1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

is my web developer trying to bluff me

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by horseygirl, Aug 3, 2011.

i had a site made and when finished it seemed to fill the whole page on my monitor and without zooming out it looked to full in the screen. i asked if the developer can reduce the screen size.

their reply....

The site design was signed off at the native resolution of the design, which is 1200px. While slightly on the larger end of an acceptable width for a site, anyone with a monitor of 17" or over should have no problem viewing the horizontal width of the site without scrolling. Smaller netbooks may have to scroll, but this is reasonable as they have largely reduced resolutions.
    Altering this means redesigning the site in Photoshop at the new resolution, recutting all the HTML & images, and rewriting the stylesheet.

is this bull shit?

horseygirl, Aug 3, 2011 IP
  2. pdweb

pdweb Peon

Best Answers:
    Sounds a little off for a professional web designer not to allow scrolling into their calculations.  Although I imagine there could be problems with image resizing.  Hard to say without seeing the source code.

pdweb, Aug 3, 2011 IP
  3. horseygirl

horseygirl Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    horseygirl, Aug 3, 2011 IP
  4. cashmirrors

cashmirrors Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

This is true. 

cashmirrors, Aug 3, 2011 IP
  5. camgaertner

camgaertner Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think he's trying to bluff you. He's telling the truth. If you want the site smaller he'll need to recode everything.

camgaertner, Aug 3, 2011 IP
  6. ApocalypseXL

ApocalypseXL Notable Member

Best Answers:
    OMFG how much did you payed for this PoS ?

Anyway the website is horrible and the Scalability should have been factored in . A website can resize itself on the resolution and not stay static as a rock so screen size has no implication only the resolution . So yes your web developer is BSing you big time .

ApocalypseXL, Aug 3, 2011 IP
  7. pdweb

pdweb Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi just had a look at the site now and I can see why you are none too happy :(

As ApocalypseXL said the site should be resizing itself on the resolution. I would ask your designer to try again it does look pretty bad. I'm not sure if I would do business with these folks if thats the quality they produce and response they give to a paying client.

Good luck.

pdweb, Aug 4, 2011 IP
  8. shiva0077

shiva0077 Peon

Best Answers:
     i think he is right.

shiva0077, Aug 4, 2011 IP
  9. Talker

Talker Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think your developer is correct if we keep in mind the way he coded the site. In a way, he is not Bshting you. He is telling you the truth.

However, please read on ....

He has made a website with a FIXED WIDTH at 1200px. This is a normal practice for developers of the semi-old age. Fixed width websites were made when we had low resolutions of 640x480 and 800x600. Thats because most the computers used to run on the same screen resolution.

As of nowadays, we have various screen resolutions.. desktop monitors, LCDs, notebooks, laptops, netbooks, ipads, mobile devices, and what not. They all have different screen resolutions. What you should be after is a website having FLUID WIDTH. Fluid width gives you the ability to resize the browser window or open the website on different resolution devices while keeping most of the website like it is, by automatically rearranging the objects of the page to meet the screen size.

It really depends on how you dealt width your developer, im sure you were not aware of fixed and fluid widths and so you have to ask him how much he would charge to change the code to fluid width.

Ive tried to explain it all in depth. hope it helps.

Talker, Aug 4, 2011 IP
  10. horseygirl

Best Answers:
    yes TALKER i understand you, when they showed me the photoshop design i was happy with it but they mentioned nothing about fluid width etc as i dont have a clue.

i will drop them a line as ive payed a fortune for this site ( mainly the backoffice which is custom.

thankyou all very much

horseygirl, Aug 4, 2011 IP
  11. zudhire

zudhire Peon

Best Answers:
    the designer made the site in 1200 resolution. you should have discussed it before the development. but it is not that big issue or herculian task to make it to 1000px.

zudhire, Aug 4, 2011 IP
  12. horseygirl

Best Answers:
    yes i agree what size would be perfect? i just want to see more of the page as aposed to just a header and having to scroll

13. horseygirl

Best Answers:
    asked them to sort it to fluid width will see what they say

14. ContentWizard

ContentWizard Peon

Best Answers:
    Discuss it with him, its not that hard to change design resolution.

ContentWizard, Aug 4, 2011 IP
  15. Thorlax402

Thorlax402 Member

Best Answers:
    I would definitely blame this on the designer. Talker brings up a good point that fluid designs (expanding a retracting to fit your screen resolution) is more reliable in a lot of cases. However, having a fixed with website is still very common practice. The problem with this is that there are still a lot of people (possibly you) that are on a 1024x768 resolution screen. A 1200px wide design cannot accommodate this. You should get a hold of your designer and have it scaled to fit that resolution. Then you will need to talk to the developer and have him change the images and redo the stylesheets. Its a pain, but possibly necessary.

Also, you're welcome to make it small enough to fit lower resolutions, but I'd say it's very rare for someone to go lower than that and if they do they must be used to scrolling by now haha. And the 17" monitor has nothing to do with it. A 10" monitor could view this so long as it had a high enough resolution.

Thorlax402, Aug 4, 2011 IP
  16. horseygirl

Best Answers:
    here is the answer from the designer.......

17. gviger

gviger Peon

Best Answers:
    You can not done pixel perfect web site with fluid design.

Only solution is to target desired screen size.

Image width can be changed with css but at this point IE8 and lower will produce ugly image resizing.

gviger, Aug 5, 2011 IP
  18. eleetgeek

eleetgeek Peon

Best Answers:
    Ideally 1200px width is used but, according to latest practice, we have some called 960 grid system which is being used by many developers.

eleetgeek, Aug 5, 2011 IP
  19. Chafkins

Chafkins Peon

Best Answers:
    The site is fine. The image is not too zoomed in.

Chafkins, Aug 5, 2011 IP
  20. som3on3

som3on3 Active Member

Best Answers:
    it's not a bluff, design is built for that resolution

som3on3, Aug 5, 2011 IP