1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

has anyone every gotten into dmoz, I think acceptance is a myth

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by Seriously, May 5, 2011.

1. tastesgreat

tastesgreat Peon

Best Answers:
    I've submitted over ten in the last five years and not one is in there yet.

tastesgreat, Jun 5, 2011 IP
  2. paidhosting

paidhosting Peon

Best Answers:
    Just wondering... does dmoz have any relevant value at all now a days ? Everyone is using google to search for sites and not dmoz directory for sites !!

paidhosting, Jun 5, 2011 IP
  3. itscolumn

itscolumn Peon

Best Answers:
    Sites with advertisement will not get listed?

Is this sure?

itscolumn, Jun 6, 2011 IP
  4. Renatus

Renatus Member

Best Answers:
    The site was run through the editors at Resource Zone and they said that the site complies with the guidelines and should be submitted. So I did just that. That was five years ago.

Renatus, Jun 6, 2011 IP
  5. balexandru1

balexandru1 Peon

Best Answers:
    Ive submitted a link a few weeks ago and nothing. No feedback from the guys from dmoz, Ive tried to search my web site and didn't got no kind of result :(.

balexandru1, Jun 7, 2011 IP
  6. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The exception to re-submissions is if you suggested the site BEFORE October 2006, when DMOZ went into meltdown and lost all pending suggestions. That might have been the fate of your site and as such a re-submission would be OK.

Anonymously, Jun 7, 2011 IP
  7. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Hmmm.... its a good thing thats clearly written within the guidelines, and a good thing that you add in such a disclaimer whenever you tell people to only submit once. Otherwise it would be very confusing to people when you say it's OK to submit more then once.
    [/sarcasm]

Qryztufre, Jun 7, 2011 IP
  8. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Several of my sites have been able to gain acceptance to DMOZ. And every single one of them? I did not request the listing. Anything I ever requested a listing for was ignored. Or the reply was, "that site is already listed".

Of the sites that are listed I can tell you this. They not only contain quality unique content, but they also are pretty much at the top of their category everywhere and generally rank Number One for their KW in google. Not cause I tried, but because that's just what the subject matter happened to be. The sites are all in excess of 10 years old as well.

Mia, Jun 24, 2011 IP
  9. pawnbroker

pawnbroker Peon

Best Answers:
    They just take too long!

pawnbroker, Jun 24, 2011 IP
  10. pawnbroker

pawnbroker Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh... Can I tell you a secret... Become an editor for DMOZ. Then you can add your own links and very fast. Correct me if I am wrong.

pawnbroker, Jun 24, 2011 IP
  11. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    You are more then correct, in fact, that is what the ODP was founded on!

Though, if you are just a lowly editor, chances are if you may find yourself in deep water if that's all you are listing. Yeah, yeah... list your own site, but list others as well, it's fair, and that's what will keep your sites listed. (as per the guidelines themselves!)

You can even get paid to list sites, as paid link builders are welcome within the folds of the ODP! (though thats a discussion for another thread).

But on the up & up, treat all the sites you edit/add fairly and as if they were your own.

Qryztufre, Jun 24, 2011 IP
  12. arhelectric

arhelectric Peon

Best Answers:
    Can you suggest that site checker?

arhelectric, Jun 24, 2011 IP
  13. itscolumn

itscolumn Peon

Best Answers:
    I find a lot of DMOZ checker is kind of fake.......mostly detect that my site is listed, but in fact, it is not when i directly check from DMOZ......

itscolumn, Jun 24, 2011 IP
  14. MasterDee

MasterDee Peon

Best Answers:

that can't be true.. i've viewed plenty of sites listed in Dmoz that have adsence and use affiliate links.

I give up on trying to get listed in dmoz. i've been trying for over 3 years to get one of my sites listed to no avail.

I've seen sites that dont even offer quality content get listed. Seems to me, some editors must favor certain sites..

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
    MasterDee, Jun 26, 2011 IP
  15. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    I hope "trying for over 3 years" does not mean that you keep re-submitting.That is against the guidelines you said you had read when you suggested the site. You can only hope, if your site is otherwise guideline compliant, that it sits in the suggestions pool, having had its datestamp changed each time you resubmitted, because if not then it has been deleted and banned as spam. Before you jump to conclusions,perhaps you should check that you have complied and not tried to tear up DMOZ rules.

Anonymously, Jun 26, 2011 IP
  16. MasterDee

MasterDee Peon

Best Answers:
    mate, i'm not stupid..

and with respect: before you start going on about conclusions maybe you should take your own advice before you start assuming I've submitted more than twice to two different categories and spouting about tearing up rules. I don't know how you got that one because I've not mentioned anything about rules - you did! Dmoz traffic is down nearly 60% and to be honest i know quite a few people in the web site development business that really don't care anymore about being listed.. The days of Dmoz being worth anything are over.. welcome to the new web!

and yes Editors do favor certain sites even if your in denial that they don't.. ( not all but some )

and secondly, our sites are doing great without dmoz.... i was merely pointing out the submission pain that thousands of people have voiced. three years our site is top of the serps, thousands of visitors a day, full of relevant content and yet still no acceptance.

Would you like for me to post links to categories in dmoz with sites that have broken links, no relevant content, crappy descriptions that a 12 year old could write better - and match these up with sites not listed that should be? Maybe then people can see something isn't right.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  17. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Sorry did you say that you did submit the same URL more than once?

You accepted that you had read DMOZ guidelines before you submitted and it CLEARLY says
    http://www.dmoz.org/docs/en/add.html

Anonymously, Jun 26, 2011 IP
  18. MasterDee

MasterDee Peon

Best Answers:
    why are you spending your-time trying to point out a policy that i already know and am very aware of - just to prove that is a reason for non- acceptance and it clearly says ( may result in the exclusion and/or deletion )

For your info - i first submitted a particular site three years ago and again a few weeks bk. if you saying that a gap of 2.9 years isn't enough then oh well.. i move on.. as i said Dmoz is dying and laid to rest in my web world. plenty more quality methods of link backs available on the new web that offer alot more substantial benefits over dmoz. nuff said.

19. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    What you did by suggesting the site again is to make it look like a new suggestion so an editor cleaning out old suggestions will miss yours. As I have a said many times on here if it were up to me I would turn suggestions off everywhere, but I lost that debate. Leaving editors to get on with their job, rather than trying to trawl through some suggestions pools which are mostly full of spam. Remember too that editors have no concern about any value that listing a site might give to it. We are simply following our spare time hobby of collecting and collating sites for anyone who wants to use that media for searching the web and whilst there are people who want to pursue that hobby then DMOZ will continue and if it has no use in SEO, why would that bother us?.

Anonymously, Jun 27, 2011 IP
  20. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Hmmm... are you saying it's a QUEUE? lol

Again, another submission of a single site wont hurt all that much in any of your cats, you don't use them, making the entire debate a moot point, and gives further credence to the FORGET 2 SUBMIT saying...

It also gives speculation as to just how many editors actually do edit in any given category... as the suggestion pool is optional, that can very likely mean that NO ONE uses it.

JOB? JOB? JOB?

Hmmm.... if it's a job, does that mean you are getting paid? At the very least it means it's not a hobby, as your hobby is not a job.

No clue, but then, no one really knows what makes an editor tick... you clearly stated in the past you'd quit if ya got paid, so it's very odd that you a) call it a job, and b) don't want to get paid for something you enjoy doing anyway.

Sounds a bit strange by most standards

Qryztufre, Jun 27, 2011 IP