1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google XML Sitemap Plugin

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by sixrfan, Jul 5, 2011.

so i'm thinking of installing the Google XML Sitemap Plugin. I've never used a sitemap plugin before. I've been researching this one because it seems to be the most recommended but I have some questions:

1. are xml sitemaps even relevant anymore considering how quickly modern search engines are crawling sites?

2. you have to open a google account and submit this in their sitemap submission place? is that correct? i guess the plugin just generates the file, then you tell google where to find the file? is that the gist of it?

3. the description for this plugin says it also works for Bing and Yahoo. but in the multiple tutorial videos i watched everyone just showed how to submit it to Google, not the other search engines.

Please advise. thanks in advance!

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
    sixrfan, Jul 5, 2011 IP
  2. waziuz

waziuz Active Member

Best Answers:
    1. Sitemap helps at least in pinging updates very quickly. Not a necessity but there is no reason why it should not be installed.

2. It submits to all three G, Y and B and also to ask.com .. you only need account for yahoo and a key but not for the other three.

Sitemap part of Yoast SEO does not even require yahoo registration. But I would advise you to go with Google XML Sitemap Plugin as Yoast SEO would also bring loads of other functions you might not need if you already use another SEO plugin. Yahoo registration does not take much time and it does not matter much if you dont submit to yahoo. I dont do personally on a lot of my websites and it is fine.

waziuz, Jul 6, 2011 IP
  3. sixrfan

sixrfan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    hmmm. good info.

just want to confirm one thing...so i don't have to create a google account? in the tutorial vids all the users are logging in to google. i guess they were demonstrating earlier versions of this plugin?

sixrfan, Jul 6, 2011 IP
  4. sunl

sunl Peon

Best Answers:
    You need to submit sitemap in Google webmaster tool. You have no need to create google account if you have already one like gmail,Orkut, etc etc. use your gmail or any Google service login and password to login in Webmaster tool.Only one login and password required to access all Google services. I think i done.

sunl, Jul 6, 2011 IP
    sixrfan likes this.
  5. sixrfan

Best Answers:
    great. thank you!

sixrfan, Jul 6, 2011 IP
  6. waziuz

waziuz Active Member

Best Answers:

Through the sitemap plugin you do not need to create a google account too. Google webmaster is separate and has lot of functions and it is not only about sitemaps. You can submit there too but the plugin itself will automatically submit to the search engines including google. That is the work of the plugin and so there is no reason why you should repeat it manually again.

waziuz, Jul 7, 2011 IP
    sixrfan likes this.
  7. gushy0202

gushy0202 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yoast SEO plugin will take care of xml sitemaps by itself so you dont need a seperate xml sitemap plugin. yoast plugin simply rocks SEO world...

gushy0202, Jul 7, 2011 IP
  8. sixrfan

Best Answers:
    you mean i dont need a plugin to handle the Meta titles/descriptions AND a separate plugin for XML sitemap?

also, like the Google XML, i do NOT need to open any sort of Google account? It submits the sitemaps automatically for me?

sixrfan, Jul 11, 2011 IP
  9. kiramanic

kiramanic Peon

Best Answers:
    I've never used the Yoast plugin so can't help on that one.

If you do end up using Google XML that's correct, you won't need to open a Google account or manually submit it anywhere, the plugin basically grabs Google by the shoulders and yells "CONTENT HERE!".

p.s. if you install the plugin, on the settings page it actually says "No registration required, but you can join the Google Webmaster Tools to check crawling statistics."

kiramanic, Jul 11, 2011 IP
  10. asmartgoat

asmartgoat Peon

Best Answers:
    In which other way can you submit it to google? The only way I can find is through logging into Google Webmaster Tools.

asmartgoat, Jul 11, 2011 IP
  11. linksdirect

linksdirect Peon

Best Answers:
    Just installed Google XML on a wordpress site and didn't need a Google account to do it, just install and activate.

linksdirect, Jul 13, 2011 IP
  12. sixrfan

Best Answers:
    cool! I just installed it. i'm assuming i can leave all default settings as is and it's good to go...

sixrfan, Jul 14, 2011 IP
  13. waziuz

waziuz Active Member

Best Answers:
    When you go to Settings ==> XML Sitemaps inside your wordpress dashboard, it should show up as sitemap created and submitted if you installed it correctly. If it is not showing up click generate and submit sitemap. After every post is published the sitemaps automatically submits to the search engines.

waziuz, Jul 14, 2011 IP
  14. hashif

hashif Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Google xmla sitemaps is working great for my autoblogs..:)

hashif, Jul 14, 2011 IP