1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Should we re-update old posts with good keywords?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by michael.aulia, Jun 14, 2011.

Through Google Analytics, we can find out the keywords people type to get into our posts. I'm just wondering, is it a good idea to update that old posts and add those keywords in?

Will it have a good impact or a bad one for SEO (because Google has crawled that page, gave it rank, and somehow then we modified it)?

michael.aulia, Jun 14, 2011 IP
  2. Webby49

Webby49 Guest

Best Answers:
    You may as well give it a try. You can also use Google webmaster tools to see what the most relevant words are for your site, and google keyword analysis tool to see what types of words people are searching in the topic area of your blog post. Then you can make sure you get these words in there to drive the most traffic. I would say if you see an opportunity to drive more traffic then don't be afraid to edit for optimization

Webby49, Jun 15, 2011 IP
  3. JayePause

JayePause Peon

Best Answers:
    I really don't think it's going to hurt you. Give it a try, sometimes doing a few minor changes like changing keywords or shifting words around in your website can actually make a big difference and create more relevance for when the spiders do crawl your posts.

JayePause, Jun 15, 2011 IP
  4. michael.aulia

michael.aulia Active Member

Best Answers:
    Ah..interesting. I thought Google might get angry if we change a few things around after a post has already been crawled :) I bought an SEO plug-in today to help out in getting more optimizations out of some posts (I did have a look at my analytics and google webmater tools to find the keywords and potential posts)

Do you guys know how long before we can find out whether the optimizations work or not? (Google bots normally crawled my blog pretty often as I always write 1-2 unique content posts every day)

michael.aulia, Jun 15, 2011 IP
  5. searchtechword

searchtechword Peon

Best Answers:
    Updating your old posts is always a good idea and is always recommended for SEO purpose. As google ranking algorithm likes fresh contents, any recent update on older post will reindex your post. So it is always recommended and keywords are meant to be changed if you dont get them right in first instance (nobody does believe me)

searchtechword, Jun 15, 2011 IP
  6. JayePause

JayePause Peon

Best Answers:
    You are absolutely right, and I do believe you. I couldn't have said it better myself. :)

JayePause, Jun 15, 2011 IP
  7. SEOguide00

SEOguide00 Peon

Best Answers:
    You can just create new posts with your keywords in them. Just leave the old posts as they are.

SEOguide00, Jun 15, 2011 IP
  8. michael.aulia

Best Answers:
    "You can just create new posts with your keywords in them. Just leave the old posts as they are. "
    Well, it depends. Sometimes I want to re-polish my review posts. It'd be annoying for my readers if I make a new post but talking about the same gadget :) (although you can create new posts for other post topics)

As algorithm likes fresh contents, any recent update on older post will reindex your post.
    That's cool! I wonder why one of my good post does not appear in Google (even when I use site:cravingtech.com to search for the post). I'll try modifying the post/optimize it and hopefully Google adds it to the index

Excited to see whether the tweaks can bring me extra traffic

michael.aulia, Jun 15, 2011 IP
  9. kepc536

kepc536 Peon

Best Answers:
    I have seen this question asked before, and the general consensus was that it's a good idea to update your old posts to make it more relevant. (Maybe a tips post that was written a few years ago that could use an update now)

kepc536, Jun 15, 2011 IP
  10. revium

revium Member

Best Answers:
    If your posts are ranking well already and receiving lots of traffic then be careful about what you change, since it could affect those rankings. When I go back and change older articles/posts, I focus on changing ones that are not ranking well or are not receiving much traffic so any changes I make do not hurt current traffic levels.

revium, Jun 15, 2011 IP
  11. derekad

derekad Peon

Best Answers:
    why just not to post new one?

derekad, Jun 16, 2011 IP
  12. SEOguide00

SEOguide00 Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, you have a point. I think there's not a problem with updating old posts. Google will just index the pages again and give new rank accordingly.

SEOguide00, Jun 16, 2011 IP
  13. revium

revium Member

Best Answers:
    Posting a new article is always another route to go and cannot hurt, but if you have some links going to an article that is not ranking well, sometimes it can be easier to get it to rank by just tweaking it some. Sometimes you want to capitalize on backlinks that already exist rather than starting from scratch.

revium, Jun 16, 2011 IP
  14. michael.aulia

Best Answers:
    Ohhhhhhhhh definitely could see the traffic increase after Google has recrawled some of my popular posts!

Been getting around 1,900 unique visitors a day since Google Panda update (April) and for the past 2 days, I've got around 3,100 unique visitors! (and the traffic increase were from the same top posts which got better rankings at Google search results). Very happy and will monitor for another week and write a post about it :)

Used to get 3,500 visitors a day, but it's getting there

michael.aulia, Jun 19, 2011 IP
  15. serversea

serversea Peon

Best Answers:
    Its not an issue at all, go ahead with it.

serversea, Jun 19, 2011 IP
  16. seoakram

seoakram Peon

Best Answers:
    Updating your old posts is always a good idea and is always recommended for SEO purpose. As google ranking algorithm likes fresh contents, any recent update on older post will reindex your post.If your posts are ranking well already and receiving lots of traffic then be careful about what you change, since it could affect those rankings. When I go back and change older articles/posts, I focus on changing ones that are not ranking well or are not receiving much traffic so any changes I make do not hurt current traffic levels.

seoakram, Jun 19, 2011 IP
  17. searchtechword

searchtechword Peon

Best Answers:
    Glad to see increase in your traffic.. Hope you reach your target mark and go beyond it.. All the best.

searchtechword, Jun 20, 2011 IP
  18. indiarajasthan

indiarajasthan Peon

Best Answers:
    yes you should change you site keyword . It will help you to increase you site traffic

indiarajasthan, Jun 20, 2011 IP
  19. JayePause

JayePause Peon

Best Answers:
    A good method to use, that we use all the time is the "blog and ping" method. After you post an article on your blog, go to blog pinging directories like pingoat.com, or ping-o-matic.com, or any other ping directories and then ping your blog and it will notify the SE's to crawl your page as there is new, fresh, relevant content to go through.

JayePause, Jun 23, 2011 IP
  20. michael.aulia

Best Answers:
    True, true. I got mine re-indexed by Google in about 3-5 days (I noticed the surge of traffic from 1,800 a day to 3,500 a day and saw the post title was changed in Google SERP)

michael.aulia, Jun 23, 2011 IP