1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I was offered $250 for this domain? What should I do?

Discussion in 'Appraisals' started by PH111, May 3, 2011.

This morning I had someone contact me about a domain of mine. Ironically it was one that I accidentally left my personal email address for contact info. Time to check spam accounts asap! :)

He asked me if I was interested in selling it. I asked him how much. He responded back the same day and asked if $250 was okay. He seems legit so far.

Two questions...
    1. If I ask for $300 is there a big risk I could loose the sale completely or would he most likely just say no? The offer is probably already much higher than it's worth.
    2. Since it's not a high sale and hopefully he's not on here reading this... haha... would I best just sell in on ebay or should I still go through Sedo or something. Maybe with Sedo I could find someone willing to buy it even higher.

Just in case Google indexes this page I'll try to disguise the domain a bit. I don't want this thread coming up in search results when someone googles the name. It's happened to another domain of mine that I use for a business.

The domain is (change the Z to an F for the actual domain) zashionzuel and it ends with com.

thanks!
    ph111

PH111, May 3, 2011 IP
  2. PH111

PH111 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Oh, I've only paid the reg fee for it a year ago. I haven't done much with it at all. I only included an online store of some clothing items I was going to sell, but never got around to marketing it. It's a page rank 0.

PH111, May 3, 2011 IP
  3. d3wlin

d3wlin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think you can easily get higher. Thank him for the current offer and say that you were expecting a bit more for it.

d3wlin, May 3, 2011 IP
  4. ekscalibur

ekscalibur Active Member

Best Answers:
    i would take the $250,
    net,org,info are free to reg,almoust no exact search for this term,
    IMO i would take this amount

ekscalibur, May 3, 2011 IP
  5. meltinzone

meltinzone Member

Best Answers:
    He asked if it $250 was ok. Therefore he's got more up his sleeve. I'd expect if the site isn't touched, then it's more advantagous to him and therefore I'd be aiming to settle for $400. Awesome domain name btw. These gems are great earners. Remember if he's in fashion, then they have more money up their sleeve to burn.
    I personally would do EXACTLY as
    said. You could even say you were expecting more like $450-$500, though if you price it too low you lose potential money, though if you said you were expecting around $1000 or *lie* and said you had another offer at $750 and what's the highest he's willing to go, then you'd potentially get an offer of around $800. Just personal experience, though it depends what you've already said to him.
    My first time I was excited and taken advantage of, and no I odn't mean in the bedroom ;p ahahaha, so just don't become 'best email friends' rather business like and you'll do well for yourself.

Good luck and keep us updated!

meltinzone, May 3, 2011 IP
    d3wlin likes this.
  6. PH111

PH111 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Great replies. The funny thing is I originally got it because a friend and I were going to sell clothes over seas together. I later found out she likes to talk and is lazier than I realized. I didn't want to do all the work because I have other stuff I do. I ALMOST was going to just let it drop. Good thing I got this email. :)

I haven't replied to him yet. I'll wait a few more hours and see if any more replies come in.

If we a agree on a price, say $400, would it be best I sell it on ebay and send him the link? I'm worried if I just accept his money through paypal and push the domain to him without an auction, there might be more tricks he could pull to get his money back and keep the domain.

PH111, May 3, 2011 IP
  7. PH111

PH111 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I did a google search with the two words in the domain. I've seen a lot of people using my domain name as a login name for blogs and stuff. I found this domain through domaintools.com last year. It might actually be a term in the fashion world.

I found two different (probably small) businesses that include these words in their name too. I should contact them to see if their interested too.

gurgaononcall[dot com]/showDetails.aspx?ID=128588&name=Fashion%20Fuel

manta[dot com]/c/mmc9rmx/renu-s-fashion-fuel

PH111, May 3, 2011 IP
  8. meltinzone

meltinzone Member

Best Answers:
    Yes you should contact them, see wht they'd pay you for it. Best way to get it 'appraised'.

As for your issue fo him stealing your money. Sure you could use ebay, but then there's fees and what not.
    I personally would use an independant escrow service, much like ebay does.
    If you browse others that sell domains this is usually the path taken. Something like Moneybookers should do the trick.

Hope this helps you a bit more mate.

meltinzone, May 3, 2011 IP
  9. MarketingRadiation

MarketingRadiation Peon

Best Answers:
    Here are my business cents:

1. If you ask for $300, it clearly indicates that you are looking for some more but not sure if your domain is worth.
    2. When a buyer offers for something, he always keeps the room for negotiation.

So my advise [should work], as for $450. And then negotiate it will $350. I am sure that will work out.

MarketingRadiation, May 3, 2011 IP
  10. PH111

PH111 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Today, he sent me another email saying that this is his first time doing this and not sure if his offer was good or not. That I should let him know. I don't want to take advantage of the guy which it looks like I could do, but at the same time...it's nice to make a nice profit. I'll offer him it for $450. I might actually get the full amount.

I wanted to list it on ebay, but since he's so new with buying domains, it might be a bad idea. Maybe he'll find other domains for next to nothing there and then he won't buy my domain. I'll ask him if he has a moneybookers account and go from there.

Last edited: May 4, 2011
    PH111, May 4, 2011 IP
  11. PH111

PH111 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I'm in the process of signing up with MoneyBookers and I see they have an escrow service for just 1% of the product's price. Very cool. I'll definitely use moneybookers in the future.

Does anyone have the business account with them? I think for now I'll just get the personal account, but hopefully they'll allow me to upgrade in the future so I can accept payments on one of my websites.

PH111, May 4, 2011 IP
  12. Generic

Generic Member

Best Answers:
    Just sell it, its a good offer given that the domain is undeveloped

Generic, May 4, 2011 IP
  13. tattoos

tattoos Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Just because he/she says its their first time, doesn't mean it is...
    I recently received an email with an offer of $500 for one of my domains... he ended up paying 4k for it. Once the domain was in his name, he emailed me to thank me and told me words could not describe how happy he was :|

Its not a bad domain and very brandable (It actually sounded 'familiar' to me when I first read your post). Searching for the term in quotes brings up quite a few results.

If your happy with $450 then go for it, but be firm.

Cheers
    James

tattoos, May 4, 2011 IP
  14. goldensun

goldensun Peon

Best Answers:
    I am not sure I would believe the whole, its my first time deal. This sounds like a line to me, to make you not haggle for the domain.

You would want to find out exactly who this is, get their full name, name of company etc, you need this anyway. It could be some middle manager in some decent sized company who has been given £X,XXX to find the right domain. It could be that they have decided this will be their main brand so he/she HAS to acquire this domain.

That being said I don't think that you will necessarily find other buyers willing to pay this amount, you could easily list it somewhere and get reg fee for it.

goldensun, May 4, 2011 IP
  15. PH111

PH111 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I have an idea how to ask for his full name and/or company without sounding like a jerk. I could offer to make him a name.com account to push him the domain, but he might prefer to make it himself. Any other ideas?

As for escrow services... Moneybookers looks like A LOT of time and paperwork. I think I'll go with escrow.com for now and use moneybookers later since they're cheaper.

PH111, May 4, 2011 IP
  16. OpenForSale.com

OpenForSale.com Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's a pretty decent domain. And the offer is good. I would probably see if I can get $350 to $500 since it sounds like he may be willing to pay more than what he offered.
    If you're afraid of scaring him off, take the money. It's a very good deal whichever way you look at it.

I don't buy his "this is my first time" line. Nobody would say that in any business transaction and appear vulnerable.

The only thing you should beware is if his next line is: "I'm not sure about the exact value. I would you like you to do an appraisal..." lol.

Good luck. Don't forget to let us know how it turns out.

OpenForSale.com, May 4, 2011 IP
  17. wptheme

wptheme Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Just say it like this
    "I am selling the domain for 1K, if you want it please let me know"

:) Willing to take the risk?

wptheme, May 4, 2011 IP
  18. thesickearth

thesickearth Active Member

Best Answers:
    i'd say dont ask for more than 350 if you want to sell it

thesickearth, May 4, 2011 IP
  19. mubashirnisar

mubashirnisar Banned

Best Answers:
    tell him
    i got an offer of 1k$,what do you say about it,if he agrees to pay then grab it,and if he refuses to pay then tell him what is your actual offer for the domain,as i think other bidder is just timepassing

mubashirnisar, May 4, 2011 IP
  20. PH111

PH111 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Call me crazy but, I just sent him another email and offered it for $500 (expecting him to try to bring it down). I talked up the domain with a bunch of SEO talk and said it was resellable because many blogs/stores use the term fashion fuel. Brandable, easy to remember, blah blah blah. I also told him that we can use escrow.com so it'll be a safe transaction. If he doesn't respond in a week, I can always give him a lower offer. Wish me luck. :)

PH111, May 4, 2011 IP