1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is it just me?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by stevenh, Aug 21, 2010.

1. Agent000

Agent000 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Don't figure.. you happy to put down volunteers because they have not yet listed your site, but not prepared to help out to point dead listings...maybe its karma

Agent000, Jan 26, 2011 IP
  2. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    What came first the chicken or the egg, or in this case, the disgruntled submitter or the disgruntled ODP editor.

The way it stands now, if the guy helps scratch the back of the ODP, the editors still don't give a rip... so honestly, why would he want to help if help wont be coming his way?

Karma indeed! It would explain why the ODP has been running slowly down hill, rather then on a continuous climb. People really used to care ya know... now it's just expired hype, and you can thank the editors 'I don't care about you' attitude for that.

Qryztufre, Jan 26, 2011 IP
  3. stevenh

stevenh Peon

Best Answers:
    I find it quite rich that your site is listed twice:

1. Dartshop - Offers darts, dart boards and accessories. Information about its product range with catalogue and shopping cart. Located in Australia.
    -- http://www.dartshop.com.au/ Shopping: Sports: Darts (1)
    2. Dartshop - Offers darts, boards and accessories. Information about its product range with catalogue and shopping cart.
    -- http://www.dartshop.com.au/ Regional: Oceania: Australia: Business and Economy: Shopping: Sporting Goods (1)

I'm just sayin...

stevenh, Jan 26, 2011 IP
  4. stevenh

stevenh Peon

Best Answers:
    You are kidding right? That's one of the issues I've been harping on, because I have pointed out sites that open x-rated links and checked back later to find no change.

Seriously, my karma is just fine.

It says a lot that, just for pointing out inconsistencies, the rhetoric and level of intelligence with regards to these issues are so laughable. I won't say anymore about it since that seems to be more important to the "volunteers". Silence won't fix DMOZ, but at least you'll all feel better about it if nobody says anything.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
    stevenh, Jan 26, 2011 IP
  5. Agent000

Best Answers:
    And if you read the guidelines you would know that there is nothing wrong with two or multiple listings.
    Did you follow the guidelines in reporting them? Or are you just happy to keep critisicing the volunteers for not acting becasue YOU did not report them in the right place... don't figure that you can't read the guidelines....and then complain. I just don't get it.

6. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Its very common for editors to have multiple listings. In fact, the directory was founded on listing one's own site. Just ask Skrenta & his nearly TWENTY THOUSAND deep links (most of which break multiple rules, and certainly the key unique content one the editors here keep on about, yet all are allowed to stay).

And yeah, yeah I brought it up again... just giving another example of the multitude of double standards ;)

So to answer your initial question... not it's not just you. Most everyone except the editors actually see it.

7. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Depends on who ya ask, or what guidelines ya follow.

The ADD page clearly says SINGLE MOST, not "any and all"... but that's a double standard isn't it?

8. Agent000

Best Answers:
    How do you even know that the one refered to is an editors site? Its a site with a regional listing and a topical listing. Well within the guidelines and widely encourgaed. Whats the problem with it?

9. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Nothings wrong with it. Didn't you see what I said... it's very common for editors to have multiple listings for the sites they have affiliations with.

Is that in the ADD page? Ya know, the one the submitter is supposed to read?

10. stevenh

stevenh Peon

Best Answers:
    Funny, I don't remember actually criticizing volunteers. I merely pointed out my experience, nothing more. You are the one that decided I was criticizing rather than being critical. Why is it that every time anyone says anything about DMOZ, or even asks why, people crawl out of the woodwork in an obvious end around to defend the thing. When editors willingly spend more time defending it than editing it, I'd think something's wrong. I know, I know... it's a volunteer thing and you can't be on it 24/7 editing submissions, but you can make time to cruise forums and crush any negative posts. You should all be politicians.

Rather than being the beacon of what a free directory can be it has become a peeing contest of editors vs. the world. Whatever man, just keep up the good work.

stevenh, Jan 27, 2011 IP
  11. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    So you don't want to criticise volunteer editors but you do want to tell how to spend my spare time. Sorry that it is not acceptable to you, sir, that I want to spend my evening hours posting at Digital Point. Honestly I will not do it again. So long as you don't mind me telling you how to spend the whole of the next week, 24/7. oh you want to go to work, and you want to spend some time with your family....not allowed, you will spend time the way I tell you.

Sorry, but you are a sad joke. You have been told that we edit in our spare time and therefore we can do as much or as little as we want in just the same way that you spend as much or as little time as you want on any hobby you have.

I wonder who next you will want to tell how to spend their spare time. But then you also do not want to be told that you too, yes you, can volunteer to work on the project, but you don't want to be told that either. And we don't just ask webmasters to help if they see sites listed that the person believes should not be there, we ask it of the people for whom we produce the directory, and that is the surfer who wants to use categorised data for that search, certainly not webmasters. But if any member of the public finds a site an offence in the directory, report it. And an editor will look at the report, if you or anyone else does not feel that justice has been done then raise an abuse issue. But if you don't want to bother doing that, it's not a problem an editor will one day find it.

It might not be palatable to you, but this is a group of hobbyists working in their spare time, putting in as much time as they wish, provided they do one edit every 4 months and we produce a directory for searchers and we have absolutely no interest in any value that a site might gain by being listed nor can we undertake to look at any suggested site in any given timetable and it can take from a few days to a few years for a review for a possible listing. The sooner you accept that as a fact the sooner you will get your blood pressure down and stop trying to dictate to volunteer editors how or how not to spend their spare time.

Anonymously, Jan 27, 2011 IP
  12. stevenh

stevenh Peon

Best Answers:
    "My views are my own and don't represent ODP or anyone else." I beg to differ, this is exactly how the typical editor reacts. As an editor you do represent the ODP and bashing people rather than addressing their concerns doesn't make your little foot note change this fact. Just having this on all of your posts shows you intend to get personal and somehow believe it separates you from the ODP. It does the opposite.

You agreed with what I said, and then bashed me as if I had told you what to do with your time. Ironic at best, incredible for sure.

You obviously relish setting the bar as low as possible just by the way you've responded. The funny truth about it is that with your insults and the utter nonsense from both of the "editors" has helped to prove my points correct. From all outward appearance and for the most part the editors don't seem to give a $%!t. Both of you have responded to fairly timid criticism and turned it into an even more rediculous personal attack. Fairly standard practice and par for the course. Anyone reading this, except other editors of course, will probably come to the same conclusions. If this is how all editors handle any negative inquiries than it says a lot about why things are the way they are at the moz.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
    stevenh, Jan 30, 2011 IP
  13. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    No it means what it says the opinions are mine we are not allowed to represent DMOZ, sorry to foil the conspiracy theory.

Anonymously, Jan 30, 2011 IP
  14. stevenh

stevenh Peon

Best Answers:
    Originally Posted by stevenh
    "My views are my own and don't represent ODP or anyone else." I beg to differ, this is exactly how the typical editor reacts. As an editor you do represent the ODP and bashing people rather than addressing their concerns doesn't make your little foot note change this fact. Just having this on all of your posts shows you intend to get personal and somehow believe it separates you from the ODP. It does the opposite.

You do realize that's a contradiction, right? How can you represent yourself as an ODP editor while separating yourself from being an ODP editor?
    Conspiracy theory? You really don't see what everyone else does, do you?

The inmates run the asylum and the kingdon is safe. I now understand why ODP is broken.

stevenh, Mar 26, 2011 IP
  15. Anonymously

Best Answers:

LOL your funny. I am an Englishman, but i don't represent England in anything I say, but perhaps you don't agree with that either.

Anonymously, Mar 28, 2011 IP
  16. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    I don't know if that's true... I've never seen you talk about being one of those. When you do, do you say "I" or "we"?

Also, do you disagree that this statement is true.

"We digital point members are NOT Dmoz editors"

It is true, because *I* am not a Dmoz editor, but I am a Digital Point member... so by your logic, it's more then OK for me to speak for the group because I am an individual within that group. And by your logic, the statement above is very true indeed!

Qryztufre, Mar 28, 2011 IP
  17. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Yes you are, but not allowed to edit anymore.

Anonymously, Mar 29, 2011 IP
  18. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Then it must also be true, that as that is true it's more then OK for me to assume you too are not an editor? Jim is not an editor, snooks is not an editor and so on based on this also being true.

"We digital point members are not DMOZ editors".

Qryztufre, Mar 30, 2011 IP
  19. mfreeman6

mfreeman6 Peon

Best Answers:
    I just bought a domain that is Dmoz listed, but the category it's in makes absolutely no sense! I'm not going to mention the name for fear of loosing my coveted listing. I guess it dosn't really matter since no one will ever find the site through a DMOZ search anyway. Maybe it's just the prestige that goes with being able to say "I...Have a DMOZ listed site". Aren't I cool! And you you don't have one, so you are not cool! ;-)

mfreeman6, Apr 9, 2011 IP
  20. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No you're not. Instead, you're showing that you think that cheating is OK.

.. and to what purpose? Most seasoned users here will tell you that an ODP listing doesn't increase traffic and is unlikely to increase your search engine visibility. You won't even be able to claim that your site has been deemed listable by DMOZ. Prestige? Pah!

As to bragging about it, this forum's ToS don't allow me to say what I think of that :(.

jimnoble, Apr 9, 2011 IP