to defend your incorrect statements in your first 2 posts, isnt going to work.

14. vpslist

vpslist Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok so you never stated he would be able to host his site for a lifetime, so why would you even advocate hosting on shared web hosting if he's going to ultimately move 6 months down the road? It's like my mom would say: are you arguing for the sake of arguing or do you have a point?

vpslist, Oct 20, 2011 IP
  15. AnthonyG

Best Answers:
    Heres a simple point, this is just a average as well.

vps = 35 a month, thats for a decent host with 512mb of ram, which he wont use as he is a start up vbulletin user with NO users or posts.

vhost = 10 a month

6 month cost for vps 210.00

6 month cost for vhost acct 60.00

If the host is good, they will move him for free to the vps that he MIGHT possibly need 6 months down the road, thats IF he grows.

So whos wasting his money, you or me?

16. vpslist

vpslist Peon

Best Answers:
    If you're paying $35 for 512mb worth of RAM, you seriously need to shop around

vpslist, Oct 20, 2011 IP
  17. WizIMS

WizIMS Member

Best Answers:
    Hey man

Vbulletin is like 150$

If you want a ready forum with vbulletin and everything let me know I have one for sale

WizIMS, Oct 20, 2011 IP
  18. AnthonyG

Best Answers:
    You seriously need to read first, then post.

19. vpslist

vpslist Peon

Best Answers:
    Who, besides people who do not know better, are paying $35 per month for 512mb of RAM on a virtual private server? You must be.

I get 512mb of guaranteed RAM from an established, well known provider for $4 per month and that includes 1000 gigabytes of bandwidth per month.

Got anything else for me?

vpslist, Oct 20, 2011 IP
  20. vpslist

vpslist Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh, since you mentioned Hostrocket who has a similar policy as 1and1 so if you have a forum, you're doing good and patting yourself on the back that you're only paying $5 per month until one day your forum is offline, domain suspended and you have a nasty email from Hostrocket in your inbox saying account suspended for too much load on the shared MySQL database:

vpslist, Oct 20, 2011 IP