1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

ODP editor, please read me

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by abbynormal1, Oct 16, 2006.

1. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    And I thought it use to be bad for me while waiting ages to get permissions for one more category. :rolleyes:

Can't wait to see the results - hopefully before the end of the year. ;)

Ivan Bajlo, Oct 26, 2006 IP
  2. copperdrum

copperdrum Peon

Best Answers:
    That may be dependent on whether the servers are fixed by then or not. :p

copperdrum, Oct 26, 2006 IP
  3. csutoras

csutoras Peon

Best Answers:
    Look.

When you have a respect accredited to you as a community that reviews peoples site it should come with responsibility.

I have heard many editors from DMOZ say they have not looked at a site in months.

I know nothing is perfect, but please don't throw out a bunch of defense of DMOZ crap.

A site that is a legitament site in a small niche field that cannot get reviewed in over a year is a failure in the system.

I dont care if DMOZ changes or not but i would sure like to see the SE stop giving them so much credit. It is common knowledge they don't deserve it.

And i am not really out hunting for someone to pay off. I just want to vent.

csutoras, Oct 26, 2006 IP
  4. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    pffhtt @csutoras Did you forget posting this?

What a dunce! :rolleyes:

compostannie, Oct 26, 2006 IP
    Seiya and crossman like this.
  5. lmocr

lmocr Peon

Best Answers:
    That is true, if the objective of the Open Directory Project was to review other peoples' sites, then there would be a responsibility for timely review.
    There are many other aspects to maintaining a directory then adding sites. Among those are mentoring new editors, correcting typos and spelling errors, responding to update requests, removing duplicate suggestions, removing nonworking listings, etc.
    Okay.
    Assuming that the system is in place to review sites, you are absolutely correct. However, that assumption cannot be applied to the Open Directory Project since the purpose of the directory systems is to provide a quality directory for surfers - not to review every suggested site within a specific timeframe.
    Okay, you're entitled to your opinion - others have a different one.
    Venting can be good for your health. :)

lmocr, Oct 26, 2006 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  6. crossman

crossman Peon

Best Answers:
    :eek: mabe csutoras did forget about that post....:rolleyes:

crossman, Oct 26, 2006 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  7. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    I looked at your site (ejoyusa) through the eyes of a (retired) editall, i.e. no power to list it if I wanted to. It did not scream "list me", the content was barely sufficient and more of an extended advert. When I was an editor, had I come across the site and had nothing better to do then I may have listed it. But I would have put it in the bottom quartile of listable sites and had there been plenty of better sites to review would have focused on them not yours. To get a rapid listing you need really to have a site that screams "list me and list me now".

This is the impression given by having only one paragraph to your services. About Ejoy link - sparse. Next link is a forum with few posts. By this point I had got bored rigid and had formed my impression. Then you get to Certification Marks and there is quite a bit of useful information there - not sure how original it is but it is there. But I had already checked the first three links and was not impressed. If you want a list me now impression to be given, which translates to a surfer as read me now then your useful information has to be far more prominent and/or the other pages more comprehensive. Don't blame editors - the fault lies in your site layout if they miss something.

But offering to bribe an editor kills it as a listing - no editor could list it for fear they would be seen as being corrupt. And it is probably tagged to warn editors off for that reason now.

Too late!

DMOZ is it's own worst enemy by publishing misleading and in some cases plain incorrect advice and guidelines. Then it blames webmasters for misunderstanding.

I did. Waste of time unless it fits with an Admin's personal agenda. If it isn't on one of their personal agendas then it is "disruptive" and you'll get no thanks.

Good!

brizzie, Oct 26, 2006 IP
  8. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    LOL, you are so naive. Don't you know that the source of information is as important as the information. ;)

gworld, Oct 26, 2006 IP
  9. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The discussion in internal forums is just a plaster to make things look good that would lead to the belief that everybody participated in a gang rape kind setting. But the mastermind is still the ultimate decision maker which is the Admin and the blessings of its policy holder.

popotalk, Oct 26, 2006 IP
  10. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    You misunderstand. It is good that editors are talking. Better than not talking about it. My expectations of anything coming of it, unless initiated by an Admin, are very low. ;)

brizzie, Oct 26, 2006 IP
  11. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    LOL :D :D again. Ass kissers are always talking, it is more of a surprise when they are quite. ;)

gworld, Oct 26, 2006 IP
  12. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    You're very sour this evening gworld, if people want to talk then don't knock it - you never know what might come out of it.

brizzie, Oct 26, 2006 IP
  13. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Another promotion, may be? :D

gworld, Oct 26, 2006 IP
  14. csutoras

csutoras Peon

Best Answers:
    Forget... don't make post personal.. So if i post it there and i post it here it is no longer venting..

I am not an idiot. What i would pay to get in ODP for real i could pay for better long term links than the ODP would do for me.

So get a grip.

15. csutoras

csutoras Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the evaluation of the site. The field itself is not overly exciting. Each aspect is so differant than the other there is not way to put more into a main page.

Regardless i show very high in all SEs for my terms and i have a very high conversion rate of visiters to clients. So to people in the field of my buisness i do very well.

The point is not whether you think the site is worthy. I am not the only one who thinks this. It is a common thought pattern across the online community and i am preaching to the choir to about 95% of these readers. The only ones who have something to say are ODP editors and i can respect you wanting to protect them.

I would appreciate it if people would bother to be professional enough not to make everything person.

You didnt make it overly personal so i am not striking at you but you don't have much knowledge of my field or you would know that there are very few sites that give about 10% of the information i give and almost none in one spot.

16. csutoras

csutoras Peon

Best Answers:
    I would also like to mention i was on a small business forum for quite some time and there are about 10 or so editors from ODP. There was a good long post with three of them talking about how they left because they saw alot of editors eliminating competition sites, doing full reviews and submitting them to have higher ups turn and just eliminate them and then say the reason for overturning the editors choice was because he know the sites owner was a jerk.

They went on to say half the editors dont even do anything at all and cant believe that they themselves, after being active so long, could still even log in and access pages still.

I am not just waving a stick to be an ass. This is evident in the way they practice and the way that the former and current editors speak about it.

I know people who have had all 20 of their employees submit to be editors so that one would get in and maybe approve their clients sites.

I have heard from numerous people who were able to pay to get in and of course they are not saying who but they got the results and thats all that matters.

So... anyhooot.. i am getting bored of beating this horse.

17. copperdrum

copperdrum Peon

Best Answers:
    I know this guy, who used to know this other guy that was a cousin of a guy who dated a girl that was the sister of a guy that had a friend that knew a guy........ :rolleyes:

Seriously though if you:
    why worry about dmoz at all? All it could accomplish for you is another link at best so I fail to see any reason to worry about it.

copperdrum, Oct 27, 2006 IP
  18. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    What if I give you a direct name. Can you do anything ? :rolleyes:

popotalk, Oct 27, 2006 IP
  19. copperdrum

copperdrum Peon

Best Answers:
    Don't know, give it to me with whatever your proof is and let me see. I know one thing I am not affraid to act on it and try. But anyone can say he said/she said but showing proof of it is a bit more difficult.

copperdrum, Oct 27, 2006 IP
  20. csutoras

csutoras Peon

Best Answers:
    As i mentioned i am not worried.. For the exact points you pointed out. THis post existed and it hit a cord with me and i added on to it my feeling on the issue.

From there i have simply responded to comment.

csutoras, Oct 27, 2006 IP