1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google Panda Punish My Blog But Not My Site!

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by mlao, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Conran

Conran Active Member

Best Answers:
    I would say they come before you because they have more authority in their field, have more original content across the site, and have more links into it than you do. Perhaps they've been around for longer, and perhaps they have endorsements from other high-ranking sites out there?

People often look at just a couple of pages on a site like that and see them solely as a spam site, but you have to look deeper at the structure of a site and check the ratios of duplicate/original content to get a real idea.

On the subject of Panda...
    How does Google decide what site is the original?
    If there is exactly the same content on more than one site, how is an automated system supposed to decide which of those locations is the original?

Most people understand that Google can ONLY decide on an originator by choosing the location where it FIRST found the article. Therefore people who update their site once a week will not have Google coming back every day, while a site that gathers content from other sources the day it is published will be crawled every day and that content will probably be seen as belonging to them!

Look at it this way...
    There are two sites selling the same thing. One of them adds a new product every day and Google knows to check out the site every day for new content.
    The other adds a new product every week, so Google goes back there once a week to check for new content.
    If both sites add the same new product, with the same text and images on the same day, which of those two sites will be seen as the originator and which will be seen as the duplicate?

This happens to retailers, affiliate bloggers and sponsors every day, and most don't even think about it until they start to see their content being copied and their traffic falling. And this is why so many larger retailers and sites go after copyright breach so vigorously. It's not through spite, it's because their site is loosing value because of others stealing their content and having it crawled before they do.

The only solutions are the following...
    1. Update your site daily to increase the Google crawl rate.
    2. Make it clear on your sites that copyright breaches will be chased.
    3. Request removal of content of yours found on other sites where it is affecting your position, and demand a link back to your site where it doesn't really affect your page much.

The other solution a lot of sponsors are now using is to add a "fake" article to the site, then rewrite it three days later and publish again. This will mean your thief's will get the substandard article, you'll increase your crawl rate and your genuine polished article will likely be seen as the quality article by Google. Of course, the down side of that is that your brand and site will be weakened by the poor article being read by your guests for a few days.

The best solution is to just add content daily. You'll solve all of these things by just adding SOMETHING every day and convincing Google to come back more regularly.

Conran, Sep 2, 2011 IP
  2. mlao

mlao Active Member

Best Answers:
    I will agree with you Conran in many ways but not about Google panda, If Google dont know what site is the original and if they dont know who to punish then dont make an algorithm that hit so many web-sites. Do you never had the time to read what is behind Google Panda?
    http://siliconangle.com/blog/2011/08/24/hubpages-ceo-on-googles-panda-seo-doesnt-work/
    http://www.zdnet.com/blog/foremski/...ssive-diversion-of-cash-to-its-own-sites/1936
    http://searchengineland.com/google-...change-asks-for-help-with-scraper-sites-90820

As for add content daily is cool, but how a blogger will have the time and feeling to right everyday, then it will come a crap conten with out quality!
    yes this (Spam-copy) sites add content daily but unfortunately only copy articles most f the times!
    I can do that too, and then Google will know that I add content daily and spider my site more!

mlao, Sep 2, 2011 IP
  3. selma101

selma101 Peon

Best Answers:
    I haven't really felt that big of an effect from panda yet.. but it really is irritating, that situation when you are the original one and you are the one to get punished.. makes me mad.. ><

selma101, Sep 2, 2011 IP
  4. Conran

Conran Active Member

Best Answers:
    I do know exactly what Google Panda is about, it's my job to know. I've read the same articles and seen the same evidence as everyone else.
    And I have to point out that for the vast majority of people it has worked!
    Several of my clients were hit by the Panda update, and It's my job to write content on their blog every day. Since they began paying me to write their content for them they are stronger than they have ever been. Their traffic is rising all the time as they add content, and many are now placing on page 1 for a lot of their content with relevant keywords.
    And all that has been done in these cases is the addition of daily original content.

Panda is intended to provide better, cleaner, and more relevant results to searchers. That is what Google has ALWAYS wanted to do. The methods they have suggested for cleaning up a site and increasing its worth are all out there for anyone to read and they do work.

If you can't write every day, expect to be crawled less, and when people steal your content who do write every day (or publish the work of others) then this will continue to happen.

Creating a site takes work, and if you cant put the hours or the work into building a site those who do will get further.

It seems there are a whole lot of people out there who still think that you can get to number one in Google for whatever you like just by starting a site. Those days are long gone.
    First you need an audience. If people are not interested in it you cannot create millions of visitors out of nothing.
    Then you need content that is actually worth something.
    Then you need to make sure that Google has reason to make you an authority in that field.

I fully support the idea that those sites with value and relevance to searchers should be placed higher than those who post once a week/month and those who don't really provide much worth to anyone. I'm not suggesting that this is the case here, I'm just trying to point out that it's not a case of "build it and they will come". If there are only ten people looking for something, you're only gonna get a share of those ten people, no matter what you do to try to get all of them to come to you.
    And if you don't add content more often, those who do add content more often will be placed higher.

It's all pretty simple when you really think about it, but I believe far too many don't even consider the very first step of IS THERE AN AUDIENCE?

Conran, Sep 2, 2011 IP
  5. Terry Hatfield

Terry Hatfield Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you get punished for duplicate content that is a pretty disturbing situation. Imagine that you put up a brand new site and someone with a higher authority like a pr 4 or 5 scrapes your content.

Google very well could crawl that high authority high pr site before they crawl your inner pages and accidently mistaken them as the original source.

I think the soloution is to get a lot of backlinks to your site and inner pages content so that Google is constantly crawling your site.

Terry Hatfield, Sep 2, 2011 IP
  6. Conran

Conran Active Member

Best Answers:
    I don't feel that I answered this properly on my last attempt so I'll give it another shot.

In an ideal word, the staff at Google would check every single page available to assess the authority of a site. But with the billions upon billions of pages out there this is not possible or even remotely plausible.

The number of sites *unfairly* affected by the Panda update are minuscule when you look at the amount of data Google has to manage. Yes, I have no doubt that some people might feel let-down by the Panda update and feel that their site has been punished unfairly (I have been there, and I adjusted my affected sites accordingly, and now I'm back where I was before the update) but in all honesty the vast majority of sites who complain that they have been *unfairly* affected don't offer valuable content, don't update very often, have slow loading times, use unfeasibly large images, are written in poor English, are poorly designed, have high bounce rates, don't offer feedback options or reader interaction... the list is almost endless.

Google has stated thousands of times over the last decade what they want a site to offer, and people constantly ignore it and go for the "quick" options of link-building and shallow SEO. You cannot focus on SEO if the base content of a site is so poor it wouldn't rank anywhere with thousands of $'s spent on it! (I'm not saying there is anyone who fits this description here, I'm just trying to make a point).

You have always needed regular, important, interesting content that people actually want to read, link to and share. And Google has said this right from the start.
    And now that they have finally found a way to filter it most of those who couldn't be bothered and built their sites on paid links, black hat SEO and shallow content are now crying about it.

Lesson - people should have listened to what Google has been saying all along. Original, regular, interesting content on a site that is well designed. That's all you need.

Google has not changed their ambition. It has always been about offering surfers the best result for their search. That is ALL you have to worry about. Provide something that people want, while making your site the best it can possibly be, and not one of you will be complaining about Panda.

Conran, Sep 2, 2011 IP
  7. mlao

mlao Active Member

Best Answers:
    mlao, Sep 3, 2011 IP
  8. mlao

mlao Active Member

Best Answers:
    mlao, Sep 3, 2011 IP
  9. wptheme

wptheme Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Maybe you quote too much at your blog. And about your comment on why that site is ranked higher than you is it possible that your offSEO is less? less backlink? less authority domain? Its like you wrote an original post at your humble blog then a authority news site took your post with the title and all and they will easily rank ahead of you.

You can use opensiteexplorer.org to determine authority

wptheme, Sep 3, 2011 IP
  10. mlao

mlao Active Member

Best Answers:
    My humble blog was no 1 on search results before last panda update...
    Maybe you quote too much at your blog. ?????
    Can you be more specific about this? What you mean quote too much at my blog????
    Also what opensiteexplorer.org
    really do what you mean determine authority?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2011
    mlao, Sep 3, 2011 IP
  11. golfpro1

golfpro1 Peon

Best Answers:
    It could be that content on your blog has been duplicated elsewhere on the site

golfpro1, Sep 4, 2011 IP
  12. MikeBuyco

MikeBuyco Member

Best Answers:
    There could be some duplicate posts in your site or some on site problems.

MikeBuyco, Sep 26, 2013 IP
  13. rankwatch.com

rankwatch.com Active Member

Best Answers:
    The penalty is not sitewide in your case. It has only been applied to blog section because it was in violation to webmaster guidelines.

rankwatch.com, Aug 18, 2014 IP
  14. Jameyson MacDonald

Jameyson MacDonald Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    According to Matt Cutts, the Panda update "is designed to reduce rankings for low-quality sites—sites which are low-value add for users, copy content from other websites or sites that are just not very useful. At the same time, it will provide better rankings for high-quality sites—sites with original content and information such as research, in-depth reports, thoughtful analysis and so on."

The real problem is that a large portion of the sites being hit are not "low-quality", "low-value" sites that "copy content from other sites"; the main sites being hit are simply the small or new less-established websites guilty of none of this.

Google stopped caring about search result integrity a long time ago. Their main focus is and has been money. Small sites are being hit by the Penguin update that under the stipulated purpose of the update have no business being targeted, yet larger websites that shell out a ton of money on Adwords and other services, despite duplicate content, are not being touched. A perfect example is my previous employer, IMPAK Corporation. Do a search for "Oxygen Absorbers", "desiccants", "mylar bags" and related products and their website, www.sorbentsystems.com will show up in the number 1 spot almost everytime, yet well over 1/2 of their 900 + page website is plagiarized from other websites. So what's the difference between IMPAK and Joe Blow with a new website that's being targeted by Google? Money. IMPAK has spent over $100,000 on Adwords marketing that I know of and they've been around since long before the beginning of the internet age.

If you don't believe what I'm saying, do the search I mentioned and visit IMPAK's website; copy almost any content from their website and Google it and you'll see dozens of word-for-word entries on other websites.

Jameyson MacDonald, Aug 18, 2014 IP