1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Which forum should I buy?

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by vinesh9, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    If you are not on a budget, then wouldn't IPB be better, lol. For ALL it has to offer, it certainly beats what vB has.

Qryztufre, May 12, 2011 IP
  2. Bahman

Bahman Member

Best Answers:
    as my friends told you , VB is the best. It is kinda expensive but it's totally worth.

Bahman, May 23, 2011 IP
  3. Googl

Googl Active Member

Best Answers:
    Another vote for Vbulletin. Go for phpBB if you have a lot of time to handle spam! phpBB is just a baby against Vbulletin

Googl, May 23, 2011 IP
  4. -Aw-

-Aw- Active Member

Best Answers:
    http://gracelaw.com/XenForo.html

vBulletin doesn't have anything out-of-the-box to deal with spam. IPB does (they have their own proprietary system that works very well) and XenForo sort of does (they just have a tool that bans the user and deletes its posts in one click).

Actually, vBulletin users have been hit pretty hard lately, especially when the influx came in January.

-Aw-, May 23, 2011 IP
    Qryztufre likes this.
  5. Googl

Googl Active Member

Best Answers:
    You sound like you've not used Vbulletin by that last line on your first sentence to my reply. And Vbulletin is by fact the best forum CMS at the moment even XenForo can't compare yet.

Last edited: May 23, 2011
    Googl, May 23, 2011 IP
  6. -Aw-

-Aw- Active Member

Best Answers:
    Not really. I personally would much rather use IP.Board and IP.Content (great CMS, by the way) over vBulletin 4's publishing suite. Additionally, I don't need a CMS in the first place. vBulletin 4 has been buggy and slow ever since Internet Brands took over, and the people who made vBulletin the well-known brand name it is (Kier Darby/Mike Sullivan) now develops XenForo.

And no, I have used vBulletin (I had a license back in the 3.7 days and I demoed 4.1.2 while using it as a gateway converter). At this point, I don't even trust Internet Brands as a company anymore and I don't know if I will. Sounds just as much as you have not used anything other than vBulletin.

-Aw-, May 24, 2011 IP
  7. Googl

Googl Active Member

Best Answers:
    Probably just can't afford a Vbulletin license. Or probably just heard that the original developer of Vbulletin is now developing XenForo and just enthusiastically thought XenForo was the best. As for the buggy and slowness this is not a reason for Vbulletin not being the best not from a developer perspective.

Googl, May 24, 2011 IP
  8. -Aw-

-Aw- Active Member

Best Answers:
    I technically could, but why would I? I have a XenForo already, and I don't need to pay for another license (this includes all forum software) cause at the moment, what would I use it for? I also could be using something like MyBB, and I'm more than happy doing that. Why should I pay $195 for a vBulletin forum license when it doesn't even come with ticket support, I could get IPB for $150 or XenForo for $140 or even a used vBulletin for much less? Why should I get a publishing suite? I don't really need the blog, let alone the CMS.

There's also other reasons why I wouldn't use vBulletin, such as their Admin CP, which is rather a mess and out-of-date (especially after using the Admin CP of IPB, MyBB, XenForo, and even both SMF and phpBB). I actually never really got good ticket support from them either, whereas when I asked IPB for help, they fixed everything for me before replying and explained what was wrong. XenForo's ticket support isn't that bad either, but the resolution there was to ask my host to disable mod_security.

Also, don't assume things, especially when everything so far you assumed about me was false. I'd like to see if you actually used something else.

-Aw-, May 24, 2011 IP
  9. Bart Simpson

Bart Simpson Peon

Best Answers:
    vBulletin is a 100% MUST NEED if you want to run a forum. :D

Bart Simpson, May 24, 2011 IP
  10. Clive

Clive Web Developer

Best Answers:
    Don't look that far without putting down a list of things that make IPB better than vBulletin,
    even if it's just a matter of copying and pasting it from other sources.

Clive, May 27, 2011 IP
  11. Adeel Sami

Adeel Sami Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you are spending money for your board, go with vBulletin.

Adeel Sami, May 28, 2011 IP
  12. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    It really falls down to a matter of opinion, as most of the features both offer are comparable. However, the opinions in this thread are most certainly biased based on the fact it's posted in the vB forum rather then in the forums forum in general.

Though, I do suspect that IPB is less buggy and a bit faster, based on my own experience with Internet Brands' buy out of Jelsoft, and the fact that it's 4.0 release was VERY slow out of the box, and is still very bug riddled. I simply do not see the complaints on the IPB forums that I see on the vB forums.

So, speed & bugs.

Does the list need to be any longer then that?

Though, if a longer list is needed... add price & admin panel to it.
    Why IP.Board is better than vBulletin

Qryztufre, Jun 1, 2011 IP
  13. Googl

Googl Active Member

Best Answers:
    The mire fact that someone creates a post or thread about why you should choose "IPB (IP.Board) over vBulletin" shows how much power Vbulletin has. Price says it all, hundreds of free developed available mods shows how extensively used. It will always be because of "speed" or "bugs" for not choosing Vbulletin but this only shows how much advanced the coded system is and the number of available features. And in most cases these bugs only raise because of overloading the forum with lots of different plugins.

Googl, Jun 1, 2011 IP
  14. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    There are similar threads on why one should choose vB over IP. So, erm, go figure?

Out of the box there were many complains of speed issues & bugs, so plugins have little to nothing to do with it. Yeah, a crap load of plug ins will effect things, but that goes for any platform.

Qryztufre, Jun 2, 2011 IP
    -Aw- likes this.
  15. OttoBomb

OttoBomb Peon

Best Answers:
    +1 to this. People who are still on the vBulletin bandwagon haven't run into the clusterf**king that Internet Brands is doing to their product. I own several vB, and for the first time I'm not going with them on my next forum. I don't even know what I want to use yet, it's just not going to be vB.

vB under Jelesoft = Gold
    vB under Internet Brands = Sh!t

OttoBomb, Jun 6, 2011 IP
  16. lmgc

lmgc Peon

Best Answers:
    IPBorad become seriously a big chalenger of vbulletin, with the content and nexus apps you can made a great business forum ! they made more regular updates then vbulletin

i have a vbulletin forum and i am thinking to convert to IPBoard ..

lmgc, Jun 15, 2011 IP
    Qryztufre likes this.
  17. poly1

poly1 Peon

Best Answers:
    I own a Suite license, and I would disagree with this strongly. vBulletin as forum software is pretty good, but their Blog and CMS products are plain awful out of the box. They look ugly as sin, lack basic functionality and require a substantial investment of time and even money, in the form of customization, to make them anywhere near as functional as vb forum software. That investment isn't worth your time, and you shouldn't have to make it; for $280, you deserve more.The Mobile Suite I have not personally used however most/all reviews of it I've read have been equally terrible. The bottom line is it's not worth your money. There are third-party products that do a much better job than vBulletin. If you want a CMS frontend, get vbAdvanced, if you want blog functionality for God's sake use Wordpress.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
    poly1, Jun 29, 2011 IP
  18. mcloud

mcloud Member

Best Answers:
    thumb for vbulletin

mcloud, Sep 3, 2011 IP