1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I'm receiving fake traffic. Should I be worried?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by UkArticleWriter, Jul 29, 2011.

Hi

Looking through my analytics it says that TrafficFaker is visiting my site. When I go to their website it says that people use it to generate fake traffic to websites to affect rankings.

This seems rather black hat. does anyone know if I should be worried about this negatively affecting my rankings? Also, is there any way to block it?

UkArticleWriter, Jul 29, 2011 IP
  2. tayainc

tayainc Peon

Best Answers:
    If you are using Google adsense then it may be big problem for you and also affect your SERP for that particular site.

tayainc, Jul 29, 2011 IP
  3. jvfconsulting

jvfconsulting Active Member

Best Answers:
    their website trafficfaker(dot)com says that their traffic isn't fake and its a good way to obtain real traffic?!?

jvfconsulting, Jul 29, 2011 IP
  4. sebasago

sebasago Peon

Best Answers:
    I've been seeing a bit of trafficfaker stuff as well. Hopefully it's not a problem.

sebasago, Jul 29, 2011 IP
  5. cquinndesign

cquinndesign Peon

Best Answers:
    Thats crazy, so you guys are saying that this company, trafficfaker is visiting your sites out of random? Maybe a competitor is sabotaging your rankings/reputation?

cquinndesign, Jul 29, 2011 IP
  6. UkArticleWriter

UkArticleWriter Peon

Best Answers:
    That's what I was thinking. That's why I thought I would ask if anyone else has any idea if this would hurt my rankings. I guess a competitor is probably using it against me.

UkArticleWriter, Jul 30, 2011 IP
  7. glennforum

glennforum Peon

Best Answers:
    Well if you have never employed the services of such application then you might be a subject of reverse SEO where competitors apply black hat techniques to their competition in order to lower their competition's rankings.

glennforum, Aug 1, 2011 IP
  8. PalmGeo

PalmGeo Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Yes your competitor could be doing it. You can do two things Either block that website URL with .htaccess file or you can use a firewall to block that website's traffic (I think so..).

PalmGeo, Aug 1, 2011 IP
  9. C.Rebecca

C.Rebecca Active Member

Best Answers:
    Fake traffic may not influence your rankings but it may affect your bandwidth consumption. 
    If you are receiving chunks of fake traffic, try to block this traffic with their IPs. 

C.Rebecca, Aug 1, 2011 IP
  10. UkArticleWriter

UkArticleWriter Peon

Best Answers:
    I think this is software people run so it could come from different IP's. I'm not too worried about bandwidth, just search engine ranking. From a discussion on the Google forum it seems most people think that by visiting my site Google shouldn't be able to tell i'm getting lots of traffic.

I thought that maybe Google had a deal with the main internet servers to get stats on website visits or something, but I think I'm probably wrong.

UkArticleWriter, Aug 1, 2011 IP