1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Myspace Bans This Marketing Ebook from Being Sold

Discussion in 'Social Networks' started by 3mice, Oct 28, 2006.

There is this lady who wanted to sell an ebook on how to market at myspace.com her site is here: http://www.socialsitesmarketing.com

As you can see the site is not even finished when she got a call from Myspace guys telling her not to sell the book because she is violating their trademark . She thought it was a hoax and called back and it turns out its true.

She's been told to drop the web page within a week. So if you are interested you can visit her site. i personally havent bought the book yet. I got this info from an email from Allan Gardyne of http://www.AssociatePrograms.com

3mice, Oct 28, 2006 IP
  2. WillB

WillB Peon

Best Answers:
    She's only violating trademarks because she's using "MySpace" in the name of the book. If she took it out.. she'd be OK.

WillB, Oct 28, 2006 IP
  3. sam1

sam1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    To me it seems like a marketing tactics!!!

sam1, Oct 28, 2006 IP
  4. winningratings

winningratings Peon

Best Answers:
    Why not just sell the book normally on your own website?
    You will probably find it easier by using you own site and developing content that will attract a reasonable ranking on the search engines
    Then you wont need to worry about Myspace - although you should never violate anyones trademark

winningratings, Oct 28, 2006 IP
  5. MTbiker

MTbiker Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yep, I looked into this a couple days ago. I'd agree that the trademark violation is just being used as a publicity stunt.

But hey, if the banning of this book means that fewer people will start spamming myspace, that's fine with me! :D

MTbiker, Oct 29, 2006 IP
  6. Paradigm

Paradigm Peon

Best Answers:
    The legality behind it is that MySpace owns all rights to anything tagged in the title "MySpace", whether it's an ebook title or domain name.

Paradigm, Oct 29, 2006 IP
  7. Dunshster

Dunshster Peon

Best Answers:
    They will probably just change the name of the book after the week is up :)

Dunshster, Oct 29, 2006 IP
  8. Mind_nl

Mind_nl Peon

Best Answers:
    If the name of the book is changed I don't think there will be any problem. Any even if its not changed, I'm not sure there is much MySpace can do. I mean how many books are there on trademarks that the author doesn't own. How many e-books are there on AdSense? If this was a problem, I think Google would have shut down quite a few e-book selling sites already. Books like this only increase the traffic to websites, I don't see the problem for MySpace here (sure Tom wants all the marketing on MySpace going thru the MySpace ads program, but books like these can't be stopped IMO)

Mind_nl, Oct 29, 2006 IP