1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How can we get listing in DMOZ

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by ssalinks, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Urwaind

Urwaind Peon

Best Answers:
    I submitted my site (www.urwaind.com) on DMOZ about 6 months ago, I followed every instruction but my site is not listed.

Urwaind, Dec 23, 2010 IP
  2. Urwaind

Urwaind Peon

Best Answers:
    I submitted my site on DEMOZ 6 months ago, I followed every guideline but site is not listed yet.

Urwaind, Dec 23, 2010 IP
  3. CReed

CReed Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Are you sure about that?

Don't the guidelines suggest that you submit but once?

CReed, Dec 23, 2010 IP
  4. vernonpurcell

vernonpurcell Member

Best Answers:
    Just got all the way to submitt my site then it ask for the picture verification and the link is broken

vernonpurcell, Dec 24, 2010 IP
  5. CReed

CReed Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    It works fine - I just used it. Try again; maybe with a different browser. ;)

Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
    CReed, Dec 24, 2010 IP
  6. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It can take from a few days to a few years to get a review for a possible listing...just be patient....meanwhile promote your site elsewhere, improve the site, there is nothing more you can do to promote it with DMOZ.

Anonymously, Dec 24, 2010 IP
  7. jasminedir

jasminedir Guest

Best Answers:
    In my opinion DMOZ should of worked like a real human edited web directory: editors include websites that worth being included. But no, we all know that you have to have an relatively old website, good website, unique website and a lot of luck that someone still be there and checkout the submission list for the category you want to get in.

While it's easy to get in small categories, for niche websites (eg. a lesbian blog) for bigger categories (a business, a web hosting company, a web directory) it's a nightmare. For example, I submitted twice in 2 years my business directory to the appropriate category: It is human edited, it us unique, each category/subcategory has relevant description, listing pages are unique, CSS/XHTML valid, user friendly design, etc etc. But no and no. Why? Don't know.

While I don't see getting in DMOZ a "must have", I just wanted to highlight that DMOZ is not working as intended.

jasminedir, Mar 19, 2011 IP
  8. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Despite you bumping a thread of about 4 month since the lats post, here are a couple of pointers. What make you think that DMOZ is not working as intended. I am an editor and I think it is. Suggested sites have to wait until someone volunteers to work that section, just as intended. Sites with unique content and rich in it will get listed when they are reviewed by that editor who volunteered, no better chance for a huge expensive website than a small back of the envelope website, just the ones that have unique content and rich in it. So the latest gizmo site does not get a preference over the site created by an amateur, so long as it is reasonably user friendly. Web owners believe that their site should have some sort of right to be listed to get some sort of boost, DMOZ is not interested in any value that might be given to a site because it has been listed, DMOZ volunteers seek to build categories that they as editors believe will be helpful for someone who wishes to search the web using categorised data. Yes DMOZ is working as intended.

Anonymously, Mar 22, 2011 IP
  9. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I don't really think anyone intended sites to take YEARS to get reviewed....but I could be wrong.

Qryztufre, Mar 23, 2011 IP
  10. DhrubaJyotiDeka

DhrubaJyotiDeka Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Kindly show me any single category of India that has been updated since 2009. I am monitoring basically he News & Media, Universities, Colleges and Government categories. And I know which are listed before 2009.

This is not an offence, but a curosity. :)

DhrubaJyotiDeka, Mar 23, 2011 IP
  11. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    It was intended to take as long as it took someone to volunteer to work there or the sytem would not be set up for volunteers and people would be mandated or paid to work in a section, nither of those was intended or they would have been set in motion but neither have been set in motion, so if it took years it took years because it waits and is intended to wait until a volunteer volunteers.

If you had read the threads on here you would have known that there is a bug that means the update dates are not correct even non-editors are advising that to readers on other threads here.

Anonymously, Mar 23, 2011 IP
  12. Qryztufre

Best Answers:

I stand corrected... they certainly did intend for sites to wait for years and years to get reviewed. Thanks for clearing that up! It says a LOT about what the ODP is all about!

Qryztufre, Mar 24, 2011 IP
  13. Alex060985

Alex060985 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Guys,

This is something that is asked almost everytime that i log into this forum!

Firstly, lets start with the fact that a search saves the time and effort it takes to create a thread.

Secondly, it's all good trying to call ODP this that and the other but the fact is that they are run with the help of volunteers, so rather than dedicating all of their time to inspecting sites that are within their category, they need a little time to be able to focus on their own subject areas.

Lay off them, submit your site for consideration and forget about it.

Make sure that your site meets the quality expected by the editors and just work on other aspects of your site...

Nothing more that you can do, simple.

Alex060985, Mar 24, 2011 IP
  14. fastreplies

fastreplies Banned

Best Answers:
    You see anon, your talking points are working.
    Continue lying long enough and people start believing that you're telling the "truth".

:)

fastreplies

fastreplies, Mar 24, 2011 IP
  15. MakZF

MakZF Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You can't, unless you are an editor or you have lots of money in order to pay someone who is an editor or knows an editor to put your site in.

MakZF, Mar 24, 2011 IP
  16. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Gotta love these authoritative generalisations parroted by folks who believe they are true because they read them on the interwebs.

I've processed around 70 websites today (when I could sneak away from gardening) and I'd never previously heard of any of them. Neither did I look to see who owned them.

Here are some truisms:

There have been corrupt editors and there probably are some today. They don't last long once discovered though. You can help with this by reporting any bribe solicitations with full details, including email headers. Anything less than that is just hearsay scuttlebutt and deserves to be ignored.

Meta editors are pretty good at detecting the self serving and corrupt attempting to become editors.

The huge majority of editors are, like me, straight as a die.

An ODP listing is unlikely to increase traffic, still less cause money to fall from the sky.

ODP is not at any time trying to provide a service to website owners.

There ain't no Santa Clause. Watch out for the Easter Bunny though :).

jimnoble, Mar 24, 2011 IP
  17. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    I fully agree! in fact, just recently I was on the ODP and they called the directory a SERVICE!

The Open Directory team welcomes comments and feedback about the directory generally. Please let us know what you think, and how we can improve the service. Thanks!
    (source])

Thanks for pointing it out to all of us, ya can't believe everything ya read on the instructions page for submitting to the ODP.

:D

Qryztufre, Mar 24, 2011 IP
  18. webmage

webmage Peon

Best Answers:
    What kind of value is a link on DMOZ worth in terms of traffic to your website?

webmage, Mar 24, 2011 IP
  19. sethikoolboy

sethikoolboy Peon

Best Answers:
    "Dmoz editors are corrupt" Is that true?

sethikoolboy, Mar 24, 2011 IP
  20. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Of course we provide a service. A service to those who use our data and those who use our facility to use categorised data for their searching. Tell me does it say a service to webmasters or site owners?

Anonymously, Mar 24, 2011 IP