1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why is someone monitoring my site with pingdom.com?

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by solid7, Nov 2, 2006.

solid7, Nov 2, 2006 IP
  2. kausik

kausik Active Member

Best Answers:
    May be your competitor is doing it to track every thing on your site. How much traffic you get, what kind of marketing strategy you may be using .... etc etc.

kausik, Nov 2, 2006 IP
  3. solid7

solid7 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have no marketing strategy, other than try to be #1 in Google. For this site, I don't need any marketing. My traffice is 1000 unique visitors a month on average. Low, I know, but it's all that I need.

So pingdom.com can tell someone all that?

solid7, Nov 2, 2006 IP
  4. iBold

iBold Peon

Best Answers:
    of course not. I'm willing to bet it was either a typo or someone just wanted to see how pingdom.com worked (seems they have a free trial). This site just lets them know if your website is up or not.

If you check out their blog, it also seems that the owner checks up on other sites just to report back on their uptime.

iBold, Nov 2, 2006 IP
  5. Caronet-Hesham

Caronet-Hesham Peon

Best Answers:
    Don't worry too much about it..you can simply block the site's IP from accessing your server/site

Caronet-Hesham, Nov 4, 2006 IP
  6. Pingdom

Pingdom Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi,

I just noticed this thread and wanted to make sure there are no misunderstandings about what we are doing.

Yes, we do monitor the uptime for a large number of websites, but that specific visit comes from research we are currently doing.

We definitely have no sinister motives with this. We are scanning through domain names to gather general statistics such as web server info, HTTP status codes, etc. The aim is to create something along the lines of http://www.domaintools.com/, and right now we are in the process of building up our database, which takes time (there are a lot of domain names out there...)

Pingdom, Nov 14, 2006 IP