1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Article Marketing Has Crashed! Ezine Articles Sees 71% of Rankings Drop

Discussion in 'Google' started by Chris Munch, Feb 28, 2011.

1. dragons5

dragons5 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I completely agree, but it's more difficult for Google to rank video content. I sent an email to Danny Sullivan (Search Engine Land) and asked him why google doesn't consider youtube a content farm since it's largely crap content. He said he might look into it. Try the keyphrase "how to knit" Youtube out ranks authoritative and active knitting communities. A six minute video outranking a 6,0000+ knowledgeable niche community is ridiculous

dragons5, Mar 7, 2011 IP
  2. dragons5

Best Answers:
    precisely. why there isn't a video creation subsection here on dp yet is out of my understanding. hey content creators.... can you hear us?

dragons5, Mar 7, 2011 IP
  3. dragons5

Best Answers:
    if you lost rankings it's because your content was so awful it was deindexed or stripped of page rank. Google didn't do a lot of that, it was mostly just adjusting the rankings, but it's possible that your content was so shallow and grammatically incorrect that it was seen as scraper junk and booted from the index. if that's the case then the links in that content also got hit.

dragons5, Mar 7, 2011 IP
  4. dragons5

Best Answers:
    Link loss via attrition: The Panda or Farmer update focused on content. Google is indexing more now and needed to find a way to display the best content for a query while going after farms and scrapers. The solution seems to be a domain-wide penalty after doing some major lexical analysis and possible adjustment of internal link weight. That means that a page on Ezine will be under more scrutiny than a page on say, Facebook. Why? Because that domain has been tabbed by the algorithm to be home to x% of junk. How they decide that is anyones guess. The update took Ezine from a PR7 to a PR6 and seems to have placed a penalty on their rankings. The point is that Google didn't say "we know you made this article to get a link, so we are no longer counting it." In fact my backlinks from Google still shows about 50% of all ezine articles i ever submitted.

What is happening is that page, your article, may not be getting page rank anymore and so google is no longer indexing the link. Or the page rank was reduced and therefore the link juice is also reduced.

Now take into account that every article directory survives on advertising based on SE traffic. The less traffic, the less money they make. Eventually the industry is going to see some shut down, some mergers and a few sites will be left on top with better practices and better quality. Links on these websites will continue to count while obviously the shut down sites will stop counting.

My prediction: Ezine lasts through the update. lots of others get shut down.

Google admits that bad content on a site can affect other content:
    http://searchengineland.com/google-weve-made-no-significant-changes-to-the-farmer-update-66591
    “Sites that believe they have been adversely impacted by the change should be sure to extensively evaluate their site quality. In particular, it’s important to note that low quality pages on one part of a site can impact the overall ranking of that site.”

dragons5, Mar 7, 2011 IP
  5. DocuMaker

DocuMaker Active Member

Best Answers:
    There's a huge difference between article submission and guest posting (blogging). With guest posting, you're allowed one unique article per blog. With article submission, you're allowed one (non-unique) article in thousands of article directories.

DocuMaker, Mar 7, 2011 IP
  6. borber

borber Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No, article marketing alive. Article directories got down in SERP, but they are still in the index. The question now is if links from the articles directories will work for SEO? If yes, everything in using article marketing as part of linkbuilding is the same as it was. Will see in a while...

borber, Mar 7, 2011 IP
  7. indyonline

indyonline Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    It kinda pisses me off. I don't have an article directory but have found some articles at ezine to be quite valuable when I have searched for things in the past.

indyonline, Mar 7, 2011 IP
  8. GuruCreation

GuruCreation Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Keeping to the title of this thread about EzineArticles losing 71% of their ranking... Is anyone else noticing a huge delay in getting their articles approved within the 24-48hours if you're a Platinum Level Author?

I have some articles submitted to them dated back to 2/28/2011, 3/02/2011, and 3/04/2011 and they are all "Pending Quality Control Review" status. Today is 3/7/2011 and still not approved....Now, every single article I submit there is a "Unique" piece and of "Quality" as well... I have just over 200 approved articles there and it has never ever taken longer than 48hours, unless I submitted an article over the weekend.

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this with them, or even other article directories for that matter?

Thanks
    GC

GuruCreation, Mar 7, 2011 IP
  9. dragons5

Best Answers:
    yes, tbh i haven't been following their blog as religiously as last week, but my guess is they are working on improving their system to cut the junk out. i would guess some platinum authors are about to get owned to.

dragons5, Mar 7, 2011 IP
  10. GuruCreation

Best Answers:
    I think you just might be right... Or, they're going to remove the saturated niches completely, which in turn, those Platinum authors associated with those niches might be X'ed out as well.

11. dragons5

Best Answers:
    MeanWhile MBG is seeing record websites join, all of them are PR0 or unranked brand spanking new blogs... hmmmmm

dragons5, Mar 7, 2011 IP
  12. GuruCreation

Best Answers:
    MBG? hmmmmmmmmmm.........Slipped my mind.... ;)

13. dragons5

Best Answers:
    btw. It's only february, Page has been in charge only 2 months and his pagerank algo got a huge upgrade, get ready for a crazy 2011

dragons5, Mar 7, 2011 IP
  14. brandonbw

brandonbw Peon

Best Answers:
    As someone trying to post real articles that I write myself without spin, I hope this helps get rid of so much spam I see all over the place. I wonder if this new change is the reason new articles are taking forever to get approved on ezine the last few weeks.

brandonbw, Mar 7, 2011 IP
  15. Oranges

Oranges Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes! The fact is that people will find alternatives to rank crap content anyhow, then be it a video, PDF or a .Doc file. Common you know what i mean! All you need is strong backlinks, smart title with description and a bit of On-page!

Oranges, Mar 8, 2011 IP
    zenilshroff likes this.
  16. premierfabio

premierfabio Peon

Best Answers:
    My site's PR raised from 4 to 6 last year. The most important reason is because I adopted article submission. But at the beginnig of 2011, it dropped to 5, but the keywords were sitill where they were. When the PANDA came its rankings dropped 4 or 5... I hate PANDA.

premierfabio, Mar 8, 2011 IP
  17. Thampard

Thampard Peon

Best Answers:
    So I guess it does interfere with Article submittion for SEO then. Well, that isn't too good as a lot of us rely of that a lot don't we?

Thampard, Mar 8, 2011 IP
  18. EGS

EGS Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Ubergizmo Disagrees

Look toward the end of the chart above, and you’ll see site Ubergizmo listed. However, in the comments below, Ubergizmo’s Hubert Nguyen suggests that Sistrix has it wrong. His site’s search related traffic has gone up since the change, and he’s posted a chart to back that up:

[​IMG]

The data is from Google Webmaster Central. What could be happening is that Sistrix is right — Ubergizmo may have lost rankings — but it might also be better placed in some other searches where it has retained these but other sites have dropped.

EGS, Mar 8, 2011 IP
    zenilshroff likes this.
  19. GuruCreation

Best Answers:
    That only shows up to Feb. 25th...

Show a graph up until now... March 8th.

or the latest it will let you.

Thanks
    GC

GuruCreation, Mar 8, 2011 IP
  20. poppaippi

poppaippi Active Member

Best Answers:
    Do article marketing for backlinks..don't do it for traffic..this is where some people loss it..

"Black Seo Guy "Signing Off"

poppaippi, Mar 8, 2011 IP