1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

The secret to my success

Discussion in 'Publisher Network' started by slava, Oct 22, 2006.

1. karagold

karagold Peon

Best Answers:
    legalities have little to do with this post or what he is doing, besides the fact that there is no law regarding whether a person can or cannot drive up the price of ppc bids. there is no federal commission monitoring and tracking ppc searches (at least i dont know about it). its all about ethics and how they are perceived. personally, more power to him, though i never thought to do this, nor do i have an interest in trying to make it work for me. too many other things to worry about than trying to get my advertisers to increase their bids.

but i guess i would be pissed if i were 1 of those advertisers and i figured out what was going on.

karagold, Oct 22, 2006 IP
  2. slava

slava Peon

Best Answers:
    Your thinking about insider trading, for example if you know your company is going bankrupt in 2 days to sell your stock, theres nothign wrong with the owner of a company to own its own stock. Bill Gates owns about a third of Microsoft's stock. He could sell some of it or buy some of it.

slava, Oct 22, 2006 IP
  3. Tearabite

Tearabite Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Doesn't sound ethical to me - but wtf do i know..
    The trouble with selling an ebook about your success is that nobody will know/believe you're successful at all unless you're willing to post about your website - Trust me I KNOW (see the link in my signature for the beating i took)..
    around here, all we have is your DP reputation..
    BTW, how successful are you?

Tearabite, Oct 22, 2006 IP
  4. Hon Daddy Dad

Hon Daddy Dad Peon

Best Answers:
    This is definitely blackhat, but I think he's only speeding up the inevitable.

Over the long term PPC prices will continue to rise. Think of all of the businesses that haven't cottoned on to PPC yet.

There's even whole industries that are not using PPC properly.

Hon Daddy Dad, Oct 22, 2006 IP
  5. slava

slava Peon

Best Answers:
    I thought about selling the ebook hard, but then I did notice there quite a few out there already, most are scams, the ones that arent have a hard tiem marketing cause fo all the scam ones out there, also half of them are just copies of the other half.

I decided to share something that helped me out with others because I wanted to help them out, not because I wanted to profit or had any personal interest in this, at same time I didn't divulge complete details in order to ruin my success. Only a complete idiot would give away full disclosure of how they make money because then someone else will do it and the guru would go broke.

I didn't start this thread to brag, believe it or not it was out of the goodness of my heart, thats why I didn't post how much money I earn. I live a very confortable lifestyle in the US my full time job is on the internet. I make a majority of my income from Adsense/YPN, and recently have began investing in domains. Domain investments are bringing me an average of 8% growth in value monthly. I earned me wealth with Adsense/YPN and am expanding it with the domain market.

If you noticed I never asked for donations, or recommended you to click any affiliate links. I merely told you what I do to earn more money.

If you have a question, I'd be happy to answer it for you as long as it doesent relate to the specific micros niches I target. If you liked what you read and just want to say thanks I'd appreciate that too. But if your just going to post that this is unethical and will bring the end of the world as we know it because Dell is shelling out an extra $100/month (Thats an actual example of one of the advertisers that I make money from) then please keep your thoughts to yourself. I'm not taking advantage of anyone by trying to scam them into spending money, I am just sharing what has made me successful, if you disagree then you can go ahead and find a different way to make yourself successful.

Several people have posted that my idea was unethical, and 3 people have given me red reputation because of it. Apparently they don't udnerstand what ethics is. Laws govern people in their entirety. Ethics govern people on an individual basis. You may think what I do is unethical, but I think I am well within the guidelines of ethics in my actions. Others may believe that posting an image next to an ad is ethical, where I think it is not. If my idea is not up to your standards of ethics then don't try it, I'm not forcing this onto anyone.

I decided to share this information with everyone for your benefit not my own and I'm already regretting it because of all the negative feedback I'm getting. Forums are places to share knowledge and its the Scruges of the forum, that discourage people like me from sharing.

slava, Oct 22, 2006 IP
  6. Tearabite

Tearabite Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    It was not my intention to be critical - I was on the fence as to whether your method was a good idea or not - and, notice in my post that i prefaced it with "WTF do i know" - meaning, i dont really know enough to be making a comment anyway. (i hope this doesn't make me a scruge!)

You are correct though - forums are places to share knowledge and the scruges do discourge people from sharing (i know, from my beating a few weeks ago).. Dont worry - the bruises heal quickly.. :rolleyes:

Tearabite, Oct 22, 2006 IP
    slava likes this.
  7. slava

slava Peon

Best Answers:
    I should have seperated the post a bit more I quoted you only for the response about my decision not to sell, i wasent inferring you to be one of the Scruges. Trust me compared to some PM's and rep comments I got your opinion was very mildly put.

slava, Oct 22, 2006 IP
  8. guk6kk

guk6kk Peon

Best Answers:
    very clever.

guk6kk, Oct 22, 2006 IP
    slava likes this.
  9. Hon Daddy Dad

Hon Daddy Dad Peon

Best Answers:
    Personally I think ethics in these situations are overrated. Its not like he's selling crystal meth down at the school yard... or promoting gambling sites :D.

I however wouldn't do this myself because I have my own adword campaigns and I fear some sort of karmic retribution. (What goes around comes around.)

Hon Daddy Dad, Oct 22, 2006 IP
  10. DirtyDog

DirtyDog Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    IMO, if the competitors are willing to bid up that high to be number one, then so be it. They could always be content for 2 and 3, but they make their choices.

DirtyDog, Oct 22, 2006 IP
  11. www.AmCy.org

www.AmCy.org American CyberSpace®

Best Answers:
    It is shill bidding. You are manipulating a market by making bids that are meaningless and unnatural. Your clicks are part of your own unique shill bidding process. But it's still shill bidding.

And, yes: you are hurting the system, because you are causing unnatural inflation in a market. If the advertisers find out, they may retaliate by opting out of YPN altogether. Even big corporations don't like to get cheated.

Are you starting Word War III? No. But, is it wrong? Of course it is! And everyone here knows it.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not judging you, just adding my opinion. I'm actually very glad you posted here about this, because I'm always interested in knowing what's really going on out there in the world of PPC.

But I don't think you should kid yourself by believing that you aren't causing any harm.

As always, IMO.

www.AmCy.org, Oct 23, 2006 IP
  12. andy11

andy11 Peon

Best Answers:
    thnx for the free ingenious info slava!

To me it sounds like like ebay's reserve amount and it is a good way of pricing your inventory.

kudos :)

andy11, Oct 23, 2006 IP
  13. slava

slava Peon

Best Answers:
    I couldent have said it better myself, they raise their bids by their own choice, if they were not willing to spend so much then they could have kept bids low.

slava, Oct 23, 2006 IP
  14. www.AmCy.org

Best Answers:
    That's sophistry. It's still shill bidding. Yep.

15. digiseek

digiseek Peon

Best Answers:
    Well your way is hard to achieve if not impossible. It is tough to find the keyword with min advertisers also this still won't be useful for most noob's here

digiseek, Oct 23, 2006 IP
  16. slava

slava Peon

Best Answers:
    Look for misspellings of common products. People misspell stuff when searching all the time.

slava, Oct 23, 2006 IP
  17. kkibak

kkibak Peon

Best Answers:
    i dont see anything really wrong with it--although id never do it myself simply because i would be concerned w/TOS issues, etc.

still, if you think of it the other way around, those two advertisers could be the 'evil bullies' taking advantage of this niche content site and paying him much less than he deserves

kkibak, Oct 23, 2006 IP
  18. www.AmCy.org

Best Answers:
    "Deserves?" The free market determines what he deserves.

If you want to make more money, then:

1) buy some books on a lucrative, niche topic

2) Read up.

3) Create a high quality content site about it.

19. kkibak

kkibak Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh my god, what a ridiculous thing for you to say.

Since you believe the free market determines what he deserves (and, for the record, I share this belief) how could you possible criticize him for participating in that FREE MARKET by making an advertiser account?

Judging by your completely generic, regurgitated 3 steps to success, you didn't think very carefully before posting.

If they were meaningless and unnatural, they wouldn't exist. The have a meaning, and they are a natural corollary to a FREE market.

Okay, I'm now bracing myself for a reply that includes as many instances of the phrase "shill bidding" as you can type.

kkibak, Oct 23, 2006 IP
  20. www.AmCy.org

Best Answers:
    Regurgitated? Not sure what u mean.

I was commenting about making fake bids to increase PPC earnings. Isn't that what this thread is really about?