1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Web designing

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by Danish01, Aug 18, 2011.

1. ethikz

ethikz Peon

Best Answers:
    Actually now days a Web Designer is someone who works with Photoshop and HTML/CSS. Most companies will require a designer to be able to design a theme/template and then slice it up. A Developer is someone who does coding itself (i.e. PHP,MySQL etc)

@Danish01 - As many have said before, becoming a great designer comes with time and learning the tools then mastering those tools. There are various tutorials online about template/theme designing. All you need to do is Google web design tutorials, web template tutorials. Different variations of those search words will generate hundreds of possibilities.

ethikz, Aug 29, 2011 IP
  2. beven

beven Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    we should learn web designing tools to get some expertise in it

beven, Aug 29, 2011 IP
  3. rahulparekh

rahulparekh Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with it, in essence. But what people are advising the OP to do is learn html/css which shouldn't be the priority. Once he's got a good grasp of photoshop, he can move onto html/css.

rahulparekh, Sep 2, 2011 IP
  4. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    But before that s/he needs to study existing sites and work out why the successful ones have the layout, use of colour that they do. Study the usability issues to ensure that their designs will also have the "best practice".

A beautiful site is pointless if the user can't find your phone number or a similar call to action. A client with 5 complex products will need a totally different design to a client with 5 simple products and different again from the client with 5000 products.

The designer also needs to understand how the target market will determine the colour scheme of a site, screen resolution, what goes above the fold, how advertising is blended (deceptive?) or not. Oldies like dark text on a pale background, technophobes won't like a cluttered screen, techies have higher resolution.

Good design is so much more than being competent with few software packages.

sarahk, Sep 2, 2011 IP
    mmerlinn likes this.
  5. elcuisi

elcuisi Peon

Best Answers:

Thanks did not know

elcuisi, Sep 2, 2011 IP
  6. Abbigail

Abbigail Peon

Best Answers:
    Try web design courses online!

Abbigail, Sep 2, 2011 IP
  7. gmonlinegames

gmonlinegames Peon

Best Answers:
    gmonlinegames, Sep 2, 2011 IP
  8. rahulparekh

rahulparekh Member

Best Answers:
    Those design practices have little to do with actual knowledge of html/css/javascript which was my point. You can (rather should) learn about these things as a beginner, not html/css.

The post I'm quoting should've been the best advice to the OP, actually. Not learn html/css/javascript etc etc.

rahulparekh, Sep 5, 2011 IP
  9. Siddu11

Siddu11 Peon

Best Answers:
    Firstly learn HTML, CSS and javascript from W3Schools.com

Siddu11, Sep 5, 2011 IP
  10. mezner

mezner Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm honestly surprised at the crap people are trying to sell as "web skins". If you want to be a great designer you need to understand how coding works, because then you will understand how an effective site is built. I've done PSD to xhtml and some of the sites were so complex to code, because the designs simply were not meant for the web.

If you can understand coding, then you will be able to understand the basic principals of web design. From there you can learn about color theory and stuff like that.

mezner, Sep 5, 2011 IP
  11. Agent89

Agent89 Peon

Best Answers:
    I found the best way to learn css, html and php is to "reverse engineer it". For example, take a template then make changes to it. You'll learn what affects what that way.

Agent89, Sep 5, 2011 IP
  12. Danish01

Danish01 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey guys thanks for giving your support and advice...

Danish01, Sep 5, 2011 IP
  13. wspeedupw

wspeedupw Peon

Best Answers:
    You have to learn a lot of software operation and do more exercises !I think you will be very good!

wspeedupw, Sep 6, 2011 IP
  14. mmerlinn

mmerlinn Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    This has got to be one of the most USELESS threads EVER. The OP said:

I don't think most of the people who replied even read the question. And most of those that did read the question have NO CLUE what the OP said.

DESIGNING is an ART. If you can't VISUALIZE in your mind's eye, YOU CANNOT BE A DESIGNER. Designing is an ABSTRACT ability, NOT a LOGICAL ability. People that are good designers are seldom good at logical things. CODING IS PURE LOGIC WITH ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ABSTRACT ABOUT IT. Good coders RARELY are good designers.

Getting back to the question. If you want to become a good designer, take art classes, painting classes, clothes designing, or any other type of class where you need to VISUALIZE in your mind's eye. Playing with Photoshop and other designing tools will also be a big help. And spend lots of time studying art, learning what makes good art and what fails as art.

Spend lots of time looking at ads in magazines. Learn what design makes a good ad and what is poorly designed. Same with the internet. When you look at an ad or a webpage, ask yourself if you think the design is good, and if so, why. If not, why not.

If you diligently do that, you will eventually become a good designer. And remember, good designers do not usually become good coders.

mmerlinn, Sep 8, 2011 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  15. ferry_ferries

ferry_ferries Peon

Best Answers:
    Before you get going you need to decided whether you want to be:

• A web designer

or

• A web developer

There is quite the difference between the two and learning both at the same time is a tall order. Your strenghts and interests should determine your path. Are you a techie or are you a creative? Most people are either and team up a person who is good at the other. So buy one book about coding/developing and one about layouts/graphic design and try to discover yourself. "Web design" is a very large ocean with professionals specializing in different fields.

If you want to become a design you will be pleased by Adobe's new software called Muse, which allow you to build/design websites without writing a single line of code. It effectivly removes a developer from the equation, but for now it is in a simple beta that works well for smaller and less complex website.

ferry_ferries, Sep 8, 2011 IP
  16. Ariel Parker

Ariel Parker Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, all of the above, but also keep both eyes open all the time at any type of (good) design around you, be it street commercials, magazines, logos, other websites, etc. And take notes about what you like, maybe small sketches of interesting ideas (not to steal, just to notice them and be inspired). Good luck! :)

Ariel Parker, Sep 8, 2011 IP
  17. MasterBlaster1

MasterBlaster1 Member

Best Answers:
    Just keep practicing. I feel webdesign can be accomplished well with adobe tools.

MasterBlaster1, Sep 8, 2011 IP
  18. weaver01

weaver01 Peon

Best Answers:

No offense but this is complete BS. When I was in college doing Third Dimensional Calculus I would be able to visualize the third dimensional graphs of the equations that I worked with, along with any manipulations I did to the equation. Visualizing something has to do with SPATIAL INTELLIGENCE and that is something that's also used in coding. ABSTRACT thinking is used in coding (you have to perceive what you are designing in the long run) and real Mathematics (the kind that involves proofs) revolves around abstract thinking in conjunction with logical thinking.

Saying that you can't use your analytical abilities in conjunction with your imagination is COMPLETE BS.

I get it, you're one of those "artsy" types that makes "art" that you spent years developing and giving odd interpretations that nobody wants to look at (I think everyone knows what I'm talking about). Your analytical abilities are terrible and you probably never got past Algebra in College (or most likely never went to college) and it takes you forever to get something working that has any kind of structure. You don't have any analytical abilities so STOP acting like an authority on it. You're afraid that people are going to be able to dabble in both and actually be able to produce some really original and creative works. No offense, but really. Stop shoving your insecurities and shortcomings at newcomers here.

Most people here want to be Internet Marketers and they want to be well rounded. They don't want to work for shops or do this as a trade, they want to work for themselves and depending the least on others (being well rounded) is one of the most entrepreneurial things they can do. Stop making assumptions about everyone's abilities. It is cynical and demeaning. Let people find out what abilities they have and let them determine what they're capable of on their own. You're actually misdirecting your advice at people who may be good at both with this BS (and it's your goal).

Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
    weaver01, Sep 8, 2011 IP
  19. mmerlinn

mmerlinn Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    First off, I am a HORRIBLE with anything artistic. My abstract abilities are atrocious. So, you are wrong there.

Second, my logical abilities are above average. I was a computer programmer long before you were ever born and I still program computers every day.

Third, I got past Algebra. I got through calculus with straight A's in all math courses. And still use algebra and higher math every day for multitudes of things.

Fourth, I went to college, but that was a complete waste of time. If I had to do it over, I would not go to college. College is a complete waste of time UNLESS you NEED the paper that verifies you are an educated idiot OR you have so little self-discipline that you need a schoolmarm to stand over you with a whip to force you to learn something.

mmerlinn, Sep 9, 2011 IP