1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Increasing Google AdSense Unit Size Good Or Bad Idea?

Discussion in 'Placement / Reviews / Examples' started by NNSocialNetworks, Mar 21, 2011.

Hi folks,

I recently was advised to increase the size of my AdSense ad units. on my top banner unit, I went from 468x60 to 728x90. On my tower unit, i went from 120x600 to 160x600 and on a square unit, i went from a 300x250 to a 336x280. I was told with these larger units (all rich media and text ads), I would increase my revenue. Well, here is my problem. the older ads were constantly placing ads very relevant to my topic, whereas the new size does not. Also, the larger units only seem to have about 5 advertisers.....I have everything set as targetable...My question is, should I wait it out, and give it time for targeting, or are those larger units simply way short on advertisers? For what it's worth, I do seem to be making a little more than the past on impressions...Any advice here is greatly appreciated, and this is my first post, glad to be a part of this community!

Dave

Last edited: Mar 21, 2011
    NNSocialNetworks, Mar 21, 2011 IP
  2. usrecord

usrecord Peon

Best Answers:
    Even if you change the sizes of your ads, it is still legal as it's a part of your experiment of which ads have clicks. So in short, you don't need to worry about that.

usrecord, Mar 21, 2011 IP
  3. NNSocialNetworks

NNSocialNetworks Peon

Best Answers:
    Legal? I wasn't asking about any legalities. What I'm saying is, the 3 sizes i used before put very relevant ads on my site, and were getting clicks, whereas the 4-5 advertisers showing up on the larger size I just implemented are not relevant to my content, so I doubt seriously they will get any clicks (but I'm getting more frequent payments on impressions). What I'm needing to know, is, will these larger ad units eventually start placing relevant advertisements to my content on my site? Is it pretty much a waiting game?

NNSocialNetworks, Mar 21, 2011 IP
  4. StoneWilson

StoneWilson Peon

Best Answers:
    Different niche has different situation, so it's hard to say, maybe you should give it a month to check whether larger size can bring more money or not.

StoneWilson, Mar 22, 2011 IP
  5. NNSocialNetworks

NNSocialNetworks Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you, stone......I'm actually starting to see some relevant ads starting to generate, so i think it's just a matter of time is all.

NNSocialNetworks, Mar 22, 2011 IP
  6. basickno

basickno Member

Best Answers:
    Size does matter and may does not matter. IT depends on what ads are being show and how they are relevant to your content. If you think that smaller ad units were showing right ads to your visitors, you must stay with them and to improve revenue, you can try following tips.

1. Find best place by using multiple ad units and analizing the number of clicks you get, where most visitors clicks your ads more that other ad units.
    2. Then make that place to display your very first ad unit, as this will have the highest eCPM which can result in more earnings per click.

basickno, Mar 23, 2011 IP
  7. HappyAndyK

HappyAndyK Peon

Best Answers:
    Vertical ads dont pay much. Try the Leaderboard, 300x250 and/or 336x280 if you really want to make money!

HappyAndyK, Apr 2, 2011 IP
  8. techbrij

techbrij Peon

Best Answers:
    techbrij, Apr 18, 2011 IP