1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Looking for DMOZ moderators

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by HorrorMovies, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    I didn't think DMOZ was even alive anymore... ;)

I see some of my old categories got new editors and they added plenty of junk sites with hype descriptions which Metas can't understand. :rolleyes:

Other categories are in a worse shape than I left them in, zero new sites added and many missing, at lest Robozilla is still working and removes dead links.

So I have to agree with merien, check with web archive, if category hasn't been updated in last few months/years it is "dead as a dodo" and you can forget about ever getting listed in it, better attempt submitting your site to some other category which actually gives signs of life.

Happy new year!

Ivan Bajlo, Dec 28, 2010 IP
    Qryztufre likes this.
  2. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You know better than that Ivan, the end result would be that the site waits there and when it does get a review, it will be moved to where it should have gone and start waiting all over again. Being an ex-editor you know better than to tell someone that.

Happy New Year to you too, all the best for 2011. :)

snooks, Dec 29, 2010 IP
  3. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You are both wrong... according to the guidelines it will not get moved, it will get REmoved.

However, if it's a related category, you have a chance of it getting listed anyway, as there are many crossover categories, so *shrug* Play by your own rules, as they are the only rules you can play by. You certainly can't play by the rules of the ODP, as they change the meaning of words and don't follow their own guidelines *boggle*

Qryztufre, Dec 29, 2010 IP
  4. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You are simply playing on words, as usual. I believe it says "May", though i cant remember exactly, but irregardless, if its submitted to the wrong cat, then if its a quality site it will be moved to the correct cat.

You twist the words - I will state the facts :)

snooks, Dec 29, 2010 IP
  5. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    How am *I* the one twisting the words? Its the editors saying it WILL be moved which is NOT implied in the guidelines at all... so come again?

I keep getting blamed for twisting things around, yet I am also the one using the guidelines for my base. If *I* am the one twisting things, that certainly says a lot about the guidelines and the ODP as a whole does it not?

So please explain how *I* am the one twisting things will get REMOVED rather then simply MOVED from the following statements:
    Identify the single best category for your site. The Open Directory has an enormous array of subjects to choose from. You should submit a site to the single most relevant category. Sites submitted to inappropriate or unrelated categories may be rejected or removed.

So if I am wrong in saying it will get REMOVED please point to the guidelines that say it will be MOVED... then I'll fully agree I am twisting things. As it stands, I am being a LOT more truthful then the editors claiming that it will NOT get rejected.

Qryztufre, Dec 31, 2010 IP
  6. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I guess that when this was written and put in place, they didnt expect some idiot to look and scruitinise every word. They expect people to use common sense.

A site suggested to the wrong category will be:

a. Rejected from the pool if it is obviously unlistable in this cat or any other
    b. Removed from suggestion pools if it is unlistable in this cat or any other.

Otherwise, it will be simply moved to the suggestion pool in the correct category. This is common sense.

Did your mother write "Do not jump in front of a bus" on a piece of paper and give it to you each day? No....she expected you to use common sense and just refrain from doing so.

But you know this Q, being a highly experienced Ex Editor....well an EX Editor with a handful of edits :)

Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
    snooks, Dec 31, 2010 IP
  7. sitearena

sitearena Peon

Best Answers:
    I am happy if i see my website on any one category because i spend more time submitting to this DMOZ which are merely wasted.But i will try again.

sitearena, Dec 31, 2010 IP
    Ivan Bajlo likes this.
  8. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If you are trying by submitting the same site over and over again, please stop. You will at best risk disadvantaging your site by having the date stamp overwritten or at worst you risk getting your site branded as spam and we push the big red button on spam sites, gone for ever. The guidelines you said you had read when you suggested the site told you to submit only once, the exception is to submit to a subject category and then IF your site has a local base of bricks and mortar you can also submit to the regional category where it is based.

Anonymously, Dec 31, 2010 IP
  9. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    How is that common sense? What common sense implies is that it will be REMOVED OR REJECTED, as the statement you are breaking down does NOT imply it will be MOVED or REJECTED, as REMOVED and REJECTED both imply that it will be deleted and not just shuffled. Sorry that I take things as how they are written... I never assumed that the ODP would put up guidelines, then not follow them as they were written.

Though, I guess that IS how the ODP works *sigh* They also claim they are a SERVICE, and they they have LISTINGS, and that the suggestion pool is actually a QUEUE, yet you also claim these things are wrong.

So yeah, I guess they really did mess things up when they wrote such inaccurate statements all over the directory.

I'd say I stand corrected, but I'm not sure what that would be in the ODP's glossary.

Qryztufre, Jan 3, 2011 IP
  10. DhrubaJyotiDeka

DhrubaJyotiDeka Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Just one doubt. Kindly clear my doubt.

You said not to submit into multiple categories.
    But ODP has Editors for particular(one or more) Editor for each. How come each and every Editor can get to know that the site is suggested for other categories too?
    Perhaps we could see the insights. :D

DhrubaJyotiDeka, Mar 10, 2011 IP
    Ivan Bajlo likes this.
  11. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Never mind

jimnoble, Mar 10, 2011 IP
  12. Qryztufre

Best Answers:

Not sure I really follow the question... but a site can be listed in multiple categories (see Topix for example with their 20k deep links of non-original content) as that is something editors can feel free to do... but if a suggester offers up a site to multiple categories it's considered bad form (even if said site fits within all those categories) and that can get your site banned.

Double standard? Certainly... but it's their rules *shrug*

Qryztufre, Mar 11, 2011 IP
  13. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Every site and every editing action is tracked so a delete from one category or a list in one category is seen by every subsequent editor in any category and every edit I have made in 10 years is traceable and logged to me.

Anonymously, Mar 11, 2011 IP
  14. DhrubaJyotiDeka

Best Answers:
    Yeah... their property... so their rule. :D

DhrubaJyotiDeka, Mar 11, 2011 IP
  15. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    And these are the rules
    http://www.dmoz.org/docs/en/add.html

Anonymously, Mar 12, 2011 IP
  16. DhrubaJyotiDeka

Best Answers:
    Sorry Anonymously, not again.

The rules contradict its own rule. If somewhere it is written that only one category is allowed for suggestion, you come up with another portion of rule which says another. :)

I think, instead of being busy on forums, ODP Editors should look after the issue of UPDATE CATEGORY at least once in week.

You people have time for forums, but no time for updating categories which are not being updated for years.

There are tons of categories which are not updated for years.

DhrubaJyotiDeka, Mar 13, 2011 IP
  17. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think you'll find that only a few of our almost 6000 editors have the patience to try and help educate people here. We do this in an attempt to help website owners and simultaneously help ourselves by cutting down on the spam.

We don't come here to argue the toss with those determined not to be educated, which is why I generally ignore your unthinking comments.

jimnoble, Mar 13, 2011 IP
  18. DhrubaJyotiDeka

Best Answers:
    Jim.. O Jim... you are the only person who seems to be proper with speech.

We also don't want any argue.

As I said in RZ forum, my concern is the updates of the categories. No help to website owner is needed. Just keep ODP updated.

As I know you can edit any category. Kindly have a look on the Indian categories, specially Newspapers & Media categories. Those categories are not updated after May/June 2009. In these long period of gap, there are several Newspapers & Media launched. Kindly look how they are in "Waiting list.. like Indian counters of Banks, Railway Tickets etc". :)

Even if I acknowledge that 90% websites don't suit with ODP criteria to get included, but what about the Newspapers & Media? Those too!!!!

19. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    thats really nothing new...

The rules also say: Sites submitted to inappropriate or unrelated categories may be rejected or removed.

Yet, if ya ask around the editors here will tell you differently...

The rules also say that

(source)

Now look at the unique content that Topix offers.

The ODP is FULL of double standards, most of which the editors here FULLY support.

Qryztufre, Mar 13, 2011 IP
  20. DhrubaJyotiDeka

Best Answers:
    In fact nothing is new. :)