1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Iran Attempts to Assasinate U.S. Ambassador to Saudi Arabia

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by Corwin, Oct 11, 2011.

"the plot included the assassination of the Saudi Arabian ambassador to the United States, Adel Al-Jubeir, with a bomb and subsequent bomb attacks on the Saudi and Israeli embassies in Washington, D.C. Bombings of the Saudi and Israeli embassies in Buenos Aires, Argentina, were also discussed, according to the U.S. officials. "
    http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/us-iran-tied-terror-plot-washington-dc-disrupted/story?id=14711933

An attempted assassination attempt of a diplomat is an act of war, regardless of whether it succeeds or not. When Saddam Hussein planned to assassinate former President George H.W. Bush in 1993, President Bill Clinton brought fire and brimstone down upon Iraq: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/inatl/longterm/iraq/timeline/062793.htm

I watched the new conference with Eric Holder. he brought the conference to an abrupt end when he was asked about Fast and Furious.

I wonder what Obama will do??? Will he be as bold as Bill Clinton was?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
    Corwin, Oct 11, 2011 IP
  2. browntwn

browntwn Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I do not think an attempt to assinate the Saudi amabassador to America is the same as attacking a former US President, but obviously is a serious incident that demands a response. I am not sure what is an appropriate response.

What do you think the response should be?

browntwn, Oct 11, 2011 IP
  3. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    In the middle of a pair of embarrassing domestic scandals (Soylendra and Fast & Furious) that are increasingly gaining more news time than the administration would prefer... I'd greet any causus beli from afar that requires swift and decisive military retaliation with a healthy dose of skepticism. The term "Wag the Dog" comes to mind.

robjones, Oct 11, 2011 IP
  4. Corwin

Corwin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As the OP, I didn't want to be the first to say it.

Corwin, Oct 11, 2011 IP
  5. Bushranger

Bushranger Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Were they going to kill him in DC or just put the bombs there, or kill him in Saudi & blow up the buildings in DC?

Bushranger, Oct 11, 2011 IP
  6. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    It's nothing more than a "distraction"... Probably a complete fabrication.

Mia, Oct 11, 2011 IP
    Realm likes this.
  7. Corwin

Corwin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/10/11/iranians-charged-over-terror-plot-in-us/
    "A criminal complaint was unsealed in federal court in New York Tuesday naming Manssor Arbabsiar and Gholam Shakuri as the two alleged plotters, both with ties to Iran. Arbabsiar has been jailed in New York since September and Shakuri remains at large."

Manssor Arbabsiar was put in jail last month. Gholam Shakuri is still running around. They decided to announce this plot today, the day the Fast and Furious subpoenas are being handed out.

Corwin, Oct 11, 2011 IP
  8. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Holder's not very smart, but he realize that there are people out there dumber than he.

Mia, Oct 11, 2011 IP
  9. Corwin

Corwin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Reminds me of a piece of dialog from that great 1945 movie Caesar and Cleopatra:

Cleopatra: It is not that I am so clever but that the others are so stupid.
    Pothinus: Truly that is the great secret.

Claude Rains made a terrific Julius Caesar. Wonderful dialog in that movie!

Corwin, Oct 11, 2011 IP
  10. babak44

babak44 Active Member

Best Answers:
    the best response and retaliation could be assassin Saudi ambassador in Tehran by USA! lol

guess maybe you wait till your two hikers released!
    anyway I'm glad that plot neutralized. somewhat looks like "24" serial!

babak44, Oct 11, 2011 IP
  11. Obamanation

Obamanation Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'd say the plot is real, and the timing of the release of the information was political(like all things with Obama). The arrests were actually made weeks ago, but Obama kept it as an ace in the hole until the subpoenas started arriving.

Obamanation, Oct 12, 2011 IP
  12. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Whether its real or not, why are we foiling a plot to kill a diplomat from another arab country?

Mia, Oct 12, 2011 IP
  13. Obamanation

Obamanation Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Obamanation, Oct 12, 2011 IP
  14. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Ferdinand and his wife getting shot and starting WWI vs. some unknown and obscure diplomat from Saudi Arabia is hardly cause for concern of the outbreak of WWIII.

I'd think if you want to instigate conflict, you're gonna want to shoot someone a bit higher up on the totem pole.

Mia, Oct 12, 2011 IP
  15. The Webby

The Webby Peon

Best Answers:
    It is, specially when the Diplomat is the Saudi Arabian ambassador.
    It's not 'some' 'unknown' and 'obscure' diplomat, it is the ambassador of your key ally in middle east.

Assassination of an Ambassador or High Commissioner may easily strain relationship of two countries.
    Think what would have happened if it had actually happened.

Assassination of a highest level foreign diplomat and then bombing of foreign diplomatic missions on American soil. It would have been a nightmare. Worse than 9/11 on international scale.

PS: It reminds me of a conversation Mike and I were having few days ago.. Speculating something big before 2012 election involving terrorism, America, Israel and Iran, this might be it.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
    The Webby, Oct 12, 2011 IP
  16. ApocalypseXL

ApocalypseXL Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The ambassador of Israel is a Saudi ? :confused:

ApocalypseXL, Oct 12, 2011 IP
  17. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    I think everyone is giving this a lot more weight than it deserves.

I doubt Iran had anything to do with this, and I would be completely surprised if any of this was anymore than a fabrication designed to divert attention away from Holder and onto Obama's presidential election mission.

The Saudi Ambassador if assassinated would likely have occurred on Saudi soil and the responsibility for any protection or blame of lack there of would fall solely on the Saudis' not the US.

I think a great many people give this scenario more credit for death and destruction - doom and gloom than is warranted.

Mia, Oct 12, 2011 IP
  18. The Webby

The Webby Peon

Best Answers:
    *Sigh*.. Learn English dude.. You will do yourself a favor

Disclaimer: Text Modified to help your acute reading disorder, or sheer stupidity..

That is a valid point.. And probably true..
    It is also weird that Iran plans the assassination, sponsors it to hire a Mexican drug cartel? The fuck?
    And how conveniently the plotter walks to no one else but the FBI informant? How stupid is that?

But I wasn't going into whether it was true or not, I was just saying that IF true, the matter isn't something of no importance.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
    The Webby, Oct 12, 2011 IP
  19. ApocalypseXL

ApocalypseXL Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Helvetti - go buy some N2O . You'll be funnier .

ApocalypseXL, Oct 12, 2011 IP
  20. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    With guns that Holder supplied them no doubt... Ah the irony.

The entire plot is so flawed... Its just not Iran's style...

It may very well be true, but look at the timing of the release? If that does not smell of NON-ISSUE than what does? Why release this information now? Why not back in April, or May or last month?

Again, I think way too much is being made out of this. You're going to find it very hard to put a strain on the relationship that puts trillions in the pockets of the 10 million princes that inhabit that Jewless region of the middle east...

Only thing that could ever strain our relationship is if we suddenly all start driving Volts. Short of that happening, so long as we drink what they are pumping, we're gonna be just fine.

Mia, Oct 12, 2011 IP