1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How can we get listing in DMOZ

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by ssalinks, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    So let me get this straight... you are telling me how to spend my time, yet I am not allowed to tell you how to spend yours? Funny, YOU are the editor, not me. And when someone points something out I thought you said you would be grateful or something? So much for that right?

If I recall correctly, you were saying the same things when I was complaining about the CNN listings that were all 404ed... those are now gone, and I didn't report all of those. its MUCH easier, and a lot more fun to simply show the world just how YOU are, and as you are not the spokesmen for the ODP, how the rest of the editors seemingly are.

Though, it's really sad that the mindset of ANY editor is so uncaring about the guidelines, that must explain why you've been banned here on several occasions. I have done my part, and will continue to do my part in pointing out just what is wrong with the ODP internal system as long as there are those points which are wrong.

If one site is not worthy of being listed because of duplicate content, then it stands to reason that ANY site should not be listed for duplicate content, yet there still stands that one site with thousands upon thousands upon thousands... and here you are completely aware of the issue, yet have enough time to complain that someone is complaining yet not enough time to actually make the ODP a better place for ALL concerned.

Qryztufre, Apr 19, 2011 IP
  2. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    and here you are with enough time to keep complaining about Topix sites, yet not enough time to actually go and report them using the correct process so that they receive attention.

Anonymously, Apr 19, 2011 IP
  3. DhrubaJyotiDeka

DhrubaJyotiDeka Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have experienced worst with that Update Button.

It works like the same way listings work. Hence the unlimited delays.

DhrubaJyotiDeka, Apr 19, 2011 IP
  4. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    That is just not true, I am afraid.

Firstly how do you know when the site was reviewed after an update. Oh you mean it was not changed, now no one promises that an editor will always agree with you, try reporting a post on here and see if everyone you report is removed or the poster banned.

Updates are flashed to editors in a different colour from suggested sites and most of my recent editing has been to remove the very few, like one or two, updates that were in my regular editing sections. There is a tiny fraction of updates in the whole directory in relation to suggestions.

Anonymously, Apr 20, 2011 IP
  5. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Yes, yet... we can go around about this over & over & over can't we. It's SAD that you know about the problem, yet won't do anything about it. It's even sadder that there are many other editors with access that know about the problem yet wont do anything about... and why? Because you expect me to spend my time hunting down nearly TWENTY THOUSAND links that should not be there and reporting them ALL, when it would simply be a LOT quicker for you to just hit the search button on the ODP itself and following along.

What it really seems like at this point is that you (and the other editors) don't really care there are that many links that break multiple rules within the directory, yet still expect us to believe that you do care about the directory and it's end user.

The FACT that no one cares enough to clean up the place after a KNOWN issue says a LOT about the directory itself.

Want us to follow the rules? Follow them yourself!

That has actually happened SEVERAL times here... sadly its not happening with the one site that breaks the rules THOUSANDS of times.

Qryztufre, Apr 20, 2011 IP
  6. DhrubaJyotiDeka

Best Answers:
    I have tons of example, but I don't have time to waste on DMOZ.

Bellow is one simple example:

Category: http://www.dmoz.org/Regional/Asia/India/Assam/Society_and_Culture/
    Listed Site: http://www.satp.org/satporgtp/countries/india/states/assam/index.html

POINT: I did several report through UPDATE. But nothing happened for couple of years. But when I reported it at Resource Zone forum, one of the Editor Edited few words of the Description, but not removed the bias listing. If the UPDATE button was working, then why the action of Resource Zone forum was needed. :)

In the same category http://www.qsl.net/vu2msy/ is listed without any relevancy to the Category. :)

NOTE: You SMART EDITORS have listed/mixed TERRORISM with SOCIETY & CULTURE of a NATION. How valid you are? With your own judgement? This own judgement turned DMOZ now a days as DEAD.

I have said, there are tons of example. I have pointed little here. :)

DhrubaJyotiDeka, Apr 20, 2011 IP
  7. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    RZ may be a forum that editors act on what is said it is actually run by DMOZ editors you are using here a forum where DMOZ editors have no more control than anyone else. I rarely visit RZ unless something breaks at DMOZ. It is mostly Meta editors, maybe they looked at the site and agreed there should be some change despite what a previous editor had thought that none was needed. We are human, we do see some things differently, but who knows without looking up the site and reading the editor notes and then I would not be allowed to make further comment.

We are not smart, but we do try our best. I have seen months of debate happen before a category structure is set up and even then we sometimes come back to it. No we are not smart we are human, we do our best, sometimes that is not good enough, but you can tell us and sometime someone will volunteer to look at that section. The section may seem to be life or death to you, or you would not spend so much time on here complaining about it, but maybe for our editors it is another section, with noone having the knowledge, expertise or desire to work there.

Anonymously, Apr 20, 2011 IP
  8. DhrubaJyotiDeka

Best Answers:
    Have you ever tried to realize that everyone beyond of DMOZ staff are writing here and there to update DMOZ categories only, which needed to be appriciated by you. :)
    Instead of looking into those positive attitudes you are ignoring everything and coming up with contradictory statements in many posts.

DhrubaJyotiDeka, Apr 20, 2011 IP
  9. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    If I could understand this post i would try to reply. Sorry
    does not make sense.

Anonymously, Apr 21, 2011 IP
  10. DhrubaJyotiDeka

Best Answers:
    Again you contradict with your own speech. Compare the quote speech by you.

DhrubaJyotiDeka, Apr 21, 2011 IP
  11. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Digital Point is also a forum ran by a DMOZ editor...

There really is no difference between here & there, as NEITHER is any more official then the other in the end. The ONLY official communication is the blog, which no one really uses for communication, as my comments rarely get approved or replied to by editors.

Though, why not reply to DhrubaJyotiDeka's comment about actually reporting things & nothing every happening. Its as if he just brought them up here & no one really cared. The difference is of course he brought it up there where he was supposed to and no one really cared.

Qryztufre, Apr 22, 2011 IP
  12. DhrubaJyotiDeka

Best Answers:
    I tried several times. Even in RZ forum also, I have tried. But neither they explained anything nor they did take any action. They were stick into the existing one.

I doubt, if DMOZ is really running. Because I haven't seen any update since July 2009, in any of Indian categories. Hence my conclusion is this.

DhrubaJyotiDeka, Apr 22, 2011 IP
  13. dtroy2008

dtroy2008 Guest

Best Answers:
    dmoz is dead

dtroy2008, Oct 30, 2012 IP
  14. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    No, the link is working. (its the editors that are not *smirk*)

Qryztufre, Oct 31, 2012 IP
  15. cooljeeten7

cooljeeten7 Peon

Best Answers:
    Talking about DMOZ, me too very unsatisfied with your listing, unlisting, removed or rejected policy. I don't know what is main moto of their site, but I had already submitted my site on correct category but still they didn't approved or rejected whatever I don't know, then haven't anything on it.
    I am also very disappointed with the admin department of DMOZ

cooljeeten7, Oct 31, 2012 IP
  16. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You should demand a refund.

robjones, Nov 1, 2012 IP
  17. cooljeeten7

cooljeeten7 Peon

Best Answers:
    I just wanted to know about system of DMOZ listing, I had already submitted my site to listed there, but till no action is taken from DMOZ side.

cooljeeten7, Nov 1, 2012 IP
  18. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Read the sticky note at the top of this forum.

robjones, Nov 1, 2012 IP
  19. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Waves to Rob :)

jimnoble, Nov 1, 2012 IP
  20. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I despise the Green Bay Packers team colors. Why'd they go green and yellow?

robjones, Nov 1, 2012 IP