1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How i update my Dmoz listing

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by vinodsharma, May 23, 2011.

I have purchase purchase premiun domain ( cerenew.com )listed in Dmoz, i wand update my site in dmoz, suggest me how ?

vinodsharma, May 23, 2011 IP
  2. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    cerenew.com isn't listed in DMOZ. It shows up in our search (which lags reality) but it's not currently listed in any category AFAICT.

I hope you didn't pay a premium for it. A repurposed domain name shouldn't inherit a DMOZ listing anyway.

jimnoble, May 23, 2011 IP
  3. vinodsharma

vinodsharma Guest

Best Answers:
    Hi jim

this is listed in google directory, both are different but both connect each other, Jim u have any idea how i update listing....

vinodsharma, May 24, 2011 IP
  4. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I believe that he said, that the domain you mentioned is NOT in DMOZ, as far as we can tell.

So how can you update something when the site isnt in there to start with?

snooks, May 24, 2011 IP
  5. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Google's copy of our directory is usually out of date - sometimes by as much as a year. They take our data dump whenever they feel like doing so and we have no control over that.

Just visit the category where you believe your website should now be listed and use the link at the top of the page to suggest it. Some volunteer will process your listing suggestion in time but we can't predict who or when that might be. Elapsed times can range from a few days to a few years. There is no need to re-suggest your website and doing so could be counter-productive because a later suggestion overwrites any earlier one.

jimnoble, May 24, 2011 IP
  6. Agent000

Agent000 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    If you purchased it because it had a "DMOZ" listing, then you were scammed.

Agent000, May 25, 2011 IP
  7. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Indeed he was, because when it comes to site sales, its shoot first & ask questions later! Dmoz editors would rather remove a site they see listed for sale, then give the new owners a chance, which in many cases is kinda strange, because they are removing sites that either wont change, or change for the better in most cases, all the while sites that have died still site in the categories they just edited.

My advice to the original poster though, "RESUBMIT" as now that ya said the domain name, it's no longer listed... though from reading the thread, another editor already saw it for sale & beat you posting it here to the punch.

Though from looking at the site, updating the listing would require a change in category anyway, so no biggy... just "resubmit" as I already suggested.

Qryztufre, May 25, 2011 IP
  8. Agent000

Agent000 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You see a lot of "sites" and "domains" for sale on Flippa and other places with a "DMOZ Listing" ... however when you check its not listed in the DMOZ category (it might still be in DMOZ search, which is only updated every few weeks and it might still be in the Google Directory, but its only a matter of time before its gone from there). The seller is either naive and does not realize or is just hopping potentially buyers do not notice.

In the OP's case, the site he has built is totally different from the previous one, so its not a matter of "updating the listing"; its going to have to be suggested like any other site. As it now looks like its a "lead generator" type site, there is a high probability that it will not be listed.

Agent000, May 25, 2011 IP
  9. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Not true, Q. You did not stay long enough to know what happens, obviously.

Our bots will pick up many of these sites and throw them into the review area, so they are not visible, but not lost. So an editor will review the site and make decisions based on what is there. That will take as long, or perhaps even longer than a normal review. In the old days, such sites would have been marked and left in the directory and editors skidded around to try and see why an error had been posted, but all that changed some years ago and now they are removed from public view and dealt with when an editor volunteers to work in that section and chooses to check out the sites that have been removed from sight through one error or another.

But it is a general serious mistake to buy a site, change content and believe that it has a right to be in the directory, as though a listing bought some sort of lease in DMOZ. Guidelines clearly state that no site is guaranteed a listing even once it has been listed. If only people read around a little before spending their money. Still it is an old adage
    "A fool and their money are soon parted"

Anonymously, May 26, 2011 IP
  10. yogesh.ingress

yogesh.ingress Peon

Best Answers:
    you should again submit your link directory

yogesh.ingress, May 26, 2011 IP
  11. yogesh.ingress

yogesh.ingress Peon

Best Answers:
    You should again submit your link in directory it's updated aoutomaticaly

yogesh.ingress, May 26, 2011 IP
  12. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Obviously...

So what you are saying is they are not removed at all, but rather sent back to the queue to await another review which can take years to infinity.

So, erm, how is that any different then what I said?

besides, I call them like I see them, and in most cases, everyone but editors see it the same way. It would help if the ODP were actually a bit more OPEN as the name implies.

Qryztufre, May 26, 2011 IP
  13. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    How much more open , than telling you what you did not stay long enough to find out. What you said was that the new site was not given any chance, it is if the site has been changed by the time an editor visits on review then if it meets guidelines it will be listed or sent to the correct category. You implied that sites were simply deleted, they are not, and why should a completely different site be treated any differently from a new suggestion, given some sort of pririty over another suggested site, just because under a quite different banner they have been listed. I think you will have new suggesters feeling they are being pushed back if you do anything of that. Not thought through as usual is your idea. Another guise to try and knock the directory.

~giriyoge
    Why would you tell someone to do something that could put the site at a disadvantage or even get it banned forever. Have you read the guidelines, have you read the warnings that multiple submissions of a url can be treated as spam and banned? Before offering advice I would suggest you check out if you are helping or hindering the person you address the advice at.

Anonymously, May 26, 2011 IP
  14. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    What are you talking about? That has NOTHING to do with this conversation & you know it.

I said REMOVE, and if I remember correctly, to the ODP that means that it is moved, not deleted. Or are you changing the meaning back to what it was? You are really being confusing here.

Remember the ADD page says a site submitted to the wrong category will be removed, and you say that does NOT mean deleted. So if I am going to use the same terminology that you do, it would be nice if you kept to one meaning of the term or the other.

So, if saying removed implies DELETED, then, erm, your other posts are wrong about submitting to the wrong category.

Again, you can't have it both ways...

Sorry, I don't need to knock the directory, you do a fine job at it yourself without needing help from me.

Qryztufre, May 27, 2011 IP