1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Need help with a WordPress Theme

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by jhmattern, Nov 2, 2006.

I have a question specifically regarding the Wave theme for WP, and one more general question.

I'd prefer not to give out the domain yet, as it's for a group project that we don't want released publicly until we get the content up and the promotion started, so hopefully someone's simply familiar with this theme.

In the "noteworthy" column, I'd like to know if it's possible to make the links from the post live from the column. For example, I want some semi-permanent posts there, such as one with just our names and links to our bios. But I don't want people to have to go to the main post to click the links, and just have a static list of names on the main page in the column. Is it possible to make the links active there? Almost everything we put in that column will be links, so if we can't, then we need to move to another theme completely.

My more general question is about Pages in WP. I have a main page I'm setting up for a press room, and it will have several subpages. However, I only want the parent page to be shown in the right column's navigation. I found a plugin (the sidebar page switcher) that gives me a dropdown option box when I create a child page. But when I set it to 'hide', it still shows up in the navigation. :( Any thoughts?

Actually, one more. I'm sorry. ... I use the sociable plugin for another blog w/o any problems, but with this one, when I activate it, the icons show up in a vertical bulleted list instead of side by side. Is this just an issue w/ the theme, or is there a way I can fix that? If I can't use it, it's not the end of the world... just figured it was convenient.

Thanks!

Jenn

jhmattern, Nov 2, 2006 IP
  2. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I figured out the link issue on the home page. :)

But if anyone knows how to get the subpages to not show up in the menu (the plugin didn't work, or I screwed it up somehow), or why the sociable plugin is showing in a vertical list, I'd appreciate any help. :)

EDIT: if it's possible to somehow easily just indent the sub-pages instead of having them directly below the parent, that would help too. Anything? :)

Jenn

3. 30k Challenge

30k Challenge Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm a little groggy but if you don't mind giving 1 person the link I'll take a look at it for you.

Did you replace <?php wp_list_pages([...]); ?> with <?php sps_list_pages([...]); ?> as noted in the readme? There are a few other options there if you didn't see all of it. It's not an actual readme file, they wrote the instructions inside the actual plugin file.

I have never used the social plugin you are speaking of but did it have some code you had to edit into the sidebar? If so you probably got it between something that defaults to a vertical list (maybe <ul> or <li>.

Cheers.

30k Challenge, Nov 2, 2006 IP
    jhmattern likes this.
  4. 30k Challenge

30k Challenge Peon

Best Answers:
    To your edit, yes subpages can be indented but I'm not sure what code they change. I've seen it in several themes.

5. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    The problem was that I believe it said that change was supposed to go in the sidebar file. When I went to edit that file, the code that's supposed to change isn't in there... just something about a dynamic sidebar, which I'm assuming is because of the specific theme. :(

30k Challenge likes this.
  6. 30k Challenge

30k Challenge Peon

Best Answers:
    Right, some themes do their own tweaks and give you a new code that will work. If the site isn't live try replacing their page code with the one given with the plugin and see if it works.

Edit: Which also brings up your vertical list. It is possible that theme has a wrapper on the entire sidebar that specifies a vertical list in the css and causes your social plugin to display pages that way too.