1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

will another facebook site be succesful?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by dizigold, Dec 21, 2010.

1. chuka

chuka Peon

Best Answers:
    Hire some good marketers, and start your campaigns.. Gonna be a long road though..

chuka, Mar 8, 2011 IP
  2. Seqqa

Seqqa Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm not going to bullshit you like most around here will with long complicated or fluffy replies. When the really simple answer to your question is no. Unfortunately, there is zero reason why people are going to leave Facebook for any other social networking provider. MySpace is almost at the point of bankruptcy and so was Bebo, personally I'd have a long hard think of what it is exactly I'm doing, if you don't offer any value to the marketplace you will fail. It really is simple.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
    Seqqa, Mar 9, 2011 IP
  3. olivia_smith

olivia_smith Guest

Best Answers:
    Well it might be successful. But in the start don't think that you will be get positive response straight away. Nothing is impossible Facebook threw Orkut out of the scene and you can throw Facebook out of the scene. Good luck:)

olivia_smith, Mar 9, 2011 IP
  4. magicwillow

magicwillow Peon

Best Answers:
    Ah I reckon there is always room for another! Twitter came after facebook remember...

magicwillow, Mar 9, 2011 IP
  5. howtodoz

howtodoz Peon

Best Answers:
    WOW! Great idea man. If you have better idea you should try. If you can offer better options or services then you have chances. But they are growing rapidly and spending lot of money. So its a bit difficult but not impossible.

howtodoz, Mar 9, 2011 IP
  6. Seqqa

Seqqa Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What you don't seem to realize is, is that Twitter is not just 'another' Facebook. Twitter was one of the first services to incorporate microblogging and social networking. The OP to this thread is on about creating an exact clone of Facebook itself which in my opinion totally defeats what you should be trying to achieve.

Make no mistake if you just try and copy Facebook thinking some kind of magic will happen and people are just going to leave Facebook where 600 MILLION people are then I'm you're in for an ugly surprise.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
    Seqqa, Mar 9, 2011 IP
  7. Steve Marino

Steve Marino Peon

Best Answers:
    Exactly, there are countless threads here about cloning other sites. When you're trying to compete with a social networking site where you need millions of users to even be usable, it's totally futile.

Steve Marino, Mar 9, 2011 IP
  8. John@Plymbridge

John@Plymbridge Peon

Best Answers:
    Ha, ha. Good post. You would be Google then?!

Google have vast pots of ready money (a lot more than Facebook) and enormous numbers of users, if it can be done they'll do it I suppose.

I reckon they want to look like Facebook at first to tempt people over. I can't see it working unless there's serious extra functionality. I'm surprised they haven't bought Skype by now, so you can have easy video chats to friends and groups of friends.

John@Plymbridge, Mar 9, 2011 IP
  9. haggler999

haggler999 Peon

Best Answers:
    In starting facebook was low but with the passage of time they get everything.Be patience and do which you want to do like me

haggler999, Mar 10, 2011 IP
  10. Frankrock

Frankrock Peon

Best Answers:
    Do you really want a piece of the pie or would you rather have a different pie altogether? All I'm saying is, if you really pursue on taking Facebook down (or a part of it, which is a little bit more realistic), then go find a niche that Facebook pays less or the least attention (I doubt there is, since Facebook is really big and caters to a wide range of niches). Or better yet, develop an entirely different social network from Facebook and take them down. Good luck!

Frankrock, Mar 12, 2011 IP
  11. Seqqa

Seqqa Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'd take Frankock's advice, because to be honest this is really the best chance you have with moving into the social networking space. I personally just don't think there is space for just another Facebook. But if you went into a niche like LinkedIn did with business networking then you may stand a change at growing a venture like that. I mean if you really want to start another Facebook by all means go for it, but I wouldn't be to shocked if it never went anywhere. I don't mean to be negative at all but I do believe in keeping things real and grounded.

Seqqa, Mar 12, 2011 IP
  12. giorgioarmani

giorgioarmani Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What's your USP?

Facebook came and exploded because it had a USP...

If you have a new one, for sure... You can succeed!

giorgioarmani, Mar 12, 2011 IP
  13. WebDev Solutions

WebDev Solutions Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    In a word, no. You'll simply be burning your time and money.

Best advice; use any capital you were going to invest in this idea and come up with something unique.

WebDev Solutions, Mar 12, 2011 IP
  14. Jakiller

Jakiller Member

Best Answers:
    But they are NOWHERE near the same concept, they are totally different, thats what we are saying, if he comes up with something that improves the current offer, then, well probably he will have a positive response, depending on his ability to market a site and much more, apart from his funding obviously, many factor need to match for a site as bigg as facebook to go down.

Jakiller, Mar 12, 2011 IP
  15. ForgottenCreature

ForgottenCreature Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Ya, when you provide a great product, people will flock.

ForgottenCreature, Mar 12, 2011 IP
  16. exodia

exodia Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The diffrence Here is that StudiVZ launced at a time when facebook wasn't that popular globally and myspace was still king..and that it was a niche strategy in a sense that they targeted Germany rather then the whole world.Funnily users of StudiVz are moving to facebook now.
    So I think you need to rethink your plan and target a niche of some sort and grow from there.Because right now i hate to say it but you will never compete with facebook.

exodia, Mar 13, 2011 IP
  17. exodia

exodia Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    To add to my previous post...If ever your site had something Facebook didnt what do you think will stop Facebook from copying it with the financial muscle they have?

exodia, Mar 13, 2011 IP
  18. rain21

rain21 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think making a facebook like site now is not a good idea, lot of sites made like that and didn't get successful. So if you can, try to develop some other type of site, something like free downloading

rain21, Mar 13, 2011 IP
  19. THK

THK Peon

Best Answers:
    This /\ /\

Even though I wonder what was Facebooks USP? Can someone shed some light on it?

THK, Mar 13, 2011 IP
  20. exodia

exodia Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think FB's USP was simplicity and Mainly requiring people to use their real names. The rest was strategy(Campus only ).

exodia, Mar 13, 2011 IP