1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How can we get listing in DMOZ

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by ssalinks, Dec 14, 2010.

1. DhrubaJyotiDeka

DhrubaJyotiDeka Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No you cannot. As the suggested sites get pending for years, your application of to become an editor will also encounter the same.

But for your help you should stay in touch with the http://www.resource-zone.com/forum/

This is the Official forum of DMOZ.

DhrubaJyotiDeka, Mar 31, 2011 IP
  2. cuonghvn01

cuonghvn01 Guest

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your help, i hope site .co.uk will be on dmoz. Many thanks

cuonghvn01, Mar 31, 2011 IP
  3. DhrubaJyotiDeka

Best Answers:
    Welcome. :)

Its hope, which has no END.

I wish best for your site. I do wish that it will get listed sooner or later.

DhrubaJyotiDeka, Mar 31, 2011 IP
  4. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Oddly GOD really was an editor there at one point early on, but I think he (He?) timed out.

robjones, Apr 1, 2011 IP
  5. DhrubaJyotiDeka

Best Answers:
    Did anybody try him pinging? :p

DhrubaJyotiDeka, Apr 1, 2011 IP
    bogart likes this.
  6. immov2011

immov2011 Peon

Best Answers:
    I think a lot of people are disappointed with DMOZ. Their editors don't provide feedback, and their inclusion / exclusion are arbitrary.

immov2011, Apr 2, 2011 IP
  7. Riversway

Riversway Peon

Best Answers:
    You just need some patience, they will list you if you site is suitable- i imagine they have a LOT of sites to look at ans list.

Riversway, Apr 3, 2011 IP
  8. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Usually because their expectations aren't in line with our objectives.

That's true because there's no need and no point. Assuming that a suggested website is listable (Site Selection Criteria) it's in one of two states.
    - Listed (no need for feedback)
    - Awaiting evaluation (no need for feedback)

Untrue. See Site Selection Criteria

You might have misunderstood our objectives and how we operate here. ODP is a volunteer organisation building a directory as a hobby. Editors edit where they wish, when they wish and as much as they wish within the constraints of their permissions. We have no schedules or systems to force people to do work that they don't volunteer to do. ODP is not primarily a free listing service for website owners and it does not attempt to process their listing suggestions within the time scales desired by them.

There are around 200-400 million websites on this planet and we don't believe that suggested ones are somehow more valuable to our directory than the ones that haven't been. In many sectors, search engines are a lot more fruitful (=efficient) than the pools of listing suggestions.

jimnoble, Apr 3, 2011 IP
  9. yadavsarvesh10

yadavsarvesh10 Member

Best Answers:
    DMOZ properly check category as well as content form your website .

yadavsarvesh10, Apr 6, 2011 IP
  10. DhrubaJyotiDeka

Best Answers:
    Are you too sure!! How come!!!

I can point out hundreds of websites listed in DMOZ which don't have the criteria to be listed.

DhrubaJyotiDeka, Apr 7, 2011 IP
  11. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Please point them out using the update button at the top of every page and the site will be re-reviewed to ensure that it does meet our criteria. Updates get a much faster response than suggested sites. We are always very grateful for the help of the public in this way. Many thanks in anticipation..

Anonymously, Apr 13, 2011 IP
  12. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Will that hold true with the TOPIX listings which break SEVERAL rules, yet somehow still have tens of thousands of deep links?

Qryztufre, Apr 14, 2011 IP
  13. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    I always thought that Topix was something one used on spots (that's zits for US readers) and as you have been told many many many....times before, editors who check Topix sites and believe they break guidelines should treat them like any other unlistable site and delete them. But don't change the habit of a lifetime and let the facts get in the way of you spinning your stories about DMOZ. For someone who spent 10 minutes editing you sure do spend hours meowing about DMOZ.

Anonymously, Apr 14, 2011 IP
  14. Qryztufre

Best Answers:

Hmmm.... strange, how many ya think have been deleted in the last few years? not many by my count...

and it's strange that just a post ago you said: We are always very grateful for the help of the public in this way. Many thanks in anticipation..

What happened with that sentiment? Change your mind? I hit a cord or something? OH, I know... topix is really off limits and even though you have permissions to remove them, you dare not touch them because it was orders from the top to break nearly every guideline putting them in...

So I got an idea, lets turn this into a personal attack!
    heh, seems you had the same idea!

However, the fact I only spent ten minutes editing does NOT change the fact I have read the guidelines... and the guidelines clearly will show that the nearly TWENTY THOUSAND deep links that the site has do not in any way shape or form belong there.

So there ya go, did my part, consider each and everyone reported... now where is my thanks again?

Qryztufre, Apr 14, 2011 IP
  15. zeninho

zeninho Active Member

Best Answers:
    how can you be sure you are ready to submit to Dmoz?

zeninho, Apr 14, 2011 IP
  16. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    You can submit at ANY time. However, it's best to make sure your site is established (if its a forum a lot of posts, if it's a blog, a few months of activity, etc) and make sure there are no dead or missing pages (contact information, 404s, missing links, etc). Its also best to make sure your content is unique, many editors will actually check for that.

However, with the wait time, and with the fact many editors do not bother with the unreviewed queue, it's OK to NOT submit... the wait time is often the exact same.

Qryztufre, Apr 15, 2011 IP
  17. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Great you invented a mass tool to write up on each page where there is a Topix link? Please post some of the clues to it here.

ANY site flagged by an update WILL be investigated and checked by an editor. Please do start flagging them in that way if you want ant link investigated to ensure it is right for the directory.

Anonymously, Apr 17, 2011 IP
  18. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    So what you are saying is that this link isn't good enough: http://www.dmoz.org/search?q=topix

And that I must report all 20 thousand of them to make any difference?

Seriously? You can't just run through the list and save everyone time? Why would it be needed for someone to report them, then to have another person look into each report... save the world time, and make the ODP a better place for all by simply checking the list, and doing it yourself. You do have permission!

Though, I do understand that you don't care enough to even give such a thing as helping the ODP a second thought *rolls eyes*

Qryztufre, Apr 18, 2011 IP
  19. abhinavpannewal

abhinavpannewal Peon

Best Answers:
    yes u are right

abhinavpannewal, Apr 18, 2011 IP
  20. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    You have been told and know from your own experience that editors volunteer to edit, where they edit and when they edit. So none of us feel as strongly as you obviously do about Topix or we would go around and check, but as you feel so strongly, you bring it up every other post, then please use the proper system to get any or every Topix listing re-evaluated by going to the items you feel do not match up to the DMOZ guideline criteria and posting updates. If you are not prepared to do any investigation and request updates in the way provided to solve such issues please shut up.

Anonymously, Apr 18, 2011 IP