1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to market my Digg clone site?

Discussion in 'Social Networks' started by pedigreechump6, Oct 29, 2006.

The second site in my sig is my attempt at creating a digg-like site that is targeted specifically to the stock market. How should I go about getting people to submit stories?

I have decided that I will accept good commentary and analysis from personal blogs as if they are providing helpful content that will make investors' lives easier then I see this as a bonus for those readers.

How do I get these blog owners to submit there stories without personally contacting them all.

Plus I would like to maintain a good proportion of links to original financial news stories on sites like Reutters, Bloomberg etc.. but realise that people may be reluctant to submit these stories as it will not benefit them in any way. How do digg manage to keep the stories that are submitted of a good quality?

pedigreechump6, Oct 29, 2006 IP
  2. Richie_Ni

Richie_Ni Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think it's good to copy other's idea..Anyway,you could pay others to blog about your site and get let more people know about your site.
    If you'd like to buy paid posts,try payperpost.com ,you could also pm me for that :)

You could aslo ask others to submit your site to the social bookmark services.That's a good way :)

Richie_Ni, Oct 29, 2006 IP
  3. sandossu

sandossu Guest

Best Answers:
    it's not loading :(

sandossu, Oct 29, 2006 IP
  4. GADOOD

GADOOD Peon

Best Answers:
    He's copying a concept and applying it to a niche/new market who probably haven't been exposed to it with nothing like it in the field. I'd say that's good!

Pete

GADOOD, Oct 29, 2006 IP
  5. Richie_Ni

Richie_Ni Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah,the url doesn't work..

Richie_Ni, Oct 29, 2006 IP
  6. pedigreechump6

pedigreechump6 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Strange, it's working ok for me in both Firefox and IE, maybe a bit slow but it loads after a couple of seconds.

pedigreechump6, Oct 29, 2006 IP
  7. mikkom

mikkom Active Member

Best Answers:
    I would suggest using RSS feeds. Also, Stock Market is a very hard niche to go with Digg-like site because the people who are interested in market want their news the second they are published (I know, I used to do some trading), minutes or even hours are too long delays for market news.

just my 2 cents..
    mikko

mikkom, Oct 29, 2006 IP
  8. blade_922

blade_922 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Try think of something totally different and unique. Dont use pligg to clone digg.com.

Try this, make a blog site, get loads of stock market news feeds and parse them and store them into a database and have them appear immediately, more newsfeeds you get the more your site will be updated. Then just promote your site as a stock market blog site.

just an idea, up to you, chances of your stock market digg clone working out will be in my opinion 1 in 1,000,000

blade_922, Oct 29, 2006 IP
  9. MTbiker

MTbiker Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    When you find a blog with a good story, submit the story (to your site) yourself, then comment on the blog showing the blog author that their story is on your site. If they're familiar with digg, they'll know what to do.

MTbiker, Oct 29, 2006 IP
  10. almir

almir Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, all has been said already.
    I believe you should change your niche on this digg clone site.
    First, dont see there is so many people interested in it, second ( as someone already said ) people who are in stock business want news a second after published ( and stock gurus have it 5 seconds before publishing :) )

almir, Oct 29, 2006 IP
  11. DFischer

DFischer Peon

Best Answers:
    The only way I could see a clone of digg work, is if it was for a specific niche.

DFischer, Oct 29, 2006 IP
  12. pedigreechump6

pedigreechump6 Active Member

Best Answers:
    This one is specific to stock market news.....

pedigreechump6, Oct 30, 2006 IP
  13. weaz

weaz Peon

Best Answers:
    I've been trying to get my "digg for sports" (linked in my sig) site off the ground for a few months now. It's been a lot harder than I originally thought it would be.

There are so many people online reading/talking/spouting off about sports, that I thought this idea would be no-brainer. I still haven't stumbled upon the right way to market it.

I also think that the idea needs to be tweaked for different niches. For instance, sports fans and investors might not be as interested in all of the voting and stats as the techies/nerds over at digg, and might just see that as getting in the way of the usefulness of the site.

weaz, Oct 30, 2006 IP
  14. DaveEMG

DaveEMG Peon

Best Answers:
    Digg clones drive normal internet users insane, since there's already hundreds of them trying to get everyone and their mom to submit articles and rank things, etc.

Stop painting the digg mousetrap in your special colors. Come up with a better mousetrap.

DaveEMG, Oct 30, 2006 IP
  15. trichnosis

trichnosis Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    i can access theurl too

trichnosis, Oct 31, 2006 IP
  16. Emory

Emory Peon

Best Answers:
    I see it. I am wondering if it might be late in the cycle to start a digg clone too, but you never know.

Emory, Nov 1, 2006 IP
  17. Dominicc2003

Dominicc2003 Peon

Best Answers:
    Well some long-term traders might not mind long term forecasts but I get what you mean.
    Day/Week traders want news as soon as it happens so maybe update the RSS every time the page loads...

Dominicc2003, Nov 1, 2006 IP