1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How can we get listing in DMOZ

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by ssalinks, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Service to those that submit based on the 'add' page... Should the submitter be a website owner, then BAM, the website owner has been serviced!

So it IS a service, now tell me *I* am the one twisting things, lol.

I'm thrilled to know that the ODP has changed the meaning of yet another word!

You guys really need to get an ODP dictionary published, it would be a real hoot to read.

Qryztufre, Mar 25, 2011 IP
  2. DhrubaJyotiDeka

DhrubaJyotiDeka Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I understand that there is a bug with the Date. But what bug us there about the listed sites?

As a Journalist cum Web Developer I am well aware about the Media & Newspapers of India that have been launched their online presence after August 2009. And none of them are listed in News & Media categories of India regional. So how come you can claim that it is the bug which is not showing the updated date?

I can prove you that none of the Editors have touched the News & Media category of India. Then will you acknowledge that the categories are not updated? :)

DhrubaJyotiDeka, Mar 25, 2011 IP
  3. wakatak

wakatak Peon

Best Answers:
    Give up on DMOZ and just get a lot more links in other well known free directories.

wakatak, Mar 25, 2011 IP
  4. DhrubaJyotiDeka

Best Answers:
    That is also fine. Clever and cool idea you have got buddy. :)

DhrubaJyotiDeka, Mar 25, 2011 IP
  5. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    There is a bug that means the dates are not correct, which was the context of your orriginal comment.

Any category has to wait until someone volunteers to edit that category. Some categories may get edited more often than others, depends on when someone volunteers to do it. Yes some categories can go for a long time without anyone volunteering to spend their spare time editing there. That's why we always say it can take from a few days to a few years for a suggested site to be reviewed for a possible listing. Anyone who thinks they can cut the mustard and can pass the test required of a person wanting to be an editor can volunteer to edit, there is a button at the bottom of most categories. If you think a category is neglected and you think you have what it takes then press the button and volunteer.

Anonymously, Mar 25, 2011 IP
  6. DhrubaJyotiDeka

Best Answers:
    You know the insight of DMOZ, we don't know it. So we have to node our heads what you people say. :D

So bossy style huh! Let us see, how long this bossy style will survive. ;)

I also observing the RZ forum for 2/3 times per week. And I have also noticed like the site to get listed, the applicants are also waiting since 2009. What you say about it? :)

You people are making people to stand in que for DMOZ. But I wonder, if the que will last long. I am sure one day the people of the que will understand they have wasted their times on that que and the que will be almost empty one day.

And that day the que will have to follow the people. :)

DhrubaJyotiDeka, Mar 26, 2011 IP
  7. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Sorry, I told you how it is, I can't see how that is in any sense 'bossy'

I have said on here before that I would stop allowing people to suggest sites if I had my way, but I lost that arguement. Editors can always choose if they want to use the suggestions pool or ignore it if they think they can build useful categories without using the suggestions. But whilst the pool is there then sometime an editor will volunteer to work there and then sites will get reviewsd. As I said the more editors we have the more chance someone will want to work and area. Also as I said have you offered your spare time to work the areas that you complain are not being updated. No use complaining no one has done it when you don't want to do, or are not able to become an editor to do it.

Anonymously, Mar 27, 2011 IP
  8. DhrubaJyotiDeka

Best Answers:
    Rules! You do say that Editors can list their own sites.

I was stopped applying to become Editor by your CatMod/Senior Editors(whoever) because they smelled my application business oriented. Reason was: my login id(desired) sounds them business oriented. What more joke can be there than this?

I was rejected 10 times, with no reason. And at 12th time, I was rejected with not to apply more warning.

You people do have times to chit chat on forums(that too more than 10 forums), but you people do not have time to update the categories.

Good. Enjoy your forum chit chats. Who cares!

The more old(by update) DMOZ will go, the more it will loose interest of people.

:)

DhrubaJyotiDeka, Mar 27, 2011 IP
  9. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    What I do in my spare time I think is entirely up to me, so if I want to edit in DMOZ tonight I will, if no I won'. IT IS A SITE RUN BY HOBBYISTS. Do I tell ou which stamps to collect or how often you have to work on that hobby. Of course not, please believe this IS OUR HOBBY.

Anonymously, Mar 28, 2011 IP
  10. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:

Telling an editor to edit is a lot like telling a stamp collector to collect stamps... is that really all that wrong?

Qryztufre, Mar 28, 2011 IP
  11. skykid

skykid Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I must be doing something wrong - have tried to send my site to DMOZ for over two years with no luck.

skykid, Mar 28, 2011 IP
  12. DhrubaJyotiDeka

Best Answers:
    I don't understand why they are get irritated when we ask to update the categories.

Really such an illogical response.

DhrubaJyotiDeka, Mar 28, 2011 IP
  13. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Was there some part of Please only submit a URL to the Open Directory once in the Submission Guidelines (that you agreed on each occasion) that you didn't understand?

jimnoble, Mar 28, 2011 IP
  14. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    You enjoy someone telling you how to spend your spare time?
    We are hobbyists, we are volunteers, we work as and when we have time we want to give to ODP and for many that is hundreds of hours and yet people bleat that we do not do enough. You know that if every single editor did 4 hours a day it would take about 3 years to update the categories and rid the directory of suggestions. That is assuming that there were no more suggestions in that time. There simply is not enough editors with enough time to keep all the categories up to date. Which don't get edited depends on which editor, with their own likes and dislikes, spends most time in any area. Now how does it help for you to keep bleating that we don't spend 25 hours a day on what is our hobby and our spare time to give? Yes I spend time on here, I am also a moderator on a forum, perhaps you think I should give all that up so that the categories you want updating get updated. Don't be so silly and see why when we already spend spare time on this and you just want more, more, more and you can't cut the mustard to pass the entrance exam.

Anonymously, Mar 29, 2011 IP
  15. DhrubaJyotiDeka

Best Answers:
    I do not have spare time. Because I am not pro-claimed voluenteer. ;)

Well, I have seen in Indian Categories, no voluenteer is spending 1 hour too even in 3 years. After 2009 August, none of the categories is updated. And I have already said this. But you are skipping this concern again and again.

The fact is you do not want new editors. I am checking the RZ forums if any New Editor got approved. But unfortunately none got approved in 2010. Nor even in 2011.

Every applicant is asking there about their application status, and you 10/12 Seniors are simply answering: Its awaiting evaluation.

If your application approval takes years then it is too simple and common concern that the suggested sites must have to wait for years. And increasingly may be the sites have to wait for decades after few days(because you have rule not to submit more than once again), and after one decade or so may be the awaiting time would increase for eras. ;)

Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
    DhrubaJyotiDeka, Mar 29, 2011 IP
  16. cuonghvn01

cuonghvn01 Guest

Best Answers:
    i have 2 sites:haivenu-vietnam.com & vietnam-holidays.co.uk . Site .com had added on Dmoz but .co.uk didn't. I don't why. PR is probably an important factor to be on Dmoz

cuonghvn01, Mar 31, 2011 IP
  17. DhrubaJyotiDeka

Best Answers:
    .co.uk simply goes for UK locality.

DhrubaJyotiDeka, Mar 31, 2011 IP
  18. cuonghvn01

cuonghvn01 Guest

Best Answers:
    yes, i know. But editors of Dmoz don't work, they do not manage all the requests, or perhaps, there is no healthy competition

19. DhrubaJyotiDeka

Best Answers:
    Hmmm... that is what you needed to realize.

DMOZ editors don't work. And there is no answer when they will work.

Suggesting your site to DMOZ is like praying help from GOD now days. You may get helped by your GOD(!) or mayn't be for your lifetime.

DhrubaJyotiDeka, Mar 31, 2011 IP
  20. cuonghvn01

cuonghvn01 Guest

Best Answers:
    haha oh my God, maybe i will become a editor (GOD)=))