1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Are Moderators getting too vicious?

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Help Desk, Oct 30, 2006.

I've been seeing some one line responses from users that dissapear a short while later. Personally I like it when people say "Hey good job." or "Don't do that, it's just silly".

Has anybody else seen this? Isn't that a WMW technique?

Help Desk, Oct 30, 2006 IP
    kevinn likes this.
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    It depends on the motivation. Often it's a new user trying to get to 10 or 25 posts and bumping threads.

sarahk, Oct 30, 2006 IP
    Bender likes this.
  3. Nintendo

Nintendo ♬ King of da Wackos ♬

Best Answers:
    Is the Link/directory submission section that this mostly occures on. If some one helps you on geting something working on you're site, then it would probably pass, since no one makes things break on their site just so they can get an extra number or two on their post count!!

Nintendo, Oct 30, 2006 IP
  4. noppid

noppid gunnin' for the quota

Best Answers:
    Yeah, don't pad your post count, but feel free to sell scams.

The mods will gladly ban you or give you an infraction if you get scammed though and point it out.

The moderation here has been moronic in quite a few cases.

noppid, Oct 30, 2006 IP
  5. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    PLEASE NOTE: I am not bumping the thread or padding my post count:D

I have to say this is one of the few times I am in complete and total agreement with Noppid. :eek:

Mia, Oct 30, 2006 IP
  6. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    I've honestly never noticed this.

maybe it's just about not being around enogh, I suppose. ;)

disgust, Oct 30, 2006 IP
    Bender likes this.
  7. Crazy_Rob

Crazy_Rob I seen't it!

Best Answers:
    So have many of the posters! Though I don't take complaints seriously from people who bitch about everything.

Of course we make mistakes sometimes. But how the hell can we verify that someone has been scammed?

Do you know how many "This guy stole my arcade script!" complaints we get every day?

Use your head and you wont get scammed. And if you do, maybe online busines isn't for you.

If you need us to watch your back, then that's YOUR problem!

Crazy_Rob, Oct 30, 2006 IP
    T0PS3O likes this.
  8. noppid

Best Answers:
    That's about what I expected. An insult.

Nice job as a DP representative. Shawn must be proud at moments like this. :/

noppid, Oct 30, 2006 IP
  9. Crazy_Rob

Crazy_Rob I seen't it!

Best Answers:
    I didn't insult you! C'mon, is your shell really that thin?

You called us moronic and I said you complain about everything. Just a simple observation.

Blogmaster likes this.
  10. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    why exactly do you expect? digitalpoint is set apart from most other webmaster forums in that they're really quite lax as far as rules & moderation goes.

he also wasn't attacking you but merely pointing out that some of the posters are moronic. which is absolutely true; it's destined to happen on large forums.

if you want to post somewhere with incredibly tight enforcement, DP isn't for you.

disgust, Oct 30, 2006 IP
  11. Mike S.

Mike S. Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Why not just make the link/directory submission forums (and other commonly spammed forums for that matter) not increase your post count to solve this whole issue?

Mike S., Oct 30, 2006 IP
    Crazy_Rob likes this.
  12. noppid

Best Answers:
    WOW, nice spin.

We went from some - (quite a few, what's that amount to, maybe a few dozen at best out of perhaps hundreds?) - actions have been moronic to, I called "all" of the moderators morons. Who's shell is thin?

Now we got that "I bitch about everything" on the table. I must have been a real gem to bitch almost 4000 times. :/

I know I can't win this, but I'm more then willing to put on the table what I can as I know there are many other valuable members that helped make this place what it is posting similar thoughts of late.

noppid, Oct 30, 2006 IP
    Blogmaster likes this.
  13. Crazy_Rob

Crazy_Rob I seen't it!

Best Answers:
    I must have missed the similar thoughts.

I'm sorry but I take offense because I know how hard all of the DP staff works to keep this place clean and organized. Like I said, mistakes get made and there's no denying that. We usually try to correct them though.

None of us let personal differences w/ other members influence our decisions. And I know for a fact that everyone of of us makes a concerted effort to be fair.

So do you have any suggestions as to how we can be less morornic? You just want us to screen the sales threads for you before you make a business decision?

Mia likes this.
  14. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    It does happen, and of course it's not the job of mods to verify what is a scam and what isn't. The key is to let discussions continue in a way that people are able to point out scams and discuss things for everyone to make up their own mind.
    That is one thing that is unique here, most forums are about "Who is right" and here it seems to be the "What is right approach". But still, mistakes are made here and there, and what would be nice is having a subcategory called "Infraction complaints", because the way things are going, I can see hundreds more coming.

Blogmaster, Oct 30, 2006 IP
  15. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I just checked your account. You have never received an infraction from a moderator, only an admin. So the moderators really have nothing to do with your infractions.

Your infraction was for harassing a member of this forum (which regardless of *why* you did, looks like it's the case... and in reality, the *why* part doesn't concern me, as I can only deal with absolute facts).

As far as your complaint of Digital Point not set up to be a legal court system, there's nothing we can do about that. We don't have the resources to setup a trial/court battle for every accusation that someone makes (many of which are false). It goes both ways though, if someone accused you have scamming them, do you really think we would ban your account? The bottom line is this forum is not a court system. If someone legitimately scammed you or ripped you off, your best avenue would be a real legal system.

digitalpoint, Oct 30, 2006 IP
  16. MrMOJO

MrMOJO Well-Known Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Thats an unacceptable answer.

As a mod, the "job" is to ensure a safe and pleasurable environment. Not to belittle someone or to disuade potentially new comers to the EBusiness world with a "throw them to the dogs" attitude.

Help, be kind, be courteous. IMHO, mod should be the Wal-Mart greeter as well as Security.

but, now that i've made a mod upset, I prolly wont be around long enough to see if this comes true :p

MrMOJO, Oct 30, 2006 IP
  17. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Uhm, actually the job of a moderator is to help the forum run smoothly, not be a walmart greeter. :)

Did you make a mod upset?

digitalpoint, Oct 30, 2006 IP
  18. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:

I'm still waiting for da Bears to lose a game before I make Rob upset!:eek:

Mia, Oct 30, 2006 IP
  19. noppid

Best Answers:
    The absolute fact was, I got a refund from the so called abused member. Nuff said.

noppid, Oct 30, 2006 IP
  20. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    We've had a bunch of walmart greeters who were padding their posts in the intro threads. ;)

Blogmaster, Oct 30, 2006 IP
    saadahmed007 likes this.