1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Marketing on MySpace?

Discussion in 'Social Networks' started by LazyD, Oct 25, 2006.

Lately I have seen alot about marketing on MySpace and I a question or two...

My site is a credit card, loan and insurance site. While Loans and Insurance may not be up the alley of 18-24 year olds I think credit cards would be and with that age range I personally believe they might tend be a little more reckless and apply for credit cards...

First Off - I joined 2 groups from my personal account and posted threads in each with a link to my site, in the last 2 days my uniques have jumped from ~40 to ~70+ which is pretty good. The only problem is that those users arent clicking or converting which doesnt help me any...

Do you think that a MySpace bulletin for my site would convert at all?

Does anyone have examples of a good solid MySpace bulletin? Im not sure what to write...

LazyD, Oct 25, 2006 IP
  2. Bombaywala

Bombaywala Peon

Best Answers:
    Now that uniques have jumped - it is pretty good. You are not converting - then you need to write up some kick as* content and lure the visitors to click.

Not sure what to write? Read some marketing material - it is pretty easy - you will be able to write quality content within a month.

MySpace has all user groups - don't limit yourself.

Bombaywala, Oct 25, 2006 IP
  3. Vertigo51

Vertigo51 Peon

Best Answers:
    I think it really depends on the individul bulletin, and especially the wording. In my experience, a "would you mind checking out my site?" works wonders.

It personalizes you and your site, and doesn't give the impression of spam that a more direct bulletin might.

Good luck.

Vertigo51, Oct 25, 2006 IP
  4. xboxundone

xboxundone Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i perssonnally think you will have a hard time converting those on myspace... now ringtones, free ipods, FHM etc.. those will convert.

xboxundone, Oct 25, 2006 IP
  5. LazyD

LazyD Peon

Best Answers:
    Thats what im worried about too(not converting), but I guess the price isnt that much, so its worth a try...

I have a few articles up and im having 5 more being written right now, I have a forum, albeight, its not that active...

I like the idea of using a simple "Would you check out my site" rather then catch phrases or marketting terminology..

I think its worth a try but im also open to other marketting ideas, I have done the following:
    Submitted to Directories
    Bought and Done link exchanges (Backilnk watch and Iwebtool only show around 40 backlinks for my site)
    Put a blog up
    Have forums
    Tried incentives like forum poster with the most posts gets a prize (Started that last week)
    Submitted unique articles to ezine (only 2-3)
    Submitted Unique articles through ArticleSender

LazyD, Oct 25, 2006 IP
  6. Crynos

Crynos Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with xbox. Entertainment type sites will convert much better than most other sites (obviously this is different if you are advertising to a really nice niche, but as a rule its generally true)

Crynos, Oct 25, 2006 IP
  7. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I hope you are only offering advice on how to get out from under credit card debt; but it sounds like you are trying to get folks to apply for them.

I usually keep my mouth shut when it comes to sites of a somewhat questionable concept. But, really, you want to make money out of what will most likely lead to destroying young people's credit before they are even 25?

My mailbox at college was constantly full of these applications for free, no-limit, no whatever credit cards. While I didn't fall for it, a lot of kids did. Many were still paying them off well into their 30s.

Can you make money with this concept? Probably.

Personally, I hope you come up with another idea.

YMC, Oct 25, 2006 IP
    gemini181 likes this.
  8. xperior

xperior Active Member

Best Answers:
    You need to have very focused messages when you market on Myspace. Marketing to the younger crowds require a very direct message. If you're just sending them to a loan and insurance site they most likely won't have the patience or spend the time to look for the credit card info.

If that is your goal you should direct them to a page specifically setup for that reason only.

xperior, Oct 25, 2006 IP
  9. LazyD

LazyD Peon

Best Answers:
    YMC,

Call me heartless but isnt the idea behind affiliate sites to get someone to apply for something? I wouldnt have made a credit card site if I didnt want to make money, but I also provide unique articles, while there is only a handful on the site I have another batch being written. They cover topics from debt management, credit card basics, student credit cards, auto loans etc.

Im not trying to make myself out to be a saint, because, im not, by far but im not forcing them to apply for a credit card either. Im putting it out there, im showing them credit cards, whether they decide to click the link and fill out the form is not my responsibility.

So, if your asking me "But, really, you want to make money out of what will most likely lead to destroying young people's credit before they are even 25?"

Then my answer, Yes, because what they do with their credit card is not my responsibility, its advertising a product.

Xperior: I understand what your saying, I guess I never thought of it like that, the site has offers for Student credit cards so I guess marketing them directly to those cards would make more sense..

LazyD, Oct 25, 2006 IP
  10. xperior

xperior Active Member

Best Answers:
    Lazy D,

You could just send them directly to your Student Card page.

Another way I've made a lot of money is to give anyone who signs up an added incentive or bonus.

I'm not sure how much control you have over the information you receive when someone signs up through your link. If you have access to that info you could offer to send something of value like a report with resell rights to them as an extra carrot.

xperior, Oct 25, 2006 IP
  11. Bombaywala

Bombaywala Peon

Best Answers:
    LazyD - what is the incentive if a person visits your site? Now suppose the person is on your site - what is the incentive for the person to make the purchase? Your product ought to be really nice and application for the CC should be smooth without too many clicks. What is called in technical terms the action path, should be to the point, informative and short. (Too short and you loose faith from the potential client, too long and forget it - nobody has patience on web).

If you are targetting college kids - incentive could be to consolidate all CCs to one by transfering their balances to YOUR low apr CC or 0 apr for x months, etc...

'Please check my site' - you might increase traffic once again but forget converting the sale - you asked to check out - thats all!

My $0.02!

Bombaywala, Oct 25, 2006 IP
  12. LazyD

LazyD Peon

Best Answers:
    xperior and Bombaywala I appreciate your opinions, I am taking them into heavy consideration.

xperior, I dont have much control over what happens once they click apply for a certain card, it goes to the card issuers form with my affiliate link in the URL. I do understand what your saying about making an extra offer to them.

Bombaywala, I agree there should be more of an incentive then simply "click here to apply". I will definitely try to work something out like you suggested with consolidation of CCs to one card with a low rate.

LazyD, Oct 25, 2006 IP