1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Windows vs. Linux

Discussion in 'Bing' started by wolvereen123, Jun 17, 2011.

First thing is

Cost: That Linux is FREE and Window is not.

second

Compatibility: Linux is POSIX Compliant which means that applications developed for Linux can be operated on other POSIX compliant Unix derivatives with a minimum of reworking.

third
    Security: Linux is Open Source Software, while Windows is not. Linux dose not required antivirus but Windows want.

fourth
    Reliability: The architecture of Linux is superior to Windows because critical operation system functions are implemented in such a way that buggy programs can't cause the computer to become unstable and crash.

And much more
    Advanced Capabilities
    etc..

So go with linux.

Thanx

wolvereen123, Jun 17, 2011 IP
  2. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Linux is NOT fully compliant.
    That's the best you can do? While I agree that any *nix system can run rings around Windows and spit in its face, your thread is as lame as they get.

drhowarddrfine, Jun 17, 2011 IP
  3. Alastair Gilfillan

Alastair Gilfillan Active Member

Best Answers:
    Nothing else needs to be added. :)

Alastair Gilfillan, Jun 17, 2011 IP
  4. chamiljayaweera@yahoo.com

chamiljayaweera@yahoo.com Peon

Best Answers:
    I prefer Ubuntu rather than original Linux. Ubuntu is user friendly.

5. Alastair Gilfillan

Best Answers:
    My desktops have Ubuntu on them too but Linux isn't a stand-alone OS, rather the kernel that most OSs use.

http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=major

Alastair Gilfillan, Jun 18, 2011 IP
  6. RapidSpeeds

RapidSpeeds Peon

Best Answers:
    Hah, well said.

RapidSpeeds, Jun 20, 2011 IP
  7. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Obviously since you don't mention ANY of those "ways" it shows you don't know anything.
    And proof that you've never even used Linux.

drhowarddrfine, Jun 21, 2011 IP
  8. india9

india9 Member

Best Answers:
    I have never used Linux.
    My friend said it is difficult to use?

india9, Jun 21, 2011 IP
  9. softsolutions

softsolutions Peon

Best Answers:
    I'll go with window..

softsolutions, Jun 21, 2011 IP
  10. xs-admin

xs-admin Peon

Best Answers:
    Well if the linux is choice then I suggest Fedora and Ubuntu both are user friendly. If you need more flexibility then opt CentOS and Debian

xs-admin, Jun 21, 2011 IP
  11. Alastair Gilfillan

Best Answers:
    Don't be such a doubter! We'll just have to take his/her statement at face value until we hear all of these ways. I can't say I'm an authority because I don't have Windows installed on anything and Caspir has two desktops and one laptop - all running Windows!

Wise choice. If that doesn't work out, at least you'll already have bought software licences and have a hard time getting your data into open formats which makes it a lot easier to be happy in your decision. Most people use the same justification for using Windows because it's what they know. I remember life before the internet and it was okay so this might be my last post. I also won't need Windows updates to patch that sinking ship because I won't be connected to the internet. :cool:

Alastair Gilfillan, Jun 21, 2011 IP
  12. facetube

facetube Peon

Best Answers:
    In my opinion. Windows belongs on the desktop and *nix belongs in the Datacentre.

facetube, Jun 21, 2011 IP
  13. Alastair Gilfillan

Best Answers:
    My opinion: Why's that? You've a problem with consumers using Linux and MacOS instead of the lowest common denominator OS? The only reasons I can think of are proprietary programmes people use. In my case I sometimes have windows installed next to to Linux for a few games and music-production software but for day-to-day usage, I couldn't justify the clunkiness and blueness of Windows.

Why do you think that Linux's efficiency and costs make it integral for workplace use while simultaneously excluding it from the home? Seems bizarre to me. :S

Facts: The countries that use Linux the least are those who cannot afford the OS and programme licence costs and where software piracy is not strictly monitored (oriental countries) such that they've no concern for the remuneration of the programmers that made the software they use. Countries (and businesses) with the intelligence and money to respect intellectual property (while choosing not to buy software licences) have higher Linux usage rates.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  14. MattDunbar

MattDunbar Peon

Best Answers:
    I have several Linux machines and one Windows laptop which I'm using right now... I also have a mac book (OS X is based on UNIX, so in a sense similar to Linux).

Windows Pros:
    -I've been using it since DOS. I'm quite familiar with it.
    -Generally, its more newbie friendly.
    -More applications are built for windows from major software developers.
    -Can be costly.

Linux Pros:
    -It is a lot more powerful/simple when you need to do things QUICKLY. E.g. setting up a DNS server is a matter of using your package manager then editing a config file on linux. On windows you have to go through a GUI, setup the server, and configure it through the GUI (then go into Domains/Forests, etc).
    -Open source, I know EXACTLY what I am putting on my computer. We really have no way to know that microsoft isn't secretly logging certain data about us (unless we start searching all writable components of our computers).
    -Its free.

MattDunbar, Jun 21, 2011 IP
  15. ankurbharali

ankurbharali Peon

Best Answers:
    If you have not used linux ,you should not comment

ankurbharali, Jun 21, 2011 IP
  16. Alastair Gilfillan

Best Answers:
    Your common sense is misplaced in this thread... Linux is for geeks! I love my Microsoft XBox 360 with NETFLIX!!! :rolleyes:
    - User familiarity is hardly a feature of Windows. :p
    - I would certainly agree that most distributions are less user-friendly than Windows but there are ones out there that kill anything MS has ever made. Meego, Ubuntu, Xandros EEE... Linux can be very user-friendly it just doesn't have many friends. :(
    - Correct! I'm lucky to have gone the web path which favours OS.
    - Is that a pro now? :eek:

17. MattDunbar

MattDunbar Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey hey, I'm a linux fan boy too, I just wanted to give them a few points...

User familiarity is an issue, since most public schools use Windows boxes, at least here in Canada/USA.

User-friendly is different from newbie-friendly. Newbies can find a lot more resources on using windows than they can Linux, and a lot more friends for support. In terms of ease of accessing functionality once you are familiar with the system, linux wins hands down in several distributions (but not all).

MattDunbar, Jun 22, 2011 IP
  18. serversea

serversea Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, in my opinion both Windows and Linux are two great OS. Their structure is totally different so there should be no compare.

Although, Linux is little much ahead in security but yet Windows offer a great GUI and for that it has the largest number of users in the world which will take decades to beat for any other OS.

serversea, Jun 22, 2011 IP
  19. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Linux has "GUI" desktops that perform as good and better than Windows does.
    In five years, everyone here will be using a non-Windows computer on a regular basis more than a Windows computer. It will be either an Apple OS or Android. Guaranteed. Write it down. Come back here in five years and tell me how write I was.

drhowarddrfine, Jun 22, 2011 IP
  20. Alastair Gilfillan

Best Answers:
    If they were the same, we wouldn't be comparing them. ;)

You think it's the most popular because of the GUI? You can't believe that most people choose their OS conscientiously...can you?! Have you ever gone into a computer shop and had the salesman say:

"Okay; first up is the latest Windows: try this for 15 minutes then we'll give you a test-drive of Macintosh OS and some Linux distributions before you make a decision."

People buy it because it's heavily-advertised and easily-accessible. Apple's iPhone and Android are examples of the same. I'm not saying either is inherently better or worse (though you can guess my preference) but that's how it works. Android, as a Linux distribution, did not get popular for its own merits - it is the most popular modern phone OS because it happens to have the largest internet company backing it. Windows has the biggest software company behind it and Linux... née Ubuntu has... Mark Shuttleworth's donations behind it haha.

Have you been living under a rock? In 5 years we will all be using Kinect™ to control our Avatars® and won't need to go outside. I hope you have your .NET barcode tattoo or you won't be able to access any services in the coming New World. Consider this a friendly warning before it's too late.

-------------------------
    Sent from my Windows Phone

Alastair Gilfillan, Jun 22, 2011 IP