1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Cloud Domain Names Thread - A new boost for the domain industry?

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by WSynd, May 14, 2011.

I believe, as many have suggested in the 3d discussion, that the new 'cloud' trend warrants its own thread, so here it is (I'm not aware of any other thread dedicated solely to this subject, if there are disregard that last sentence). As other related discussions, this is merely speculative, but an interesting topic nonetheless.

Recently we have watched iCloud .com being sold to Apple, for an impressive (yet unconfirmed) sum of $4.5 million. As a result, XCerion, the previous owners, renamed their service to CloudMe.

Why is this relevant for each one of us? Well, barely was this news in print, and the domain industry saw a rush for cloud-related domains, with domainers registering numerous variations to add to those already around.

At this point, it can either be a passing trend triggered by Apple's big pockets, or something to last for a while (bringing great benefits to quick and imaginative domainers).

So, what cloud domains do you own? Have you made any sales yet, that could serve as a general indicator? Is it worth exploring?

I'd like to hear your thoughts on this.

WSynd, May 14, 2011 IP
  2. Zorlock

Zorlock Member

Best Answers:
    I guess I will post my cloud domains here to see what you think.

CloudScrapes.com
    CloudIndexing.com

Cloud may become an important part of our lives. Think about this, the new Google laptop just launched "ChromeBook" has no hard drive. This means its 100% dependent on storage in the cloud even for its OS (operating system). I know that is a little out of the box thinking but the start up time is a matter of seconds (like less then 6 seconds). Its entirely possible that the future of storage is in the cloud and that means that premium cloud domain names could be worth some change in the not so distant future.

Cheers

Zorlock, May 14, 2011 IP
  3. gilescoley

gilescoley Active Member

Best Answers:
    I got these 3

CloudPros.com
    CloudLand.com
    CloudPlans.com

Also recently sold CloudCo.com for $7,000 (private sale)

gilescoley, May 14, 2011 IP
  4. Zorlock

Zorlock Member

Best Answers:
    Nice sale.
    I like CloudPlans and CloudPros. Nice names.

Cheers

Zorlock, May 14, 2011 IP
  5. WSynd

WSynd Peon

Best Answers:
    A very nice sale, gilescoley, thanks for sharing. The domain name was excellent!

CloudIndexing and CloudPros both sound to me like they have potential. I agree with interpretation of the ChromeBook... I'm sure we'll see a lot of changes in the near future. And it won't be a hard concept to sell, for the end-user it will mean a reduction of costs, for starters. Hardware providers may be in trouble, though.

I don't own any cloud domain (yet), still looking around. Meanwhile, a quick search already shows a saturation of everything that is even remotely connected to cloud computing. Kinda gives the feeling of having arrived late for the party :)

WSynd, May 15, 2011 IP
  6. gilescoley

gilescoley Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks Wsynd

Yeah, I have been buying/selling cloud names for around 2 years now, the market is just starting to really ripen in the last 6 months or so and it will only get better. It is pretty late to start getting involved, but there are still bargains around if you spend hours looking and emailing the existing owners. Dont waste your time trying to hand-reg any names, anything you find now is just not worth registering. Just ask yourself "why is it still available?"

Good luck

gilescoley, May 15, 2011 IP
  7. Connan009

Connan009 Peon

Best Answers:
    very nice domains

Connan009, May 17, 2011 IP
  8. mrcurly

mrcurly Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have

Cloudifornia.Com
    CloudCrystal.Com
    CloudQwerty.Com
    CloudHeadquarters.Com

........Its a start!!!!

mrcurly, May 17, 2011 IP
  9. absulute00

absulute00 Peon

Best Answers:
    Sup guys, nice names. We may or may not be the guy your taking about (The post about having a ridiculous amount of domains)

Anyhow, we've talked to some people at fairly big names (I don't want to say the name of the companies for fear it might mess up their strategy) about providing them with these free air-sheets. However, we've also talked to multiple local companies that think if it is given enough time the| cloud(something).me |project could become very powerful if enough joined. What's yall's opinion?

absulute00, May 17, 2011 IP
  10. gilescoley

gilescoley Active Member

Best Answers:
    It looks like Amazon has bought Cloud.co

Always big news when a big name likes that grabs a cloud name, especially after the recent iCloud.com purchase by Apple

Amazon also bought from the A.co, Z.co and K.co from the .co registry

I wonder how much was exchanged in this deal??

gilescoley, May 18, 2011 IP
  11. gilescoley

gilescoley Active Member

Best Answers:
    Can you explain this a bit more, not quite understanding the concept..thanks

12. Zorlock

Zorlock Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with Giles, Your statement is kind of vague.
    So are you looking to start a site about Cloud (something) (Dot) ME?
    What is the site purposed to be doing?

Cheers

Zorlock, May 18, 2011 IP
  13. gilescoley

gilescoley Active Member

Best Answers:
    Sedo Sales

CloudMeter.com $5,000
    CloudUK.com $2,013
    PropertyCloud.com $2,000

14. Zorlock

Zorlock Member

Best Answers:
    Cloud Meter?
    I am a little confused about that name. Why would that have a handsome sale numbers?
    Maybe I am missing something.

Cheers

Never mind... just looked it up.
    Seems like a so so kind of name to me. Surly Cloud Pros is a much better name.

Just my opinion.
    Cheers

Zorlock, May 18, 2011 IP
  15. WSynd

WSynd Peon

Best Answers:
    @gilescoley: Nice one, was just reading about Amazon's purchase of Cloud.co. Must have gone for a lot of figures as well. Had it happened a few days/weeks earlier, and maybe you could have gotten one more zero out of your own private sale!

I'd say there's a good chance CloudUK.com may have gone for a low price.

WSynd, May 19, 2011 IP
  16. gilescoley

gilescoley Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, part of me wishes I has held it now, oh well, a sale is a sale..

$2000 for CloudUK.com is cheap imo

Had a low x,xxx offer on CloudPros.com, but I am going to be patient with that one.

gilescoley, May 19, 2011 IP
  17. Zorlock

Zorlock Member

Best Answers:
    Where are you keeping these names that you get the exposure for offers?
    I am not attempting to sell any of mine yet... just that you had two rapid offers on domains just purchased.

I am just wondering.
    Cheers

Zorlock, May 19, 2011 IP
  18. gilescoley

gilescoley Active Member

Best Answers:
    They are parked at Sedo mainly, but I also list them at other places, afternic, Godaddy etc

The way I get offers, and this is the only way unless you have super-premium names or are extremely patient, is to actively seek out end-users. I email end-users probably every day of the week for different names, maybe just 2 or 3 times a week when I am lazy lol

Depending on the name and the end-user (need to research the end-user as well), I will approach the end-user with either a set price for the domain or a "make an offer" email.

It takes a lot of research and names wont just sell themselves, you have to go and find the buyers.

Good luck

19. Zorlock

Zorlock Member

Best Answers:
    Hmmm...
    Let me preface this by stating that I am by no means a domainer. I make my money in other projects but I enjoy websites and domains as a whole and have been working with them for a few years... but lets call it a hobby for the sake of discussion.

End user emails, sounds good in theory but I am going to assume that there is a lot of work that goes into end user research?
    Is there a certain template (I know its not a once size fits all...) or better said a format that you use when making the emails?

I appreciate your input.
    Cheers

Zorlock, May 19, 2011 IP
  20. gilescoley

gilescoley Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, it takes a little work, but the rewards you get for such a small amount of work are worth it.

It started as a hobby for me and then I realised how much money can be made from if you put in an hour or two each day and now I do it all the time...and most of the work is done during my day-job anyway lol

As long as you can use Google and get some list of potential buyers, then thats the hard part done, getting the WHOIS info and sending off your pre-drafted email is the easy part.

There is an 80-odd page thread at NP called "How to Find Potential End Users?", it has all the info you would need and some great templates, suggestions, ideas etc..from people who do this all the time