1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Starting a forum. Some Questions.

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by rehan4pk, Jun 16, 2011.

Hi all. I am thinking to start a ptc forum and have some questions in my mind before i get started.

1. Which is the overall best free forum software. I have heared about phpbb and smf. I want to know a forum software which is best for members as well as advertisers. It should have very good advertising features like banner ads at top.

2. I have seen somewhere that there is a banner ad after every post. How is it possible? If can be done in the software in point 1.

3. Which software is dp using? is it free? :D

4. Is it correct that admin can read members' private messages? If yes, then how? I have experienced phpbb forum before but it wasn't there.

5. How much cost will i have to bear on hosting if it has 100 to 1000 members and like that stats. Minimum per month?

6. Any other thing you would like to tell or suggest.
    Waiting for answers:)

rehan4pk, Jun 16, 2011 IP
  2. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    1. The best software is merely a matter of opinion so use whatever suits you best.
    2. Most forums can be modified to place ads after posts or in various positions.
    3. Forget what DP is using, its probably so customised it could be its own brand anyway (LOL)
    4. Why try and spy on users personal conversations? What gives you the right to do so? I believe you can buy such a plugin :(
    5. 100 to 1000 members would require no special hosting, standard shared hosting would suffice.

snooks, Jun 17, 2011 IP
  3. rehan4pk

rehan4pk Active Member

Best Answers:

rehan4pk, Jun 17, 2011 IP
  4. masterrio

masterrio Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    1. Which is the overall best free forum software. I have heared about phpbb and smf. I want to know a forum software which is best for members as well as advertisers. It should have very good advertising features like banner ads at top.

You have even myBB, if I was u and was thinking of going for a free forum software I would either go with myBB or phpbb

2. I have seen somewhere that there is a banner ad after every post. How is it possible? If can be done in the software in point 1.

It needs custom coding and I believe all softwares have option for this either via an add-on or custom coding at the most u can hire an coder if its not available.

3. Which software is dp using? is it free? :D

dp used vBulletin and its no means a free script, you can check vbulletin.com for the pricing

4. Is it correct that admin can read members' private messages? If yes, then how? I have experienced phpbb forum before but it wasn't there.

lolz!!! If you want to run a forum, you must learn to give members privacy especially if its a business related forum. Anyways such add-ons are available with both vBulletin and IPB, I am not sure if free versions have it "free"

5. How much cost will i have to bear on hosting if it has 100 to 1000 members and like that stats. Minimum per month?

for kick off - if its not an illegal site you can go ahead with shared hosting with a host such as midphase or etc for around $10 a month

6. Any other thing you would like to tell or suggest.

Yes, are you going to be dedicated with this forum ?
    Do u have minimum html knowledge ? If no, better you learn basics of html if php is above your reach. I wouldn't be personally happy to rely on some one else for my works, so are you ready to do that ?
    I know admins who doesn't have any knowledge doing really well, but on a business forum I wouldn't recommend similar unless your partner is really a reliable friend.

masterrio, Jun 17, 2011 IP
  5. alex_e

alex_e Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    You can read everything that goes on as its stored in the mysql database
    All other questions have been answered by other members above :)

alex_e, Jun 19, 2011 IP