1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Would appreciate your opinion on my website.

Discussion in 'Design' started by wallpaperblogger, Sep 7, 2011.

Site: christopherprins.com

CMS: Wordpress

I've recently updated my sites design/layout and wanted to see what you thought of it? I wanted to have a look that was light and soft in an attempt to draw a little more attention to the content.

The front page shows the latest posts I've made, sub is seperated into 2 columns, one for each category. Left side shows the latest article related posts, and the right, the latest images I've taken.

For the about page I wanted some thing a little different to what i usually have, so I broke it up into 2 parts, "Bio" and "Location". I was also thinking of adding a third showing the equipment used, what do you think?

All posts that in the "image" category go to the "Gallery" page, but not the blog. I wasn't sure if I should use 2 or three columns for this page. If you have any ideas on what would look better i would love to hear them. Clicking on the image open the image in lightbox, but if the title is clicked then it will take you to the post page where they are able to read something about the photograph.

The blog page has been kept rather clean and simple. Showing the latest article posts in the content area, and a right sidebar. I didn't want to go filling the sidebar with too much crap, all I have added is the facebook like thing, feedburner subscription (which still need to have images posts added to the feed), and a widget that shows the 3 latest images. Do you think anything else should be added? I am also able to add widgets and other stuff to the footer section if required.

The contact page could still do with a little...something, I was thinking of just centering the contact form, or adding a second column (maybe even removing the sidebar) and adding personal details etc. and another mini map?

Would love to hear you thoughts. Feel free to pull out the axe and "cut away".

wallpaperblogger, Sep 7, 2011 IP
  2. wallpaperblogger

wallpaperblogger Guest

Best Answers:
    crap, just realized i posted this in the wrong group. sorry.

wallpaperblogger, Sep 7, 2011 IP
  3. loungebiz

loungebiz Peon

Best Answers:
    My overall opinion, i love your clean and tidy design.
    Your layout is simple and easily to understand. Just try not to decorate it with a complicated widget which somehow for my opinion can be a bit annoying for some reader.
    For contact, better centered the form and keep it that way.

loungebiz, Sep 7, 2011 IP
  4. SpeedyJay

SpeedyJay Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Clean indeed. The only thing I would modify: the header landscape pic on homepage is a bit large; and those on /about and /blog don't really fit the rest of the site's design.
    But overall it's a nice website. Congrats :)

SpeedyJay, Sep 8, 2011 IP
  5. incakola

incakola Peon

Best Answers:
    Very nice use of the Parallelus theme.

incakola, Sep 8, 2011 IP
  6. ajwalsh

ajwalsh Peon

Best Answers:
    I really like it! The two column layout on the homepage looks great, and makes it really clear what there is to do. One suggestion for the blog posts: use more paragraph breaks. A lot of visitors have trouble making it through a long block of text, and want to see 4-5 lines max before a new paragraph.

That is an interesting break-down in the about page, but I think the inclusion of "location" works well. Equipment would be nice as well, but I think three columns across would be too cluttered. Maybe below one of the columns?

For the interior pages, I love how you've kept the clutter to a minimum. So many bloggers fill up sidebars with pointless widgets, but you have a clear call to action with the Facebook like box and feedburner subscription. Of course, the three images are very appropriate. Are these static? Perhaps could they be dynamically rotated somehow from a group of images?

Overall, great site, and I love the photography! I've just "liked" you on Facebook and look forward to seeing more of your work.

ajwalsh, Sep 8, 2011 IP
  7. wallpaperblogger

wallpaperblogger Guest

Best Answers:
    Hey, cheers for the feedback everyone.

@loungebiz
    Cheers mate. I took into consideration your advice on the header, a good point. I replaced the 960px X 300px slideshow with a 960px X 150px static image, I like t better too, I feel it doesn't draw so much attention from the content. I also centered the contact form.

@incakola
    Hey mate, this one is called Mingle from Themeforest for 40USD.

@ajwalsh
    Thank you very much for the feedback mate, and for the like. I'm going to start those paragraph breaks right now and try and stick to 4 or 5 lines like you mentioned. Glad to hear your thoughts on the about page as well. I was thinking of adding the equipment part at the bottom of those 2 columns, full width...kinda horizontal!? Any thoughts?

Cheers for the feedback on the interior pages. The three images you're referring to are the three most recent images added to the gallery. Hmm..maybe I should put a small title above them instead of having people guess what they are there for.

wallpaperblogger, Sep 9, 2011 IP
  8. eric fransisco

eric fransisco Peon

Best Answers:
    it is good indeed :)
    you better showed your dawn :)

eric fransisco, Sep 9, 2011 IP
  9. wallpaperblogger

wallpaperblogger Guest

Best Answers:
    @SpeedyJay

Thank you very much mate. You've absolutely right about the headers. I've changed them to something that fits a little better.

10. wallpaperblogger

wallpaperblogger Guest

Best Answers:
    Thank you Eric.

11. MrNorbi

MrNorbi Member

Best Answers:
    Very nice page. Everything is where it should be. SUPER!

MrNorbi, Sep 9, 2011 IP
  12. freshgreenlove

freshgreenlove Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    clean... nice navigation... nice pages... so i think this is good web :)

freshgreenlove, Sep 13, 2011 IP
  13. wallpaperblogger

wallpaperblogger Guest

Best Answers:
    Thank you :)

wallpaperblogger, Sep 13, 2011 IP
  14. RightTurn

RightTurn Active Member

Best Answers:
    Its clean and profesisonal navigation of your site is looking good but there is still get a scope to improve contents and images of your site to look more attractive

RightTurn, Sep 17, 2011 IP
  15. 1984brightside

1984brightside Peon

Best Answers:
    Lov its clean and v.smooth.,fine

1984brightside, Sep 19, 2011 IP