1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What is ROR sitemap ????

Discussion in 'Google' started by seoamit04, Mar 8, 2011.

Hi all,
    I have hear about ror.xml sitemap.
    can any one suggest me what is the use of this sitemap, like sitemap.xml we use for google & msn and urllist.txt for yahoo.

seoamit04, Mar 8, 2011 IP
  2. DP_VPN

DP_VPN Peon

Best Answers:
    Sitemaps are an easy way for webmasters to inform search engines about pages on their sites that are available for crawling. In its simplest form, a Sitemap is an XML file that lists URLs for a site along with additional metadata about each URL (when it was last updated, how often it usually changes, and how important it is, relative to other URLs in the site) so that search engines can more intelligently crawl the site.

Web crawlers usually discover pages from links within the site and from other sites. Sitemaps supplement this data to allow crawlers that support Sitemaps to pick up all URLs in the Sitemap and learn about those URLs using the associated metadata. Using the Sitemap protocol does not guarantee that web pages are included in search engines, but provides hints for web crawlers to do a better job of crawling your site.

DP_VPN, Mar 8, 2011 IP
  3. qazu

qazu Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's not a site map but more of a file that describes objects on your site. ROR stands for Resources Of a Resource and from what I can gather, the search engines don't use it.

qazu, Mar 8, 2011 IP
  4. stevenyoung

stevenyoung Peon

Best Answers:
    his free tool will crawl your website and generate a ROR Sitemap with up to 1,000 URLs for ALL search engines, not just Google.
    ROR is a rapidly growing XML format for describing any object on a website (sitemaps, products, services, menus, images, reviews, contact info, business info, etc), so any search engines can better understand its content.

Note:To make your ROR Sitemap automatically readable by all search engines, choose the "ror/rss" format.

stevenyoung, Mar 9, 2011 IP
  5. websitetools

websitetools Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You won't find one single major search engine supporting ROR extensions. They will read the RSS portions though, but then just as well submit a RSS feed file instead of ROR file.

You can check this sitemap examples article which explains and shows code examples of all major types of sitemap files including RSS, ROR etc.

websitetools, Mar 10, 2011 IP
  6. SalishaBrown

SalishaBrown Peon

Best Answers:
    ROR site map promotes the concept of structural feeds or in XML format.While Google Site map creates a site map with HTML and images format .
    Google site maps page was showing about 25000 pages to be in database, however it had indexed only 6-7000 pages. when we did checking, we noticed that our site map format was not exactly as per Google specification. it was more of a RSS site-map. we think that XML site-map is the best of all solution as far as site map for search engines is concerned. but there should not be harm in maintaining ROR site map too, though may not be of much advantage either.

SalishaBrown, Mar 10, 2011 IP
  7. gillcrist32

gillcrist32 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hey thanks mate for sharing this great info. Its really helpful for everyone.

gillcrist32, Mar 11, 2011 IP
  8. intesols

intesols Peon

Best Answers:
    ROR (Resources of a Resource) is a rapidly growing independant XML format for describing any object of your content in a generic fashion, so any search engine can better understand that content. RORweb.com is the official ROR website.

intesols, Mar 11, 2011 IP
  9. seoamit04

seoamit04 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your answer

seoamit04, Mar 11, 2011 IP
  10. ebinx

ebinx Peon

Best Answers:
    Despite it's not supported yet, just like HCARD I would be prepared to implement it.

ebinx, Mar 11, 2011 IP
  11. websitetools

websitetools Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The ROR format has existed since like 2005? (Just check the official site, last news are from 2006....) It's not a format officially supported by any major search engine. But beyond that I think it's a fine extension of RSS. I support it in my sitemapper tool. But I just personally don't think ROR has any future, but you could try contact the owner/creator of the format and ask?

websitetools, Mar 11, 2011 IP