1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google Sets Aside $500 mn For Justice Department Probe

Discussion in 'Google' started by anandsoft, May 11, 2011.

Google, recently in news every day for one or the other (wrong reasons), has set aside $500 mn for costs towards a probe being initiated by the US Justice department. The department intends to do a thorough investigation whether Google is driving up prices of its Ad system by manipulating its Search results and incorporating other tweaks.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/04/05/google-ftc-idUSN0512618120110405
    http://in.reuters.com/article/2011/05/11/idINIndia-56927720110511
    http://www.pe.com/business/local/stories/PE_Biz_D_google12.31191db.html
    http://www.webmasterworld.com/goog/4310664.htm

Comments from DP members?

anandsoft, May 11, 2011 IP
  2. bogs

bogs Active Member

Best Answers:
    if this one true.. they can't caught or catch.. they run the system so its going to be tough..

bogs, May 11, 2011 IP
  3. lakelandprinting

lakelandprinting Peon

Best Answers:
    everyone has their eyes open wide for every move Google makes, most of it is just jealousy. You can believe that people are trying to prove them doing something wrong. I personally think they are an ethical company, and they wouldn't do something silly like this.

lakelandprinting, May 12, 2011 IP
  4. linkdropper4

linkdropper4 Member

Best Answers:
    A book just came out about Google and how evil they are... can't remember the name. I've always liked Google, not sure why, I guess I just don't have a problem with how they operate YET. The thing is seriously if you could move people down in search results and show them to millions and if by doing so your revenue would go up wouldn't you do it? I bet they do this.

linkdropper4, May 12, 2011 IP
  5. anandsoft

anandsoft Guest

Best Answers:
    lnkdropper4: yes, companies may tend to do this in the absence of any check by appropriate authorities. That is why the department wants to do the probe. The very fact that Google is setting aside such a huge amount makes the common man to doubt that Google is gaming the system. If Google is ethical and transparent (doing what they say), why should they set aside such a huge amount to cover the costs of probe by a government authority?

anandsoft, May 12, 2011 IP
  6. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Because those authorities are lawyers so you have to arm yourself with lawyers to protect yourself from saying the wrong thing, giving information you don't have to, protecting information they don't need, and do it within the law. If the police pick you up even though you've done nothing wrong, wouldn't you want to hire a lawyer to help you get through the process?

drhowarddrfine, May 12, 2011 IP
  7. Danny0109

Danny0109 Peon

Best Answers:
    500mn is a lot for lawyers and other legal support, if you are innocent.
    Google has long ago abandoned their slogan "don't be evil". So I wouldn't be surprised if they get caught.

Danny0109, May 12, 2011 IP
  8. anandsoft

anandsoft Guest

Best Answers:
    anandsoft, May 20, 2011 IP