1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Selling Images

Discussion in 'General Business' started by Quozt, Aug 15, 2006.

i take my camera everywhere I go and am thinking about either opening a stock photography site or just selling a load of my images 10,000+ in a bulk zip, is there any law or advice anyone would want to give :)

(I am in no way a professional but its a hobby ;) )

Thanks

Dom

Quozt, Aug 15, 2006 IP
  2. Angelus

Angelus Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well, I would consider removing any photos where you have people because not everyone wants to be on web ;)

Another thing to consider is how many such websites already exist so...

p.l.u.r.

p.s. it is a good idea :)

Angelus, Aug 15, 2006 IP
  3. Quozt

Quozt Peon

Best Answers:
    i have no pictures with other people or where there faces are visible (im not even on any of them which is a bonus to the people buying) there mostly of landscapes, flowers, animals, houses, cars, funny signs i see.

thanks

Dom

Quozt, Aug 15, 2006 IP
  4. Angelus

Angelus Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Go ahead and do some research, then buidl up your web, let us know how much you have earned ;)

p.l.u.r.

Angelus, Aug 15, 2006 IP
  5. Quozt

Quozt Peon

Best Answers:
    thanks :), im not sure weather it will be a site or just a zip file for sale on here ;) but we will see how it goes :)

Thanks

Dom

Quozt, Aug 15, 2006 IP
  6. Google

Google Peon

Best Answers:
    people are happy with photos as long as they are free..If ever you plan to give some images, process them with photoshop or so and then proceed, because there are a hundred ways to get landscapes; but not processed ones...

Google, Aug 15, 2006 IP
  7. sketch

sketch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'd recommend testing the waters by selling your images via established sites like istockphoto.com, or even give them away on sites like sxc.hu (you can still require permission be granted even if it's free) ... that way you can see how much people are willing to pay and how many people can use your stuff.

sketch, Aug 15, 2006 IP
  8. Colbyt

Colbyt Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Price is always a factor. You might consider sorting them by subject matter and selling smaller lots to test the water.

I think you are going to need some watermarked samples to get the ball rolling. The watermark is for your protection. I would not buy without seeing unless the price was REALLY cheap.

Legally the images are yours if you took the picture. You can do anything you like with them. You can sell them for use on a single web. Unlimited use by an individual or company on their network of webs. Sell them for use in design work to be published on a site but not sold seperate from a site. Or you can sell them with resale rights.

The 4 choices I gave you above are from best to worst for you unless you charge accordingly.

If you need a place to post a few sample photos to show the group here, feel free to use my first sig link. It will only allow you to display web quality pics.

Sign up for the 7 day free account for ease of use. Message me or post here and I won't delete you at the end of the 7 days. I won't keep it up forever for free, but I have the space and BW to spare for a while.

Colbyt, Aug 15, 2006 IP
  9. Quozt

Quozt Peon

Best Answers:
    thanks for all the comments guys, im away on holiday (yeah i know checking email/pm's on holiday) and have some nice ones, when i was talking about selling them dont get me wrong im not intending a high price (im not that good!)

ill probably just open up a free stock image website and flog that.. :)

or flog the bulk of the images to someone who wants it for there free stock image website

Quozt, Aug 16, 2006 IP
  10. Google

Google Peon

Best Answers:
    ok then, probably you can do the stereotypical...put in a few photo and wait for someone to click on the adjoining Adsense ad..

Google, Aug 16, 2006 IP
  11. emuut

emuut Peon

Best Answers:
    selling images online isa great idea.. just today i was looking for a picture of a dollar billto put on my site.. if it is nice a clean pic i would be willing topay for it.. :D .. but then i got the pic for free..

emuut, Aug 16, 2006 IP
  12. hotcomputers

hotcomputers Peon

Best Answers:
    i think you can start a new good bussines.
    if you sell each image for 1 $ you can make from start a few bucks.

Or you can start a membership website
    thanks

hotcomputers, Aug 17, 2006 IP
  13. Google

Google Peon

Best Answers:
    I dont think people will buy landscapes and stuff,even if it is just $1..If you know photoshop, then try trying things on your pics, those kinds which people cant buy outside, so they shall be forced to pay..

Otherwise, it is only free pics with Adsense on the side..

I see only two sides to this business..

Google, Aug 17, 2006 IP
  14. Quozt

Quozt Peon

Best Answers:
    as i said im easy, it just an idea I had, im on holiday at the moment and have got some good pics (in my opinion) so i had the lightbulb above my head :)

Quozt, Aug 17, 2006 IP
  15. ECoverFX

ECoverFX Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Dom,

Hey, I would be interested in taking a look at your pics. I can tell you what some of us web designers really need too - is a great place to buy affordable images that we can use for whatever we want, as many times as we want.

In other words, if we want to create a postcard out of the image, or website templates, etc - I would love to have a site out there that has unlimited picture rights. I know of at least one that is in the works, and there will be more to follow - simply because some of these image houses charge fees that are way too high for starting designers to build something from.

In one design we can use as many as five images - just on one book cover or header. Sometimes only one or two images, but when using 5 or more - the expense can get rather hefty, unless you go to the cheaper image houses.

Even then you've got anywhere from $3.00 - $10.00 in one header/book cover.

I would be willing to buy the whole pack with unlimited rights like these - provided I can see a sample first, and the price is right! :)

Thanks!
    Michelle

ECoverFX, Aug 19, 2006 IP
  16. RRWH

RRWH Active Member

Best Answers:
    before you go out and do this, it is probably a good idea to sign up with one of the micro-stock sites.

If you get thru the approval process, upload say 100 or so pictures of all sorts of things across your portfolio. See how it goes.

You my be surprised and get quite a few rejections of your images. If your acceptance rate is high, then continue to upload your pictures and of course promote yourself as a photographer on these popular sites rather than starting your own site.

Take a look at dreamstime, bigstockphoto, istock just to name a few

RRWH, Aug 20, 2006 IP
  17. hybridnine

hybridnine Peon

Best Answers:
    I might go into stockphoto business too, its been a hobby I might as well earn a little coin on the side

hybridnine, Aug 20, 2006 IP
  18. xenon121

xenon121 Active Member

Best Answers:
    bigstockphoto.com/ shutterstock.com/dreamstime.com these can help you earn some extra money. hope it works for you. best of luck. thanks

xenon121, Apr 29, 2011 IP
  19. djdestruction

djdestruction Peon

Best Answers:
    I have the software and design ready for a stockphoto site if anyone is intersted.

djdestruction, Apr 29, 2011 IP
  20. China_girl

China_girl Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    And what made you pull up a 5 years old thread and answer it ?
    Are these your sites ? OR Are you promoting for someone ?

Well, sorry but this is not the section for advertisements or promoting :p

China_girl, Apr 29, 2011 IP