1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

why DMOZ is differ from other directory?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by upendraets, May 17, 2011.

i submit our site to DMOZ.
    so what is the advance here from other directory?

upendraets, May 17, 2011 IP
  2. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    None as far as I can tell. But there is a vast difference in how the directory is run and why it is run. It is human edited by volunteers, that means sometimes a site can wait years before it gets a review for a possible listing. The editors are not concerned about any value listing a site might give to it, that's why there is no rush. We build categories, not for site owners to get value, but for end users who want to use categorised data to search the net. It is our hobby and there are only a few members of AOL staff who get paid but don't edit.

Anonymously, May 17, 2011 IP
    CReed likes this.
  3. Brandon Sheley

Brandon Sheley Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    It's important because so many 1000's of directories pull their listing directly from DMOZ.

Brandon Sheley, May 17, 2011 IP
  4. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I disagree... if you did it for the end user, the ODP would be MUCH more personable, and a lot more open then it is. From what it looks like, they do it for their own ends, and their own ends only... yeah, they may add in a few other sites here and there, and rarely remove anything they ever do bother to add... but if it was for the end user, the place would be a lot cleaner then it is, and the editors would be a lot nicer of a group of folks to deal with.

That's certainly a difference between the ODP and most other directories... have an issue with any other directory and you'll generally get someone to talk too that's helpful!

Though, they do write bots to auto-list certain sites that break multiple guidelines. Is that true?

So it seems that yet another difference is, that the ODP is full of misleading statements and a completely different vocabulary then any other directory. heh... the ODP even will have one thing in their guidelines and the editors will say something completely opposite from that! *boggle*

Qryztufre, May 17, 2011 IP
  5. subashchandrapoudel

subashchandrapoudel Active Member

Best Answers:
    Simply because:

DMOZ is human edited and reviewed.
    DMOZ is one of the oldest and have very good reputation.
    Only good websites Can get into DMOZ
    DMOZ is trusted by google and a lot of other directories

So that gives you good SEO value , recognition and importance to your website if you get listed in DMOZ.

subashchandrapoudel, May 29, 2011 IP
  6. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    subashchandrapoudel says...

DMOZ is human edited and reviewed.

They have automated listings, and bots that help them remove sites. So when they say they are a HUMAN edited directory, that's just one of many examples of how misleading they really are.

DMOZ is one of the oldest and have very good reputation.

Old is not always better. They HAD a very good rep at one time, but that's been falling away for years. Sadly, many "SEO Experts" are still harping on about the old days when in fact, they are completely clueless about how things work now.

Only good websites Can get into DMOZ
    *boggle* Have you been to DMOZ lately? There are several sites with nothing but duplicate content, others that are nothing but affiliate sites, and many many more sites that would certainly never be defined as "good".

DMOZ is trusted by google and a lot of other directories
    Google does not really care anymore. At one point they did suggest that you submitted to the ODP, they no longer do that, which shows that the reputation of the directory is no longer outstanding, and that directories as a whole are not what they used to be.

So that gives you good SEO value , recognition and importance to your website if you get listed in DMOZ.

I am of the mind, there are three types of SEO, white hat, black hat, and old hat. Submitting to the ODP is now oldhat, regardless of what the latest SEO blogs are saying. As if you pay close attention to the "experts" they are simply re-hashing what the expert before them said, and so on.

Qryztufre, May 30, 2011 IP
  7. Netizenx

Netizenx Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    100% QFT.

It's a tragedy for the information society that DMOZ has any kind of authority on page rank. They are AOL, for God's sake, on top of all their other faults: inefficiency, lack of accountability, obsolescence, bias, elitism, etc. ad. nauseum.

Netizenx, Jun 2, 2011 IP
  8. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    @Netizenks

In one of the other DMOZ threads you stated
    This looks as good a place as any to question that statement.

snooks, Jun 3, 2011 IP
  9. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Who is a person who collects stamps accountable to? Someone who is following their hobby is only accountable to themselves. If they put stamps in the wrong area, then they only cheat themselves. If they don't spend any time on their hobby for weeks it is only they who can say "Gosh, I have let myself down". Do you think they should be accountable to the countries governments who print the stamps?

DMOZ is a group of people following their HOBBY. We do this simply because we enjoy collecting and colating URL's and if others who want to use such data can use it that's fine. Do you think we should pursue our hobby and be accountable to those who own and produce the sites. Are not people allowed to simply collect for the sake of it. Now if you have a gripe about the way, say Google,use the material then please complain to them, DMOZ has no influence over them at all. We just want to collect as a HOBBY.

Anonymously, Jun 4, 2011 IP
  10. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    The person who owns the stamp book. In this case, it would be AOL, which was more then implied in the post you were quoting.

As for complaining to AOL, mind sharing the information to contact them? It's not in the sticky here on DP, there are no links to it on DMOZ, and in every other thread where such information has been asked, there has yet to be an answer.

I once tried to search for information on the ODP at AOL itself, but sadly, I couldn't find any mention to it... it seems they don't care all that much for their stamp collection.

Not when that collection is owned by someone else!

So are you saying there is no end user?

Hmmm... are you saying there isn't a time frame editors must follow to remain editors? Last I checked there was...

Oh, that's right, you are only accountable to yourself.

WOW... did you buy the ODP from AOL? From this post it certainly sounds like it. You are talking like YOU own the directory, as you are certainly speaking for it (regardless of what your sig says). No wonder the directory has issues... it's the mindset like yours that gives the ODP itself a bad name. Kudos for taking time to collect only for yourself and forgetting the owners of DMOZ, and the end user!

Qryztufre, Jun 6, 2011 IP
  11. Netizenx

Netizenx Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    The idea that DMOZ is a hobby site is not correct. Check out the Wikipedia article on DMOZ:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Directory_Project

DMOZ is not an Open Directory.

Seeing Topix.com's listing in the category my site belongs to goes a long way to explaining why my site is not listed.

Netizenx, Jun 6, 2011 IP
  12. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    from the same article you quote and to look carefully at the part you quote which says
    note that word SOME. And as with the ODP there is many allegations about many things, usually from site owners who have not got sites listed or the odd booted editor who had been found to be crooked or the odd editor that lists their own site, has a wobbly and leaves and cannot get re-instatement. But it clearly says it is run, manned and for the purpose of the voluntary editors. In other words it is their HOBBY.

Topix is an old chestnut on here, all editors have the authority to remove ANY site they find that they feel does not meet up to guidelines and that includes any Topix site.

If you look at why it was called "Open" you will find that it refers to the use of DMOZ content and nothing to do with being a group of people who are hobbyists and do not divulge everything about their organisation in public.

But I say again to anyone else who reads you old chestnut content posts that you undermine your arguments and show your real problem when you tell us that your site has not been listed. Sour grapes is a very sad sight.

Anonymously, Jun 6, 2011 IP
  13. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Which is why every listing from the site breaks the rules, and there is still over 10 thousand of the listings...

who exactly added those topix listings? Human's enjoying their hobby?

Qryztufre, Jun 7, 2011 IP
  14. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    The DMOZ is different from other directories in many ways:

1) There is no owner who gives a damn about it. it is just a left over from Internet bubble time in a big organization that nobody cares about.
    2) Because it belonged to a big organization, Google decided to use it in the beginning and because of importance of Google some people noticed the possibility of making money by selling listing.
    3) This has made the directorcorruptpt to the core and actual internal o it is very similar to organized crime where different gangs go in turf war and trade favors about different categories. Obviously the most desirable turfs are shopping, pharmacy, gambling and adults.

gworld, Jun 13, 2011 IP
  15. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    You could come back as an editor and lead the field re moving them...oops.

On the other hand you can enjoy going through and flagging any that don't meet guidelines and an editor will check to see if you are correct. But if you can't be bothered to spend your spare time doing that stop bleating when others don't spend their spare time sorting out your complaints about Topix. It may be your priority to complain, but obviously not an editors to respond, well we will when you bother to do anything. Ball in your court.

Anonymously, Jun 13, 2011 IP
  16. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Sorry, ball still in your court! You have the permissions to edit those listings, you know how many there are, and yet you can do nothing but tell me to waste my time to report them all.

Finding them is simple, just put in TOPIX in the search and BAM, they are all right there, ready to be dealt with.

Though I guess I understand how you have no real desire to actually do anything of the sort, you are a collector, and gods forbid any of the collection get removed.

Seriously, why should ANYONE have to run through an report them, that is CLEARLY a HUGE waste of time on everyone's part. The list is there, it's well known, and yet little to nothing is done about it, other then your bleating that it's somebody else's problem.

Ball is, and forever will be, in the court of the ODP editors in this matter.

Qryztufre, Jun 13, 2011 IP
  17. mashedpotatohead

mashedpotatohead Peon

Best Answers:
    I know that it has greater recognition amongst marketers.

mashedpotatohead, Jun 13, 2011 IP
  18. dungeon_keeper

dungeon_keeper Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    haha +1 :)

dungeon_keeper, Jun 14, 2011 IP
  19. jaxrobinson

jaxrobinson Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes i would also like to tell you that dmoz is the best directory till date.You can get backlinks from this site.After submitting it in dmoz,you site would get automatically linked to 1000's of directories.

jaxrobinson, Jun 15, 2011 IP
  20. Cristi-

Cristi- Member

Best Answers:
    thx Qryztufre i had overevaluated DMOZ until now

Cristi-, Jun 19, 2011 IP