1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How good is the Arfooo directory software?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by freelancewebaz, Jul 28, 2011.

I would like to hear of anyone's experiences with Arfooo, a PHP directory software package similar to phpLD. I'm evaluating platforms for a directory site that I want to build.

I already have the domain and have phpLD up on it but it's not what I'm looking for software-wise. I'm not accepting submissions and will be entering/editing all of the content myself.

I think Arfooo is more flexible in the types of directory sites that can be built with it from what I've read.

freelancewebaz, Jul 28, 2011 IP
  2. wwws

wwws Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It looks ancient to me.

wwws, Jul 28, 2011 IP
  3. unknownpray

unknownpray Active Member

Best Answers:
    Frankly speaking I don't believe much in these automated submission softwares. If I were you I would still be doing my submissions manually. True its slow and time consuming but you don't have to worry about your URL getting spammed.

unknownpray, Aug 17, 2011 IP
  4. freelancewebaz

freelancewebaz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm planning on building manually-edited directory sites and am just trying to figure out if there's a software platform that fits my needs so I don't have to build something custom. I really don't need all of the features of phpld and would like something more lightweight but it looks like I'll just have to write something custom.

freelancewebaz, Aug 17, 2011 IP
  5. patrick0001

patrick0001 Member

Best Answers:
    Arfooo directory should be reliable, I just check their alexa rank, not bad.

patrick0001, Aug 18, 2011 IP
  6. wwws

wwws Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Checking the Alexa rank makes a directory software reliable?..How so?

wwws, Aug 18, 2011 IP
  7. sydeyseoconsultant

sydeyseoconsultant Peon

Best Answers:
    We have used the Arfoo directory software, and it is pretty good. There are a few things that are a little clunky, but overall it is pretty good!

sydeyseoconsultant, Aug 18, 2011 IP
  8. seodirectores

seodirectores Peon

Best Answers:
    I used Afroo directory too, for me it is very good and it is free! The only problem is that the keyword moderation, it is time consuming as you have to do manually each time. But it is fast and easy to add websites. Another advantage are free tamplets.

seodirectores, Aug 21, 2011 IP
  9. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I know nothing about Afroo but if your only reason for choosing it is you don't want open submissions, phpLD and eSyndicat both offer the ability to turn off submissions. Probably all of the scripts do. eSyndicat (the one I use) does it by category and I think there's a way to do it site-wide.

Have you checked into any of the directory software that runs on WordPress. One of them may be better suited to your overall strategy. I've not really looked at them, so just suggesting another option to research.

Quite ambitious of you to rely entirely on yourself for listings. That said, seems like that would make for super tight categories, unique descriptions and a lot of the things that make for a quality directory.

YMC, Aug 21, 2011 IP
  10. freelancewebaz

Best Answers:
    Indeed YMC that's why I'm doing it. I'm building directories that have very tight categories with only stuff that people in the niche find highly reliable. I'm looking at directorypress actually for building the sites. My main reason for not wanting to use phpLD is that it does way too much and I would prefer something lightweight.

freelancewebaz, Aug 21, 2011 IP
  11. seodirectores

seodirectores Peon

Best Answers:
    Choose Arfoo, you will be satisfied, if more people use it, it will be more popular and accepted.

seodirectores, Aug 22, 2011 IP
  12. john45

john45 Peon

Best Answers:
    I think that Arfooo is very powerful and completely Object Oriented driven application. However, It should has some kind of documentation for its API that allows developer's community to share in effective way to improve and in-rich Arfooo with features and customization.

For example, I want to create a new object that have method able to display all search tag clouds and then creating new page that will host this object. I don't know where to start and how.

john45, Aug 23, 2011 IP
  13. vegabond

vegabond Shabu Anower

Best Answers:
    Not a professional software, and I don't see any reason to try it.

vegabond, Aug 24, 2011 IP
  14. freelancewebaz

Best Answers:
    @vegabond - Just curious .. what do you find to be unprofessional about it? To me their product page looks amateur and the software looks like it was written by someone with limited PHP experience.

freelancewebaz, Aug 24, 2011 IP
  15. hewd

hewd Guest

Best Answers:
    Hi,I use the arfooo directory script, It is easy to use & mod, But, No support in the English forum from arfooo at all, Loads of unanswered posts for help/support & it's Full of spam, Don't know when it was last updated & if it is ever going to be but the french forum is alive & well.All the best.

hewd, Sep 9, 2011 IP
  16. LegendzCraft

LegendzCraft Peon

Best Answers:
    It is hard to find plugins and themes for that free directory.

LegendzCraft, Dec 17, 2013 IP
  17. Afrasiab

Afrasiab Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well, directory submission with fresh description and proper category is good activity. Remember one thing when ever you start submitting a directory you must have to be register on that directory, it is good for future use if there is any problem with directory links or it is penalized then you can remove it.

Afrasiab, Dec 17, 2013 IP
  18. arrisweb

arrisweb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The best solution is to try out. I suppose no one here tell your 'how good is'. Arfoo is not popular.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
    arrisweb, Dec 18, 2013 IP
  19. alternatesmoking

alternatesmoking Member

Best Answers:
    I like the layout but that's about it. Its a french program and you may have to alter some code.

alternatesmoking, Dec 20, 2013 IP
  20. Nima

Nima Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Try WordPress with one of the directory plugins then

Nima, Dec 27, 2013 IP