1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Best Directory Script? eSyndiCat PRO or PhpLD 3.0 ?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by Maksa, Jul 10, 2006.

?

Which one is the best Dir Script?

1. eSyndiCat PRO

78 vote(s)
    30.2%
  2. PhpLD 3.0

180 vote(s)
    69.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    :confused:

What are you talking about? If you know enough PHP and HTML to edit phpLD, you know enough to edit eSyndicat. One is not more or less difficult than the other in that respect.

minstrel, Oct 6, 2006 IP
  2. subseo

subseo Guest

Best Answers:
    I had a decent webdesigner to tell me eSyndicat is a bit more complex to make template for. Don't remember the reasons anymore, though...

How do you judge, by what criteria? There is a hidden implication in that, that PHPLD isn't for professionals, which I think is wrong.

hey i thought everybody has one junk email address exactly for such purposes nowadays.... ;)

wow, thanks for sharing this, important criteria for some uses

subseo, Oct 9, 2006 IP
    enQuira likes this.
  3. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Well, I've edited both - I can't say I see any difference in difficulty. I think Smarty is a pain the the butt, personally, but there you go...

minstrel, Oct 9, 2006 IP
  4. Boby

Boby Peon

Best Answers:
    That was a mod request for people who want to speedup their directory population or for adding links to categories where new submitions come in hardly. If you cannot see the point of this, maybe others can.

He doesn asks much because Rob (Anon) is one of the guys out there that try to research and find solutions/docs/fixes for themselfs. Only when he is really out of ideeas and cannot find help alone, he is asking someone else. And he is smarter than you all think. Many could take this what Rob is doing as a good example.
    And hey, come on ... I know you were meaning me, but I'm not that little idiot you think I am.

Yeah right, if you have ever read the phpLD 3 changelog you would have seen most of those features are already available for phpLD.

@ minstrel
    I don't mind you bring critisism, either to phpLD or to me personal. But I think you should review your above posts and think again. You're just trying to attract some attention by posting bad comments about phpLD or me to anyone who is posting something good, actually you're just getting ridiculous. No really, I had to laught when I red the above comments.
    Instead of posting all this crap, you could have asked for help and someone would have fixed your problems. And sorry, but with the attitude you had several times on the phpLD forums you can't expect much help, even if I always tried to help.
    You can say whatever you want about me or phpLD, I can really live with that. It doesn't affect me at all because there are a lot of other people who are thankfull.
    Don't expect me to reply again on your comments about me, you are free to post whatever you want.

Boby, Oct 27, 2006 IP
    enQuira likes this.
  5. Brilliances

Brilliances Active Member

Best Answers:
    hehe. I just found the throw away email address feature on Yahoo :)

.. but i hate filling in forms nonetheless. Most of the time, I use bugmenot.com

Brilliances, Oct 28, 2006 IP
  6. Marcvs

Marcvs Peon

Best Answers:
    i like PHPLD though i really should give esyndicate a try :)

Marcvs, Oct 28, 2006 IP
  7. PurpleCow

PurpleCow Peon

Best Answers:
    WSN links is a very powerful script. I use their paid version the latest one of course and that script is far superior than anyone out there.

PurpleCow, Oct 28, 2006 IP
    enQuira likes this.
  8. minstrel

Best Answers:
    I did ask. You were no help. And your new releases were buggy as hell. I gave up.

What attitude? There wasn't any. I gave up and left quietly. And then I found a new and better script in eSyndicat.

As for looking for attention, that is ludicrous - like I need that. :rolleyes: I'm simply relating my experiences with the two scripts here. I'm not making any money by providing testi9monials for eSyndicat - just telling the truth. I'm doing it simply because I think it's a superior script with a superior development team.

minstrel, Oct 28, 2006 IP
  9. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Not on my shift.

sorry Minz :)

an0n, Oct 28, 2006 IP
    dvduval likes this.
  10. dvduval

dvduval Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you for sharing your thoughts, Boby.
    I think this may have been a case where Minstrel did not realize that we would have bent over backwards for him, but never really gave us the chance to do that. He just formed a bad opinion, and then went elsewhere when the solution was not in clear site. Every website that I have ever created that was successful required a lot of patience and "follow through". Hopefully, Minstrel will be successful with his sites too, regardless of the script he uses. Last I checked, he is still running phpLD on one of his sites.

dvduval, Oct 28, 2006 IP
  11. minstrel

Best Answers:
    No.

The Band of Gonzos directory is still using the free version (2.x) of phpLD. I'm no longer associated with that group or that site.

All of my directories were converted to eSyndicat.

But I'm not trying to change anyone's mind, really. I'm just relating my own experiences. My opinion... which is that eSyndicat 1.2 blows phpLD 3.x out of the water and I expect the margin to widen when eSyndicat 2.0 is released on the 31st.

Yours obviously differs and I don't fault you for that. Choice and competition is always a good thing.

12. ! Ask !

! Ask ! Peon

Best Answers:
    If you look only at customization and script functions the best script is WSN Links
    If you look at available templates, user base, easy operation then the best is PHPLD

! Ask !, Oct 28, 2006 IP
  13. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I still think.. (uh oh)

What makes a directory is the owner. bottom line.

Does/is the owner willing to sacrifice his/her own personal time with learning how to script and learning their investment and choice in software/script chosen? Or, does the owner strickly rely on a newbish point and click interface to try and get the job done, and then cross their fingers and pray for the best, knowing that if ever need be, they'll have to wait months on end to get a simple new basic 'thing/addition/feature(laugh)' implemented?

I just think there are several types of directory owners. The Do`ers, The No Can Do`s, The Pay to get it Done`s, The Been there Done Thats`, and last but not least, The Wait till it can get Dones`

Where do you all fit in is the question and more than likely your choice in script(s) chosen? bwahahha :)

that is my .01 ;)

Rob

an0n, Oct 28, 2006 IP
  14. dkessaris

dkessaris Peon

Best Answers:
    I am using both esyndicat and phpld (both 2 and 3)
    Some general thoughts from my experience

I prefer Esyndicat's admin panel
    I like Esyndicat's custom fields
    I like Esyndicat's custom plans options (although they are far from perfect)
    I like PHPLD's "symbolic categories" function better than Esyndicat's crosslinks
    I like the fact that PHPLD has a larger and more active community
    I hate the fact that I have to pay to get access to the support forum for a script I paid (I know it's just 10 bucks but I still don't like it, I would have prefered if it was included with the licence)
    I like Esyndicat's pricing better :D

dkessaris, Oct 28, 2006 IP
    enQuira likes this.
  15. minstrel

Best Answers:
    I don't know if that was directed at me or not, but let's assume for a moment that it was...

I am a psychologist by profession but I have experience in programming in several languages, including Fortran, Pascal, Algol, Basic and Visual Basic, C and Visual C, some PHP, and even some Assembler. I'm not a novice when it comes to coding.

However, if I'm going to purchase a product, I don't mind tweaking it a bit to customize it but I don't expect to have to debug and fix it. If I'm going to be a beta tester, I'll sign up to be a beta tester. If I pay for it, I expect it to work without my having to debug it. If I were going to do that, I'd code the damn thing myself.

16. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    It was written to the general. But is that how it makes you feel, based on the way it was written? Why would it though. Tell me how it made you feel as though it were being directed at you specifically.

Now that you've brought up your programming experience, I find that quite interesting. How many years of each language do you possess? Are we talking a skim through or a vast knowledge base.

Sure, I can understand that sometimes things are buggy when you want to be on the cutting edge. It's a risk you take when taking that route. I know I dont...well, not unless I'm personally scripting it.

note* - even the most secured of scripts/software eventually faulter to some degree. phpld nor esyndicat is any different from one another in that respect. and that is from my own experiences.

an0n, Oct 28, 2006 IP
  17. minstrel

Best Answers:
    :) Cute... but tell me how it made you feel to reqad what I wrote above? :)

My experience with each language varies... I have less experience with PHP and Assembler than with the others but after a while one programming language is pretty much the same as the others except for the specific syntax.

I wrote my first program (in Fortran) circa 1975 or 1976 to create a statistical analysis program that didn't otherwise exist at the time for a data set I needed to analyze. The following year I wrote a word processing program in Algol. Later, I re-created this for an early HP desktop computer in interpreter Basic. Over time, I created a number of original programs in compiler Basic, Pascal, and C++, including programs to score psychological tests I developed and a package for managing a small rental property management company (under contract).

I don't think phpLD is any more on the cutting edge than eSyndicat. eSyndicat just works better. IMO, of course.

18. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    no reqad, just intinctively typed. ;)

I'd have to disagree. while common sense being the brains of logic, its not quite easy to generalize them as mostly the same except syntax. Im sure you can follow what I mean, being that you come from the age where you had to type a full page of code to just clear a screen in C.

that's pretty cool. maybe one of these days i'll post my resume which doesnt include php, smarty, mysql :) I've messed with a lot of stuff myself, but one thing is for certain, you won't ever find me pushing/pulling again.

I beg to differ on this. I've messed with both, and well, we obvioulsy know which I chose. There are reason, but going into them is really irrelevant, especially since we both have our opinions based on our needs for each individual script.

;)

an0n, Oct 28, 2006 IP
  19. subseo

subseo Guest

Best Answers:
    WSN Links - I agree it's very powerful, but most people I know run away just because of that. It's very complex to setup, and the templating is much more complex than anything else out there.

subseo, Oct 31, 2006 IP
  20. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Hello....

Im happy with the phpld as all but 1 directory is different and its an indexscript.

they PHPLD offer much in the way of mods and simplicity.

thx
    malcolm

malcolm1, Oct 31, 2006 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.