1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to advertise a forum?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by Cleberl1, Mar 18, 2011.

Hello,

Very recently I created a forum (mybb) about IM, affiliates, seo, payment processing, web hoting, etc... very similar with this forum :D Maybe I'll not earn $10k per month, but lets try. :cool:

As my site don't have a very specif theme I don't know what is the best way to advertise or create backlinks for it.

Will blog comenting or article marketing work for it? For example if i write a article aboout web hosting and send to a article directory the visitor will come to my site and will see many other subjects not related with webhosting and maybe this visitor will not return anymore.

What do you think?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
    Cleberl1, Mar 18, 2011 IP
  2. kittyluver

kittyluver Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Promote your forum by asking few of the members like me :) to post there for signature links as well as you can pay at least $1 per 10 posts. You'll be noticed by Google and easily can get visitors from different parts of the world.

kittyluver, Mar 18, 2011 IP
  3. khulet22

khulet22 Member

Best Answers:
    You can promote your forum by visiting and joining other forum that are related to your site.Article making can be a useful tool too.

khulet22, Mar 18, 2011 IP
  4. SSC

SSC Active Member

Best Answers:
    to kick start a forum, i would suggest you to hire some professional forum poster because no body likes an empty forum

once you got a sufficient number of posts then you can just sit back and enjoy moderating the forum

SSC, Mar 19, 2011 IP
  5. Davicito

Davicito Peon

Best Answers:
    Forums are good place for forum promotion, you can also do SEO for that and can optimize the forum, for example: computer forum, mobile forum, dating forum etc.

Davicito, Mar 19, 2011 IP
  6. Reputation

Reputation Peon

Best Answers:
    Exactly as some said, nobody likes a empty forum, either hire someone/ do it yourself/ get friends to help you kickstart it, post some good content , not the general "post game" shit, nobody likes these, really, it just looks poor when someone comes in and sees your forum.

Advertising wise, you should leverage other forums/blogs/sites on your niche, go to forums, register, and put the Link in your sig, link back as much as you can when you have topics on resembling topics, or people need help, post about it in your forum , and link there, some forums may frown about it though, so be careful, go to blogs, and comment using your forum link etc, if you can run a adwords Campaign also, that should help alot.

Reputation, Mar 19, 2011 IP
  7. Cleberl1

Cleberl1 Peon

Best Answers:
    kittyluver

It can help, but I'm not interested in spend money right now.

khulet22

I'll try it, but I think it's necessary to be very active on other forums.

SSC

I'm planning to start posting some good contents in my site, certainly nobody will visit an empty forum.

Davicito

Somebody knows how to SEO an forum using mybb? I'm using a seo plugin for google, is there any other way to optimize for seo?

Yep, it sounds a good way to attract visitors.

I really wanted to know how Shawn Hogan was able to bring huge traffic for this site? Probably because people visit digitalpoint.com and see this forum...

----------------------------

My target is to make at least $1000 per month until the end of year, do you think is possible to earn this amount of money with a forum? :p

Cleberl1, Mar 19, 2011 IP
  8. Reputation

Reputation Peon

Best Answers:
    Everything is possible, but it really depends on a few factors, like Niche,Saturation,Profitability(a small Chicken taming forum might be less profitable then a extremely populated Car Selling forum for example, in ways you can extract money from users, these include ads to commissions depending, like how DP works for example with verification etc, though it makes A LOT of money from ads i can assume), obviously the niche and keywords will also effect how much you make with your ads, if you want to talk details etc, you can contact me over PM, and i can tell you what sounds realistic to me.

Reputation, Mar 19, 2011 IP
  9. Amitoops

Amitoops Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well you can take help o forum poster for these kind of work.They will surely help you,Actually they will get traffic for your forum and for that they charge small money.

Amitoops, Mar 19, 2011 IP
  10. Cleberl1

Cleberl1 Peon

Best Answers:
    My forum is very similar with this one, not a 100% copy, but there are many similarities, so if shawn hogan was really making $10k per month some years ago, my actual target is not impossible to reach. :D

I have a huge list of places to advertise my forum such as article directory and social bookmarking sites. I'll spend many hours advertising it and building good posts about it.

My first target is to earn 2..4 usd per day and increase gradually.

Cleberl1, Mar 19, 2011 IP
  11. Noah Benjamin Rainey

Noah Benjamin Rainey Peon

Best Answers:
    I'll take you up on this offer Kitty. Send me a PM.

Noah Benjamin Rainey, Mar 19, 2011 IP
  12. ForgottenCreature

ForgottenCreature Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Surely you should check out the following articles on "Advertising your forum for free", hey I read them, they're very helpful.

http://www.theadminzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11274 - how to advertise your site for free
    so your advertising isn't doing much for free you?

Also this place has a lot of good articles on forum management, and promoting them: http://www.theadminzone.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36

ForgottenCreature, Mar 20, 2011 IP
  13. dscurlock

dscurlock Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Can you code? create your own content? Design? If not then you have to hire people to do this stuff? do you
    have the cash flow to pay for all this for the next 2-3 years, maybe more, you are not the only one in this market....
    there are more seasoned forums that have years of experience over you already....

If you are looking for some quick return, then just stop now and go no futher.

PS

What do you have to offer that can not be found on some 7-10 year old forum?

dscurlock, Mar 20, 2011 IP
  14. Cleberl1

Cleberl1 Peon

Best Answers:
    ForgottenCreature

Very usefull tips on these links, thanks.

dscurlock

I can create my own content, and I already startet doing it. I'll not spend one single cent for others doing what i already know. And I'm not a 12 years old kid to believe I'll become rich overnight.

If some people like the owner of this forum is earning thousands per month I can earn at least 10% of what he or some people are earning.

Cleberl1, Mar 20, 2011 IP
  15. dscurlock

dscurlock Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I am just saying if you can do your own work then you will be that far ahead of the game.

Since DP does not publish their income report, then I am not going to guess how much they make.
    I have seen posts from people with various amounts, and how would they know this? so I am
    not going to get into this guess game over how much this forum may or may not make.

dscurlock, Mar 20, 2011 IP
  16. Cleberl1

Cleberl1 Peon

Best Answers:
    My main problem is the lack of time, I only have enough time to dedicated for my sites at weekends.

According to this site (from 2006), shawn hoggan says he earns about $10k, unless this is a fake article, he should be earning a bunch of money with adsense.

Also a forum with most of the times during the day with 2000 online vistors and users should be generating a huge amount of money.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/16/technology/16ecom.html?_r=3

Cleberl1, Mar 21, 2011 IP
  17. saptakmandal

saptakmandal Active Member

Best Answers:
    at first you must need some content so hire some people to add content to your forum .

saptakmandal, Mar 21, 2011 IP
  18. boundlessmartin

boundlessmartin Active Member

Best Answers:
    Join relevant forums and use your forum link in signature.

boundlessmartin, Mar 21, 2011 IP
  19. saqib889

saqib889 Peon

Best Answers:
    I recommend you to do posting on forums for your forum

saqib889, Mar 21, 2011 IP
  20. Jaredmoon

Jaredmoon Peon

Best Answers:
    like what everyone has been suggesting, create interesting and relevant content in your forum. Join and post in community boards similar to your niche market, post the link of your forum on your signature.

Jaredmoon, Mar 21, 2011 IP