1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Wordpress as video lesson website?

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by DanJacobs, Jun 6, 2011.

Hello :eek:

I am currently building a WP website, i already have a drum lesson website which has been live since Dec '09 (www.dansdrumlessons.com) with 180+ drum lessons downloadable and integrated with PayPal for cart. My web developer did this but he has moved to Malta so i want to try and do what i can by myself.

My new website(same as above but .co.uk) will have 150 drum lessons which will offer a complete drum course from beginner to advanced, i'm re-editing them right now and i'll upload to youtube so the customer doesn't have to download anything.

I know youtube u/l can be made public/private so i would assume if i made them all private and sell the entire package for say £19.99, I trying to work out how to then allow the customer to view them all?

or is there a way within WP to only allow certain customers via their email or username to view?

I must point out that i'm a musician so not at all good with computers but i'm learning very fast and enjoying it - i just wish i knew more :cool:

Any suggestions would be great

Thanks for your time
    Dan

DanJacobs, Jun 6, 2011 IP
  2. DaleB

DaleB Peon

Best Answers:
    Dan,

Wordpress is what i do.

PM me your email address and we can discuss further.

DaleB, Jun 6, 2011 IP
  3. DanJacobs

DanJacobs Member

Best Answers:
    Hi DaleB

Appreciate the offer but my budget is pretty much zero unfortunately so i don't want to waste your time

DanJacobs, Jun 7, 2011 IP
  4. joshpeyton

joshpeyton Peon

Best Answers:
    Wordpress has many plugins that could do what you want although I can't remember off the top of my head. I remember using one that created a membership site and accepted payment through paypal. It also allowed that you set certain pages only viewable to members. Wish I could point you in a more definite direction but start searching for paid membership wordpress plugins. If I find the plugin I'm referring to I'll post it.

joshpeyton, Jun 7, 2011 IP
  5. grega711

grega711 Peon

Best Answers:
    Look on the right when you're building a page. You can make it private with a password. Only people who buy your lessons get the password. Not perfect, but it'll give you a start. Good luck.

grega711, Jun 7, 2011 IP
  6. DaleB

DaleB Peon

Best Answers:
    Not wasting my time Dan, I'm always glad to help :)

DaleB, Jun 7, 2011 IP
  7. DanJacobs

DanJacobs Member

Best Answers:
    JoshPeyton - Thanks, yes i have found a plugin which is perfect as it has 2 layers of membership the only thing is i havn't got a clue about the installation as the extracted zip has so many files.

Dale, many thanks - the site is live now http://www.dansdrumlessons.co.uk i've managed to get 20 lesson images on the page (i have 130 more to do) linked the first 11 fine to youtube (private) videos but the next couple i linked in the same way don't work once updated?

I want my 'drum lesson video's' menu tab to have 5 sub-tabs for beginner, intermediate, advanced 1 2 & 3 and i've created these under categories but can't seem to get the attached to the tab, they show up separately/ I;m sure it's something simple but this is my first website i've worked on, while it is great fun its also very frustrating with very limited knowledge :)

apologies for the long post but any pointers would be appreciated

edit: I think i have sorted most of it, just need to know how to install the membership plugin

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
    DanJacobs, Jun 8, 2011 IP
  8. joshpeyton

joshpeyton Peon

Best Answers:
    There are 2 ways of installing the plugin:
    1)In wordpress, click add new under Plugins, click upload. Now select the zip file you have and it will upload. You should get a screen that has an activate button, click it.
    2)On your server navigate to wp-content/plugins and upload the unzipped folder to the plugins folder. Go into wordpress/plugins/ and activate the plugin.

note: you will probably have to configure some settings within the plugin once activated

Hope this helps

joshpeyton, Jun 9, 2011 IP
  9. DanJacobs

DanJacobs Member

Best Answers:
    Im working on that right now, Thanks JP

DanJacobs, Jun 9, 2011 IP