1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Should I make my own article directory

Discussion in 'Directories' started by volligraphy, Aug 31, 2011.

Do you think it is profitable to make your own article directory? If I do one should it be wordpress? How would I promote it? Or is there soo much in the web that making one isn't worth it?

volligraphy, Aug 31, 2011 IP
  2. Piradzinsh

Piradzinsh Peon

Best Answers:
    It is always worth to start something but you need to have unique approach for doing thing, because right now article directories due to low quality content is affected by Google panda and has significantly dropped in traffic.

Wordpress is easy to manage and customize platform, so for the easy start it is really good choice

Piradzinsh, Aug 31, 2011 IP
  3. carla_easley

carla_easley Peon

Best Answers:
    I think that you should make you own article directory. Wordpress has some article directory plugins which will allow you to accept articles. Just make sure that all content is original before you actually publish them on your site. You can promote is through social media sites, social bookmarking, creating videos about the site, pod casting, and writing press releases.

carla_easley, Aug 31, 2011 IP
  4. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Are you prepared to review every article submitted to ensure quality? And decline any that have poor grammar, are obviously spun or are factually inaccurate?

Have you decided if you want to ensure your site would survive another Panda-style Google update by only accepting unique articles?

Are you ready to check each article to ensure it's unique?

Are you ready to constantly add new categories and audit your current ones?

Are you ready to do all of that and maybe make very little money for quite a while as your site grows?

Are you prepared to go up against Ezine and the other heavily established article directories?

Do you have a plan beyond an idea that you want to make an article directory?

If the answer's no to even one of those questions, then no, you should not make your own article directory. You will spend a lot of time and money and see very few, if any, returns.

YMC, Sep 1, 2011 IP
  5. volligraphy

volligraphy Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for all of the answers. I am willing to take some hard work into this. I also have something in mind which would separate me from other article submission sites. It's still in the works, I'll take a chance as a extra hobby. Thanks guys. I'll come back here with progress updates.

volligraphy, Sep 1, 2011 IP
  6. howinfo

howinfo Peon

Best Answers:
    Article directory can be quite profitable but as mentioned above you really need to be prepared to do some work and make sure that no low quality articles get published. If you don’t accept mass submissions through article distribution sites then you should be ok.

howinfo, Sep 2, 2011 IP
  7. unknownpray

unknownpray Active Member

Best Answers:
    It will be huge responisiblity and it would really take a toll on you. You would have to maintain the quality of the content being posted or else the directory would lose its worth especially after the Panda Update.

unknownpray, Sep 5, 2011 IP
  8. circlecity

circlecity Active Member

Best Answers:
    Article Directories are a waste of time. Most if not all submissions are done by bots so your not getting real authors visiting your site. Lets face it, nobody visits an article directory to read articles.

circlecity, Sep 5, 2011 IP
  9. howinfo

howinfo Peon

Best Answers:
    Bots can only submit articles if you let them do so, in our article directory we only accepts articles from real authors and we also get lot of real visitors to read them, every site is waste of time if you don’t run it properly.

howinfo, Sep 5, 2011 IP
  10. cm2010

cm2010 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Any website would make money if you keep maintain, give some time and have lots of traffic.

cm2010, Sep 5, 2011 IP
  11. Ambassy

Ambassy Peon

Best Answers:
    In order to get quality you'll have to inspect every single article submitted. The problem here is that lots of automated tools (such as senuke) will automatically submit spinned content which ultimately will end up wasting your time.
    I don't think it's worth the time you'll have to spend.

Ambassy, Sep 5, 2011 IP
  12. red panda

red panda Peon

Best Answers:
    You can outsource articles screening but is it worth the effort?

red panda, Sep 6, 2011 IP
  13. flammab1e

flammab1e Member

Best Answers:
    There is a lot of work involved for a hobby. Make sure it's something you actually enjoy and decide if it's your hobby or your business.

flammab1e, Sep 6, 2011 IP
  14. TemplateSpin

TemplateSpin Peon

Best Answers:
    It's a great idea. Make your article directory very active so that many users will bookmark your directory.

TemplateSpin, Sep 7, 2011 IP
  15. selma101

selma101 Peon

Best Answers:
    that's a huge thing to do.. if you think you can do this, sure go ahead..

selma101, Sep 7, 2011 IP
  16. patrick0001

patrick0001 Member

Best Answers:
    Hi YMC, you seem like discourage user create own articles directory. In early stage, every new setup articles directory sure cant compete with Ezine, their site sure facing lot of weakness, e.g. lack of auditor, copy writer, technical support and marketer. But this not a problem, as long as the owner keep improve it, I am sure it can beat Ezine in one day. Let me point out Ezine weaknesses:

1. Slow approval - (it makes user give up their submission and go for alternative)
    2. High cost overhead - (it require lot of staff to maintain directory)
    3. Lot of ads - (those ads is annoying)
    4. Old CMS platform and old design - (newer CMS platform can easily beat them)

Ezine is pioneer, but does not mean they are best. Google is beating Yahoo, 10 years ago no one expected it. A same case happen to our social giant Facebook, it beat friendster and myspace.

Ezine weakness is our opportunity. Modern business model, The fast company will eat slow company

patrick0001, Sep 7, 2011 IP
  17. MiguelZF

MiguelZF Peon

Best Answers:
    You should give it a try

MiguelZF, Sep 8, 2011 IP
  18. amor_fati

amor_fati Active Member

Best Answers:
    As long as you can keep the spammers out to maintain a good quality it can work out well.

amor_fati, Sep 14, 2011 IP
  19. stoner3221

stoner3221 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If your planning on something new and original and not just a clone of the thousands already doing poorly then go for it and devote the years of work it takes to develop a good quality article directory that might earn some money. If your thinking of another monkey see monkey do article directory then your just wasting your time.

stoner3221, Sep 14, 2011 IP
  20. Vimes

Vimes Peon

Best Answers:
    Article directories take a lot of time - you have to review each article to make sure it's decent quality and complies with Adsense guidelines (if you're using Adsense). You also have to do a lot of linking to make your site strong so that people want to contribute articles. It's a lot of work and Google doesn't seem to like article directories as much as they did in the past. I wouldn't do it personally.

Vimes, Sep 14, 2011 IP