1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Dmoz takes too long time for website listing

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by rachelhudson, Jun 21, 2011.

I have submitted my website 1 year before, but still it’s not listed…I didn’t get any mail from Dmoz… I have done regional listing for my website for getting relevancy but still not get any improvements in my website listing…

I don’t know why dmoz taking too long time… I heard that it’s only accept quality websites, but when I checked some categories and then find there some website closed then why dmoz not update it’s database with new websites or remove all closed website listings…

rachelhudson, Jun 21, 2011 IP
  2. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Had you thought of reading the sticky Dmoz 101: Background on the Open Directory Project thread at the top of this forum? How DMOZ works and the answers to your question are all in there :)

Alternatively, here's some boilerplate:

You might have misunderstood our objectives and how we operate here. ODP is a volunteer organisation building a directory as a hobby. Editors edit where they wish, when they wish and as much as they wish within the constraints of their permissions. We have no schedules or systems to force people to do work that they don't volunteer to do. ODP is not primarily a free listing service for website owners and it does not attempt to process their listing suggestions within the time scales desired by them.

Some volunteer will process your listing suggestion in time but we can't predict who or when that might be. Elapsed times can range from a few days to a few years. There is no need to re-suggest your website and doing so could be counter-productive because a later suggestion overwrites any earlier one.

jimnoble, Jun 21, 2011 IP
  3. offpagepower

offpagepower Peon

Best Answers:
    I think it is actually faster to become an editor in dmoz than to be listed.

offpagepower, Jun 22, 2011 IP
  4. weknowonlinemarketing

weknowonlinemarketing Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the useful information.

weknowonlinemarketing, Jun 22, 2011 IP
  5. roilin

roilin Peon

Best Answers:
    resubmitted is useful when suffer from this problem? i want to know.

roilin, Jun 23, 2011 IP
  6. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    WOW... RTFM!

No, resubmitting is generally not a good idea.

Qryztufre, Jun 23, 2011 IP
  7. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Just ignore him Q (as I did). He's only trying to up his post count.

jimnoble, Jun 23, 2011 IP
  8. PokerBonus

PokerBonus Member

Best Answers:
    Just a shame we can't report a section idle or out of date, some editors are great and keep theirs up to date but it would be nice to 'nudge' those who haven't touched their section for a while. Some sections are 1 year+ out of date, surely a new editor should be looked for after this amount of time, or at least the current editor asked whether they would like to continue? And yes, I know, if I'm so keen to have it up to date I should volunteer myself, of course I've always meant to but just haven't had the time...yet - maybe I need a little nudge :)

PokerBonus, Jun 23, 2011 IP
  9. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Here's the nudge you want.

Also note that no one editor has a category, over 200 editors can edit anywhere and often do. Also any editor further up the tree can edit lower in the tree. Also we have no problems with having more than one editor listed in a category, usually. So having an editor listed should not put anyone off, including editors who also have to volunteer to take up new sections, from volunteering.A name at the bottom of a category does not indicate it is 'their' category, it just shows the limits of where they can edit (though sometimes one asks for a category and ones name is added, for ease of access when one has wider editing privileges).

Anonymously, Jun 23, 2011 IP
  10. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Jim is right. I'm just upping my post count, so simply ignore my post above about it being a bad idea to resubmit. Clearly, Jim knows what he is talking about as he is an editor and I am not, and as he said I should be ignored, that means it must be a fantastic idea to resubmit your site.

Right Jim?

Qryztufre, Jun 24, 2011 IP
  11. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    ROFLAO, can't you read? Jim told YOU to ignore the op because the op was trying to put up their post count.

Anonymously, Jun 24, 2011 IP
  12. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Given most of the editors still use pine and believe that html (true html) should consist of blue text on black backgrounds, I'd gather unless you've got a time machine back to 1995 and a mosaic browser, you're SOL.

Mia, Jun 24, 2011 IP
    Qryztufre likes this.
  13. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Heh... sorry, am used to talking to you it seems. As it's generally you that says it's OK to resubmit in one post, then not to do such a thing in another.

Sorry jim for misreading your post, and being a smartass to ya.

Qryztufre, Jun 24, 2011 IP
  14. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    It's Ok we know you deliberately misread most posts and then twist the as you did here.

Anonymously, Jun 25, 2011 IP
  15. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    LOL, fancy claim there. Care to offer up further evidence of such things, or are you simply trolling as usual? Seriously, do you EVER have anything helpful or even nice to say here, or do you just enjoy going into thread to change their topics into discussions about me?

Though, heh, I'd love to see some proof of me twisting anything into something else.

Qryztufre, Jun 26, 2011 IP
  16. brandonconnell

brandonconnell Member

Best Answers:
    Categories being out of date is irrelevant to the suggestion about notifying dmoz about editors not editing there. Did that make sense? Basically, an editor in a specific category MUST login within a certain amount of time and make an edit, or they lose their editing privileges. Based on that fact, "something" has been changed, and it just was not noticed by a casual user or webmaster using the directory.

In addition, someone above mentioned that there are MANY editors that can edit in multiple categories.

You just want to submit it and forget it. Our mission as editors is to find relevant quality sites for categories. The submission process for a site is really a courtesy, and not a requirement to edit such submissions. We do get to them though, most of us... in time.

brandonconnell, Jun 26, 2011 IP