1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Article Marketing Has Crashed! Ezine Articles Sees 71% of Rankings Drop

Discussion in 'Google' started by Chris Munch, Feb 28, 2011.

1. tattoos

tattoos Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah I saw that when it was posted... My initial thought was, How does webmaster tools (Search queries >> Top pages) back up his statement? That big spike on the graph represents "Impressions" not click through traffic, if you enlarge that image and look closely at the little yellow line that represents "clicks" you will see that the clicks went down. That tells me that they are appearing in more searches, but lower in the SERPs and getting less traffic from search.

+ Webmaster tools is unreliable as a traffic guide. If they wanted to "back their statement up" they should have taken a screen grab from, Analytics >> Traffic Sources >> Search Engines >> Google.

I'm not saying they are lying, but it seems strange that they would post a WMTs screen grab that contradicts what they are saying (shows click through traffic going down), instead of a screen grab from Analytics that shows traffic from Google going up.
    Meh

Cheers
    James

tattoos, Mar 8, 2011 IP
  2. 1associate

1associate Peon

Best Answers:
    I've thousands of articles published with the aim of making a liveable monthly income from adsense. I did go through a stage of publishing the same article on different sites. I checked today and even after the changes my best articles are doing well. In one particular case the same article or something else I have written with links to the same article dominates page 1 Google SERPs.

I'm glad that bread heads who have been ripping off writers by paying them peanuts for spinning articles could be stung. I hope Google have figured out ways to penalise bad grammar, spelling and punctuation too.

The big change I am going to make is publishing on my own sites. Then I'll be writing and publishing articles about the article with links to it.

1associate, Mar 9, 2011 IP
  3. simey

simey Active Member

Best Answers:
    Are so many people really missing the point of this update? Article quality? Really?

When I search google daily, I often see ehow in the top 5 results.
    ...ezinearticles, almost never.

Both sites contain a lot of crap articles. The thing is:

*The goal of sites like ehow is to get ranked & show information.

*The goal of sites like ezinearticles is to give webmasters a way to get backlinks. i.e. MANIPULATE GOOGLE! (google hates that!) plus sites like ezinearticles contribute to the epidemic of duplicate content on the web!

Guess which site lost on this update and which site gained?

Other sites that were dinged heavily, may have tried to follow the ehow model, but were full of ezinearticle style copied content.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
    simey, Mar 10, 2011 IP
  4. Fabrizio Van Marciano

Fabrizio Van Marciano Peon

Best Answers:
    These numbers are quite concerning, I've used Ezine for many years. I tend to do more on Hubpages and Squidoo now though. I guess we see a rise and fall in every industry these days and the internet is no exception.

Fabrizio Van Marciano, Mar 10, 2011 IP
  5. simey

simey Active Member

Best Answers:
    Are so many people really missing the point of this update?

When I search google daily, I often see ehow in the top 5 results.
    ...ezinearticles, almost never.

Both sites contain a lot of crap articles. The thing is:

*The point of sites like ehow is to get ranked & show information.

*The point of sites like ezinearticles is to give webmasters a way to get backlinks. i.e. MANIPULATE GOOGLE! (google hates that!) plus sites like ezinearticles contribute to the epidemic of duplicate content on the web!

Guess which site lost on this update and which site gained?

Other sites that were dinged heavily, may have followed the ehow model, but were full of ezinearticle style copied content.

simey, Mar 10, 2011 IP
  6. bfpseller

bfpseller Peon

Best Answers:
    I has to disagree on this "The point of sites like ezinearticles is to give webmasters a way to get backlinks". EnzineArticles used to be a good and simple way to bring traffic, not just for backlinks. Sure now it is not true anymore.

bfpseller, Mar 11, 2011 IP
  7. p4pratikbehera

p4pratikbehera Active Member

Best Answers:
    After all these works a lot and we wont do without these,I will say do all + something more..:)

p4pratikbehera, Mar 11, 2011 IP
  8. nichevalue

nichevalue Peon

Best Answers:
    I think that it was a good change, a lot of the articles on those sites were crap. People just created quickly thrown together articles to get links and then blasted them to all the article directories. And then others pulled that crappy content an plastered it on their autoblogs.

I am going to keep doing what I have always done - create good original content. If you do it right other sites will beginning linking to your content.

nichevalue, Mar 11, 2011 IP
  9. ForgottenCreature

ForgottenCreature Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Basically those articles that didn't really have a lot of links to them in the first place, lost rankings, and now those who earned a living from quick articles that get indexed are whining

ForgottenCreature, Mar 11, 2011 IP
  10. dragons5

dragons5 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    EGS,

good to see you're doing better. However, your chart - like others have stated - shows a rise in impressions, but not an equivocal rise in clicks. Unfortunately the Google Webmasters Keyword Impression chart is horrific at best at accurately displaying this data. It would take an Analytics data dump to soothe those who believe sistrix data, like me. Especially since Anecdotal evidence supports their claims wholeheartedly.

dragons5, Mar 11, 2011 IP
  11. xoxx

xoxx Peon

Best Answers:
    content farms are going down hill i guess

xoxx, Mar 12, 2011 IP
  12. mchrest

mchrest Active Member

Best Answers:
    Crap article marketing is simply a dead form of SEO. If your article is not interesting or useful then likely its crap spam ...seems pretty simple to me. Questions is are press releases same now too?

mchrest, Mar 12, 2011 IP
  13. Oranges

Oranges Active Member

Best Answers:
    Google Algorithm and bots reads source code text of the page, they don't know if the page is an article in a directory or its a press release!
    So it applies to crap content, then be it a press release or an article in EZA or on any other website.

Oranges, Mar 12, 2011 IP
  14. yaseen4u

yaseen4u Peon

Best Answers:
    will it affect the blog. if means surely i ll loss visitor.

yaseen4u, Mar 12, 2011 IP
  15. iEmploy

iEmploy Peon

Best Answers:
    I think the biggest difference between eHow and eZine are the article authoring guidelines. While ezine does have them it's tougher to become an expert on eHow from what I've been told. That's where the difference lies. One is nearly fully exploitable while the other seems to be more user focused. I think they were just choosing big sites to drop just to scare the rest of the Internet into complying...

Think about it, why else would they punish Mahalo?

iEmploy, Mar 13, 2011 IP
  16. dragons5

Best Answers:
    Google stated that they WOULD NOT handle this on case by case basis. They developed a change to the algorithm to handle this. If we look at the clues it's likely that they did so based on lexical analysis, grammar checks, spelling checks, etc... taking a score for all indexed content on a domain and each page. That could be how eHow escaped and article sites got demolished. Not sure it helps explain mahalo, but it's the one exception.

Clues:
    - USA only
    - Targeted low quality written content
    - Targeted domains benefiting from low quality content

Why USA only? Google could easily push this update live world-wide within days like they do multiple times per year. They specified that it would be only USA based at the beginning. Google's .COM or USA version is the most popular of all the Google engines, so that would be a good reason to start there. But remember they are going after WRITTEN content. Language and dialects change from nation to nation. Canada, Australia, UK and USA english are much different from one another. So by starting USA only they could develop an algo to detect language and dialect issues that affect the LARGEST population of search results. This gives them a huge head start as they tweak it for each individual nation.

Now if they ran such analysis on all content indexed across a domain and said x% is the threshold for a low penalty and, x% for a high penalty that would start weeding out auto-blogs that use things like WP-Robot to spin content and post it automatically.

They could then do analysis on individual pieces of content and toss in a beefed up duplicate content check using a reverse spinning software to check for spun content. That content would have already added to the domain's penalty and would likely be ranked much lower, if indexed at all.

Finally they could add into the algorithm a user-centric metric like bounce rate from the SERPs (time on site would be inconceivable since they can't get that data for every site) and CTR in the SERPs (do people trust the site enough to click it).

I would peg the domain-wide analysis, and individual content analysis as weighted heavier than the other two. Google understands that people clicks on brands they know and trust more than those they've never heard of so getting Organic traffic is already hard enough for a new brand, I don't think they would make it much harder. The bounce rate would be a cleaner metric to use since it would encourage better site design with fewer ads (putting the web spam team at odds with the adsense/adwords team).

dragons5, Mar 13, 2011 IP
  17. dragons5

Best Answers:
    this prediction came true. in my estimate nearly 20% of platinum authors got suspended and links nofollowed.

dragons5, Mar 15, 2011 IP
  18. StonerJay

StonerJay Peon

Best Answers:
    Yep. On the decline big time... however it's not dead... just stop submitting the same crappy, recycled, spun articles.

StonerJay, Mar 15, 2011 IP
  19. simey

simey Active Member

Best Answers:
    If you go to a site like semrush which measures keywords a site ranks for, you can see (if you have an acct.) that ezinearticles (previously) ranked 1st for terms such as:
    magnesium deficiency symptoms
    animal abuse facts
    vitamin c overdose
    mental abuse
    ocd treatment

Plus a lot of "money" terms. The terms that spammers target. Now they aren't even on the radar.

Did they ever deserve to rank 1st for that stuff?
    And they're never getting it back.

simey, Mar 16, 2011 IP
  20. seoguru4u

seoguru4u Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks chris-tew for this information grate work thanks for share

seoguru4u, Mar 16, 2011 IP