1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

ODP editor, please read me

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by abbynormal1, Oct 16, 2006.

I've submitted a site I work on to the ODP a couple times in the past. I'm really curious why it has never been included. I'd really like an editor to take a look at it and give me an opinion on why it isn't being included.

Please pm me so I can give you the url.

P.S. This isn't an attempt to do anything except extract an opinion.

abbynormal1, Oct 16, 2006 IP
  2. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    What category? What's the URL?

compostannie, Oct 16, 2006 IP
  3. Tyler Banfield

Tyler Banfield Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I sent you a PM, but it would be easiest if you just posted your URL on this thread.

Tyler Banfield, Oct 16, 2006 IP
  4. csutoras

csutoras Peon

Best Answers:
    I am in this same boat.

I submitted a legit business site over a year ago and had to go resubmit about 2 months back.

I also submitted a second site i have with no luck. It has left me searching for any real way to get a legit site in DMOZ.

http://www.ejoyusa.com
    http://www.weirdasianews.com

I am open to any advise or comments but i am really just trying to get a legitament good site listed.

thanks

csutoras, Oct 24, 2006 IP
  5. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    When I open ejoyusa, why does it try and download a cookie from weirdasianews?

brizzie, Oct 24, 2006 IP
  6. dkessaris

dkessaris Peon

Best Answers:
    It's the banner at the bottom that uses weirdasianews ad server

dkessaris, Oct 24, 2006 IP
  7. csutoras

csutoras Peon

Best Answers:
    The ads in the bottom are tracked so as to not show twice in a certain amount of time to each visiter.

csutoras, Oct 25, 2006 IP
  8. Fauxpaw

Fauxpaw Peon

Best Answers:
    I'd be willing to bet that the reason your sites haven't been listed has nothing to do with the quality of the sites. DMOZ editors aren't required to review public submissions, and when they do, they're not required to do so in any particular order. So your site could sit there unreviewed for months or even years.

Fauxpaw, Oct 25, 2006 IP
  9. csutoras

csutoras Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah but when a community has such a respect and power of influence you would think they would have a system in place to red flag submitted sites past a certain date.

At this point in the ODP life there is no longer a real excuse. They turn down editors left and right and then don't have enough people to review a site within a year.

This is why so many people i know pay to get in. If an editor of ODP wants to get paid please PM me.

csutoras, Oct 25, 2006 IP
  10. copperdrum

copperdrum Peon

Best Answers:
    Well that could be true, if the age of a submission were important to editors. But since editors don't have to review suggestions in any specific order, the suggestion date isn't relevant so flagging it isn't necessary.

Well you did find an excellent way for potentially getting your sites flagged for something. :rolleyes:

copperdrum, Oct 26, 2006 IP
  11. aditya_sfs

aditya_sfs Peon

Best Answers:
    mee too ... i submitted a site with lots of original content and no adsense also.. but its still pending.....

aditya_sfs, Oct 26, 2006 IP
  12. csutoras

csutoras Peon

Best Answers:
    The point is more to the fact that it amazes me that a site like ODP gets the recognition it does. They do a horrible job and have made actually less and less effort to get better.

And after 1 year 2 months trying to get in DMOZ i am not too concerned that i might get red flagged.. What are they gonna do... not review my site.. lol.

csutoras, Oct 26, 2006 IP
  13. copperdrum

copperdrum Peon

Best Answers:
    dmoz has never (to my knowledge) provided a listing service, so not listing a site in a time frame that someone else expects imo doesn't equal a horrible job performance. Are there things that need to be done better? Sure, that can be said about most projects. Not listing your site or my site in the time frame we expect is not the editors failing at their job.

Yeah that and/or ban them and any other sites that they/you are associated with.

copperdrum, Oct 26, 2006 IP
  14. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, what copperdrum said. Plus we won't give you any green rep here. :D

compostannie, Oct 26, 2006 IP
  15. Fauxpaw

Fauxpaw Peon

Best Answers:
    I think a lot of the animosity toward the DMOZ could be lessened if the folks in charge were completely blunt and honest about how the whole thing works. For example, here's a quote from the "Suggest URL" page:

"Depending on factors such as the volume of submissions to the particular category, it may take several weeks or more before your submission is reviewed."

Several weeks or more? Everyone here knows this is a joke. They should just come out and say, "It could take weeks, months or even years to review your site. In fact, it may never be reviewed at all."

Fauxpaw, Oct 26, 2006 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  16. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    THEY? :confused:

What do you mean by they? Fauxpaw, you said you are a dmoz editor. That makes you part of the they you are criticizing since volunteers do that type of work. If you really believe it should be changed/updated then volunteer to do it. Just go to the internal forums and start a thread, propose some language and get it done.

Remember, there's more to editing than working on unreviewed submissions. ;)

17. Fauxpaw

Fauxpaw Peon

Best Answers:
    Heh, that's funny. I can't even make a subcategory without my editor giving me the third degree. But hey, why not?

Edit: I just posted my suggestion in the editor-only forums. Let's see what happens!

Fauxpaw, Oct 26, 2006 IP
  18. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    Why not indeed! I've heard other editors say it should be done but as far as I can recall I've never seen anyone make it a priority. I can't imagine it would be a hard thing to do. :)

19. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Do you mean the corruption Incorporated? ;) :D

gworld, Oct 26, 2006 IP
  20. lmocr

lmocr Peon

Best Answers:
    There is an internal discussion in progress about updating the guidelines. Please join in and offer your opnions, fauxpaw.

lmocr, Oct 26, 2006 IP
    compostannie likes this.