1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How much to charge for designing a website?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by Steam, Sep 1, 2011.

Say you make a custom 10+ page website for a company. Some Java but mostly photo shop based to make an eye catching HTML site. How much do you charge if it is for a company that is a Multi-million dollar business (automotive factory). I've done similar sites before I got my degree and would charge anywhere from $800-$1600. But now that I'm on my way I'm curious as to what most charge.

Steam, Sep 1, 2011 IP
  2. Rukbat

Rukbat Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you're experienced, anywhere from US$50-$100/hour. If not, $10-$25, depending on how little experience you have. (If you're really good you can go over $100.)

Rukbat, Sep 1, 2011 IP
  3. pirvan.marian

pirvan.marian Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Depend what you want if you wanna a profesional design, i must pay for a profesional.
    The price depend for each offer.

pirvan.marian, Sep 1, 2011 IP
  4. michandney

michandney Peon

Best Answers:
    @OP, It really depends on how good you are and how you can apply yourself to make the design incredible. You said that you would charge anything between $800-$1600 prior, so you must be really talented. Most normally may charge even more than you do, which is quite right since they deserve it and so do you. You could go higher if you want, especially since it's a multi-million dollar business. However, make sure you try to stick to the customers budget and not demand it, I'm sure you won't.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
    michandney, Sep 1, 2011 IP
  5. Rukbat

Rukbat Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    @michandney:

If you're a professional, you have a price for your labor. If the client can't afford that price, you don't lower your rate, you tell your client to buy less or find a cheaper place.

Next time you need a pound of meat, try telling the butcher that he should lower his price because you can't afford it.

That's the difference between a professional and an amateur. An amateur considers payment a gift, so he's happy with any amount. A professional sells his service for a fixed amount. Of course, the service you get from a professional is usually better than the service you get from an amateur (although I've seen some very nice sites created by amateurs).

Rukbat, Sep 2, 2011 IP
  6. chaujka

chaujka Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Couldn't agree more.
    It is not a negotiation. It's a business.
    In any case, you are giving these people more business (by providing them with an online presence) so you should stick to your rates and not sacrifice your profits for theirs.

chaujka, Sep 2, 2011 IP
  7. Abbigail

Abbigail Peon

Best Answers:
    Depends on the offer and on your experience.

Abbigail, Sep 2, 2011 IP
    ApocalypseXL likes this.
  8. Rukbat

Rukbat Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    A professional is experienced enough to charge professional rates. An amateur shouldn't be charging fees.

Rukbat, Sep 2, 2011 IP
  9. gmonlinegames

gmonlinegames Peon

Best Answers:
    I would charge after your experience. I charge 2000-3000$ each site, but it's highly custom and quality sites.

I calculate the time I would use including all the talking, back and forth and all the changes (in average). This gives me a almost perfect price everytime + that I have some margin to negotiate if they say no

gmonlinegames, Sep 2, 2011 IP
  10. marksmit

marksmit Peon

Best Answers:
    Usually from my point of view for a 10 page custom website average charge is $1000. It may varies. The charge which you mentioned is bit high. Web designing is known as art of creativity. If you provide good service in reasonable rate then you can get lots of client.

marksmit, Sep 3, 2011 IP
  11. trilobyte-

trilobyte- Peon

Best Answers:
    Charge per page would be my best bet. Add extra for the complications of the Java code, etc.

trilobyte-, Sep 3, 2011 IP
  12. ripslyme00

ripslyme00 Peon

Best Answers:
    I dont know if this helps but if you want you can try out this website quickfiverr.com they offer free website design but I think you will have to host with them tho!

ripslyme00, Sep 3, 2011 IP
  13. Rukbat

Rukbat Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    ripslyme00, that's just a Hostgator reseller who will give you something you can find for free all over the web - but they won't give it to you for free.

Rukbat, Sep 3, 2011 IP
  14. ApocalypseXL

ApocalypseXL Notable Member

Best Answers:
    120 USD per hour including QA , counseling , meeting up and talking the details also the site must be supremely well design and crafted . Don't even think about abortions like jQuery to save your ass . Your website should e able to handle millions of visitors , have perfect speed and inpage SEO and the backed should be a combination of server and native code . There are a few hundred variables and they must all be perfect .

If you make 1 mistake on such a project you might as well kill yourself .

ApocalypseXL, Sep 3, 2011 IP
  15. ripslyme00

ripslyme00 Peon

Best Answers:
    I actually tried their service on quickfiverr.com they actually made my website with no cost like they said as long I hosted with their coupon "quickfiverr"
    here is my site makemoneyfastonline.info

ripslyme00, Sep 4, 2011 IP
  16. rltenney

rltenney Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm a professional designer of over 25 years. Most of those years designing packaging, posters and magazine ads for leading companies and brands across the country. I've been designing sites now for about eight years and I can tell you that someone with my level of experience, I will charge a base of $500 for the first page and $125 for each page thereafter. So for ten pages I would be charging a base price of $1,625 to start. That's for just a base site. If they request branding or corporate identity, a shopping cart, multiple unique images, etc. The price goes up with each added component. I do my own photography as well so I can give price breaks where that's concerned.

Things to consider are not only your experience, but your location as well. Most sites I've built were for companies in the Pittsburgh area because that is where I live close to here on the edge of Ohio. However, I had been asked to design sites for various small 'mom & pop' companies in my hometown.... about an hour outside of Pittsburgh. Here, they think I am far overpriced and believe they should only pay $200-300 for a ten page site. I won't touch that with a ten mile pole. In the end, they will get exactly what they pay for.

So base your pricing on how fast or slow you are, how experienced you are at designing a site to compete with others who may be in competition with you, and finally your location. (location does not matter if you are marketing yourself online).

If you're new and it takes you an entire day to design a site, consider charging about $25 to $50 per hour to start. But my advice is to ALWAYS start with a base price and then charge per hour beyond that. If you're more experienced, I wouldn't go below $50 per hour and go up from there depending on your level of experience and skills.

Good luck

rltenney, Sep 6, 2011 IP