1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Adsense newbie here - Help needed

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by JS92, Mar 14, 2011.

Just got my account approved a couple of days back and have been doing a lot of research about adsense since then.

I've learned that per click rates depend on the keywords. Google puts ads on my site depending on the keywords that are on my site. For example, if my site has a lot of words related to investment, finance, money etc. then the ads will most probably be of financing companies etc. Am I correct?

Different keywords have different rates. I Googled it and found out that 'chicago injury lawyer' has the highest click rate of more than $90. Is that true? One click = more than $90?

Suppose, my site has only two pages. Page 1 is about investment, finance, money, bank etc. Page 2 is about doctors, medical, hospitals, medicines etc. Now, my questions is, how will Google put ads on my site? Will the ads on page 1 and page 2 be different? Like in this case, page 1 will have ads related to finance and page 2 will have ads related to medicines? Or will page 1 and 2 have the same ads on it?

I already mentioned above that I Googled for the highest paying keywords.. but the results I found were not satisfying. An example of this: Some say that keywords 'chicago injury lawyer' pays more than $90 per click, some says it's all a hoax and it's not true. Which one is it?

Can someone give me a list of the highest paying keywords along with an estimate of the worth of each keyword? To maximize my earnings, what I have to do is create a page which has those keywords in it so Google will put ads related to those keywords on that page?

Thanks in advance.

JS92, Mar 14, 2011 IP
  2. adsenseplr

adsenseplr Active Member

Best Answers:
    First of all save yourself some time and money and do not chase mythical $90 keywords, if you do so you will get nowhere and get frustrated and give up on adsense. Do not even bother buying a top paying adsense keywords list. Also you mention "that per click rates depend on the keywords" - this is not true your CTR is all to do with your ad placement and nothing to do with keywords. That said you need the right keyword density to ensure that relevant adsense ads are pulled up on your site. Adsense is contextual so the ads it shows will be purely down to your content. Time and again on this forum do I see people whining that that Google isn't showing the right ads on their site. This is B**ls, it is always down to the site owners content - Google adsense is contextual so if the wrong ads are showing then sorry it is down to you as a site owner and not Google.

Ideally pick a keyword in the $2-3 range so you will get $1 per click or thereabouts, and pick a subject that you know about or like, you will find it far easier to write about. For the record I am a house husband and look after my daughter in the afternoons, but in the mornings I grow plants for sale. So what is my best adsense site? It is my gardening advice forum - typical click $0.75 to $2! (And no do not anyone even bother asking for the url)
    I can sell you a list of high paying keywords but I would be stealing your money and you would make nothing from them. THINK! The reason someone might be prepared to pay $90 may just be because they have so much difficulty attracting natural traffic. I guess on average it takes most people a year to realise this wasting time building websites that get no adsense income. Undoubtedly someone will send you a PM offering to sell you a top paying keyword list - You could buy one or just use a $20 bill to light a cigar.

What most people fail to realise is that you need to go for a keyword with a high average $$$ as if you are prepared to pay $90 a keyword, but if I am the next advertiser down the list in Google and I am only prepared to pay $1, do you know how much you will pay out? $90? no you will only pay out 1 cent more than my bid - that is right $1.01. So the months you have spent building a site chasing a $90 click is actually just wasted chasing a $1.01 click

Bet/Hope this post has set a few people thinking!

adsenseplr, Mar 14, 2011 IP
    Aquarezz likes this.
  3. RumpledElf

RumpledElf Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If the wrong ads are showing its actually partly google and the advertiser's fault. Yes, I had to change my site back when I only ever got insurance ads and credit card ads, but why would google let credit card and insurance companies advertise on an e-card site with jokes on it? Total waste of the advertising space and pushed my CTR down to zero. I removed the keywords 'quote' and 'card' with the google ignore tags and suddenly I got relevant ads and started earning on those pages. Changing meta keywords also has a huge impact on what ads you get when google can't work out what your site is about.

Also, even if you have very low paying keywords, it seems like you get a higher CPC if your traffic is higher. Which makes sense, why would someone pay $90 a click on a site that is so obscure that only 10 people visit a day.

RumpledElf, Mar 14, 2011 IP
  4. JS92

JS92 Peon

Best Answers:
    @above posters,

Thank you for the information. My site is a forum. There are categories on different topics, like there are categories on investment programs, forex, SEO, mobile phones, general discussions etc. Will adsense display relevant ads in each category or will it display same ads everywhere on the forum? What can I do to my forum that it displays high paying ads? When I say high paying ads, I mean which pays a dollar or two per click or a little more.

The first day it displayed ads, I got 3 clicks and CPC it showed was $0.45. I was amazed to see about $1.5 just for 3 clicks. The next day there were about 5 clicks and the earnings were less than 20 cents. Same thing today. Why?

JS92, Mar 14, 2011 IP
  5. RumpledElf

RumpledElf Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Google magically displays ads based on either the content of the current page, the user's recent history, or a bit of both, mixed in with the user's geographical location. You could get a different ad on every page if there's the ads available.

My forum usually pays over $1 a click (when people actually bother to click, which is surprisingly infrequently) and I don't do a thing. It is just the nature of that forum. Forums are usually very low CTR and unless you're telling your users what to write, the best you can do is set the vague content of the forum. I have a user called Ugg and I get ads for uggboots when he posts a lot :) The funny thing is, most days I get no clicks at all on that forum but it still makes around $1 a day.

Give it time, you'll see an earning trend.

RumpledElf, Mar 14, 2011 IP
  6. JS92

JS92 Peon

Best Answers:
    I have an idea. Hear me out and tell me what you think.

This maybe how it works or it maybe a coincidence. The ads I see in this thread just below my first post are 'adsense', 'keyword tool', 'google adwords'. I opened another thread in the social networks section. The ads there below the first post were 'social network', 'chat online', 'affiliate marketing'. If this isn't just a coincidence, this answers my question that Google DOES display ads relevant to the content on each page.

If this is true, If Google displays ads based on the content of that page. What I can do is find out which keywords are high paying. For example, keywords egg, poultry, chicken are high paying. What I do is make a section on my forum where people discuss about eggs, poultry, farming, chicken etc. Then Google displays ads related to that content. What do you think?

JS92, Mar 14, 2011 IP
  7. JS92

JS92 Peon

Best Answers:
    Btw, does geographical location make any different on the CPC? Like will the click rates be same for someone from a third world country or someone from US?

JS92, Mar 14, 2011 IP
  8. globegenius

globegenius Active Member

Best Answers:
    That is a great question. I would go to Google adsense blog and ask. I've been lucky enough to get over a couple of bucks cpc a few times. It would be like winning the lottery in Colombia with the exchange rate. :cool:

globegenius, Mar 14, 2011 IP
  9. usrecord

usrecord Peon

Best Answers:
    You can get a good ebook out there for free that will guide you. Just search it in google and you can find them.

usrecord, Mar 14, 2011 IP
  10. josephgriffin

josephgriffin Peon

Best Answers:
    I think yes it is, since click from non-european, non-american, and other countries not using english have paid me $0.01

josephgriffin, Mar 14, 2011 IP
  11. JS92

JS92 Peon

Best Answers:
    Somebody please reply to this post.

JS92, Mar 15, 2011 IP